Willpower
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

I am considering booking the Spirit of India tour for April 2016. I am aware that there has been a recent problem regarding Indian Visas requiring Biometric data. Can you tell me what the latest information is, as you understand it.

Will Just You be helping in this respect, or is it left entirely up to the individual?

Thank you

Graham Williams

(Member)
Hi Graham,

Unfortunately the process is quite complicated & processes are changing from week to week. Currently, we are advising customers 3 months before departure whether we can still process their Indian visas.

I hope this helps, and I apologise for the complications regarding the visa. We are positive in the next couple of months the process will become more simplified as the authorities are keen to implement the e-visa for the forthcoming Indian season.

Kindest Regards,

Monty

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Graham

I am doing trip to Kerala in September. I obtained my own visa and found the process quite straightforward. The Indian government have not yet introduced biometric data collection and I simply completed online application form and took it to visa centre in Glasgow. I received passport with visa inserted the following week.

As Monty says the situation may be different come 2016 but hopefully it will still be relatively straightforward.

Lesley

Willpower
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Monty. Can this information be distributed when / if this happens.

Thanks

Graham W

(Member)
Hi Graham,

We have been advised the official announcement re the e-visa facility is expected any day, but to be honest this has been the case for over a month now! I will ensure that a member of the Just You team will keep our customers informed.

Kindest regards,

Monty

Willpower
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you for your information Lesley. I hope you enjoy your trip. :thumbup:
Princi
(Member)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi Graham

I am doing trip to Kerala in September. I obtained my own visa and found the process quite straightforward. The Indian government have not yet introduced biometric data collection and I simply completed online application form and took it to visa centre in Glasgow. I received passport with visa inserted the following week.

As Monty says the situation may be different come 2016 but hopefully it will still be relatively straightforward.

Lesley

Hi Lesley

Did you do your visa by post, or in person, the Indian Visa website is not the easiest read, well not at 02:00am.

Alex

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Alex

I eventually worked my way around the visa site. I completed the application form online, printed off a copy and then requested an appointment to deliver the form to the local visa centre. I live about 15 miles away from Glasgow and can take an express bus to the city.

I handed in form, my passport and photos, paid the fee and passport was returned to me about ten days later. I also saved £45 doing it myself!!

Hope this helps

Lesley

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Monty/Alex

Have just checked the Indian High Commission website and it appears that e-visas are available to UK passport holders from 15th August. Might be worth checking out.

Lesley

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Alex

Indian High Commissioner has backed off and biometric data collection is no longer required. The only thing that has changed is they have outsourced their Visa applications and there are quite a few centres dotted around the country. The company is called VF Services (UK) Ltd. I googled 'India Visa' today and got all the information there. You fill in an online form, submit it and book an appointment online as well. There are choices of dates and times. You print out the form and the appointment confirmation letter to take with you along with your passport, photos and payment. I have booked an appointment for 23 September and will let you know how I got on. I was planning to go to the Indian High Commission offices in Aldwych, London as Visas were issued from there before. You do have to pay a fee of £7.44 to VFS on top of the Visa fee of £82.00.

Jaya

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

Forgot to add to the previous posting that it is quite annoying that UK citizens are charged a lot more for the Visa than a lot of other countries!! I wonder why?

Jaya

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Jaya

I have checked and you can find evisa application form on Indian High Commission website. Did not access forms etc but it looks straightforward .

Regards

Lesley

TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
I'm off to India at the end of November, so I'm expecting more paperwork in the next few weeks, so hopefully that will give the latest position
lesley07
(Member)
Hi Tim

The website for e-visa information and application form etc is www.indianvisaonline.gov.in

Hope this is helpful

Lesley.

fleurbyfleur
(Member)
Just looked at the e-visa website - I haven't a clue how to provide the square online photo.

Any tips would be welcome 😞

Princi
(Member)
Thanks Lesley and Jaya.

I like E visas, as they are easier, appointments are okay if you can get one to suit.

Jaya look forward to reading your comments on the process.

And your right Jaya it is odd British citizens have to pay more, normally with previous commonwealth countries we get a reduced rate.

Hey ho, maybe historically we upset them,( oooops)

Enjoy what's left of the b/holiday weekend.

IanWight
(Member)
Hi fleurbyflueur,

I have just done a photo for an Indian e-visa.

I am on the Isle of Wight and used a local high street photographic retailer. I happen to know the guys in there and checked beforehand that they could do this. I have used them before for ordinary passport photos since the Passport Office started getting fussy about dimensions and where the eyes should be etc. I got the passport checked at the Post Office who said where I used was the best place on the IoW and their photos never got rejected! It might be worth asking at the Post Office if you are not sure who does the best photos!

I simply took a copy of the latest update from the website re photos along & they did the rest. My retailer could either e-mail me the photo or you could do as I did and I took a memory stick in & he copied it onto there.

Hope that helps.

fleurbyfleur
(Member)
Thank you, Ian! I really appreciate your tip. I've a few weeks yet before I need

to apply for the visa but I'll start researching now. I'll start with Jessops.

fleurbyfleur
(Member)
Hi Ian and anyone else who is baffled by the e-visa photo.

Jessops will do the job but need you to take in a memory stick.

But a little local photographic shop near me will do the photo and email it.

Simples!

Thank you!

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
It is great that we can now get E-Visa for India. I too have to find a place in Luton who will be able to take the exact photo required. Not sure why there is such a fuss about the photo to get an E-Visa! I have looked at the website and it is an easy process. Getting the exact dimensional photo is a bigger challenge!! Those of you planning more trips to India, be aware that you can only apply for 2 E-Visas in a year.

Jaya