DAFFIEGIRL
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am considering the New England in the fall tour. The hotel in New York appears to be in the financial district. How far is it from the main sites, and how easy is to get to them independantly? Also, can you tell me whether the included city tour takes in the staue of liberty, or if it is available as an optional tour?
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Daffiegirl

The hotel is within walking distance of South Street Seaport, Wall Street, the World Trade Center site and Century 21, a popular shopping venue for tourists. For those sights a little further away, the hotel is located on the same block as major subway lines that can take you directly to Times Square in less than 25 minutes - in fact the subway is able to take you (directly or with a change) to many of the popular sites including Rockafeller Plaza and Central Park.

In terms of the Statue of Liberty, this is not included in the city tour nor do we offer it as an optional excursion. But, you do have time at leisure in New York which you could use to take a trip to see it.

Kindest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Julia

Daffie girl thanks for asking this question

thanks for this information it will help me plan things later in the year.

Cindy

DAFFIEGIRL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi Daffiegirl

The hotel is within walking distance of South Street Seaport, Wall Street, the World Trade Center site and Century 21, a popular shopping venue for tourists. For those sights a little further away, the hotel is located on the same block as major subway lines that can take you directly to Times Square in less than 25 minutes - in fact the subway is able to take you (directly or with a change) to many of the popular sites including Rockafeller Plaza and Central Park.

In terms of the Statue of Liberty, this is not included in the city tour nor do we offer it as an optional excursion. But, you do have time at leisure in New York which you could use to take a trip to see it.

Kindest regar

Julia

Would I be able to book any independant excursions from the hotel? It looks as though the only time available to visit the statue is the morning of depature, timing may be an issue. I'm a bit surprised JY doesn't offer a visit to one the most iconic sights of New York.

JY Will
(Member)
Hi Daffiegirl,

I have stayed at this hotel and it is really good (great breakfast!)

as Julia mentioned it is very close to Ground Zero, the Staten Island Ferry (best free views of the Statue of Liberty!) and is about a 5 min subway ride from Times Square.

the thing I like about the area is that there are lots of nice cafes, bars and restaurants - and none that are overly touristy

AbbaDave
(Member)
We stayed in wall street in the financial district and the subway was very easy to use to get to Times square etc which is 42nd street it's not far best to get a pass for the duration of your stay, yes all that Julia mentioned. are in the area as well as the new York police department NYPD museum
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Will and Dave

I am loving the sound of where the hotel is situated...

NYPD museum sounds like a visit might have to be had there...like a man in uniform..

When I was last there 2006 I went to the fire house close to 9/11 they were so happy to see people got some great pictures of the men in uniform and the fire truck..

Cindy

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Quote:

Would I be able to book any independant excursions from the hotel? It looks as though the only time available to visit the statue is the morning of depature, timing may be an issue. I'm a bit surprised JY doesn't offer a visit to one the most iconic sights of New York.

Hi Lucinda,

I'm sure the hotel would be able to assist with finding a suitable excursion for you.

Excursions that we do offer are as follows:

Circle Cruise (£ 26.00)

This is just about everyone’s favourite excursion in the ‘Big Apple’! This 2.5hr cruise sails all the way around Manhattan Island and takes in over 101 city sights of it’s exciting skyline, including a close-up of the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge and the Yankee Stadium. Each cruise is narrated by one of the professional onboard guides.

2.5 Hour Cruise

Helicopter Flight - New York New York (£ 161.00)

Soar above New York Harbour to view all of New York City’s most captivating sights. Your tour begins down the Hudson River, flying by Manhattan’s Financial District, allowing for a birds eye view of the Statue of Liberty, the newly refurbished Governors Island, Ellis Island and the Verrazano Bridge. Your helicopter will then continue up the Hudson River towards Midtown where you will see all of New York City’s most famous skyscrapers, including the Empire State Building and the Chrysler building, along with the USS Intrepid, Central Park, St. John the Devine Cathedral, Columbia University, George Washington Bridge and the Palisades of New Jersey.

Scenic Flight approx. 20 minutes

Helicopter Flight - The Big Apple (£ 119.00)

This very popular tour provides awe inspiring views of the Big Apple’s most iconic landmarks. As you soar above the famous Hudson River you will fly right by the magnificent Statue of Liberty in all of her glory. View Governors and Ellis Islands and see Manhattans Financial District before cruising past the cavernous landscape of the NYC skyline. Sights include the Empire State Building, Chrysler,Woolworth and Met Life Buildings and the USS Intrepid to mention a few. You will even catch a glimpse of the George Washington Bridge and the world renowned Central Park before heading back to the heliport.

Scenic Flight approx. 15 minutes

New York by Night ( £35.00)

A fantastic opportunity to see the great sights of Manhattan Island illuminated! During your tour of the city you'll also visit Times Square to view the lights followed by a trip up the Empire State Building for magnificent views of the Big Apple.

Kindest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
My very first helicopter flight was the one above - Big Apple it was amazing and well worth the money.

I did the Empire State Building independently....well worth going up.

Cindy

Lucinda
(Member)
Hi Daffiegirl

I did the travelsphere version of Canada in the fall last October. I did the circle cruise on the last day which cruises very close and loops around the Statue of Liberty. I guess if you actually want to go on to the island you would have to get a boat over there.

The other things I did was the New York by night, where you went up the Empire State Building at night which was fantastic, and the city tour by day. I also visited Rockefeller plaza and went up as well, which gives a very different view to that of the empire. Central Park is lovely to have a walk around too.

This was a fantastic trip all round and my highlight was niagra falls

DAFFIEGIRL
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Julia

The circle cruise looks just what I want. One more question, how are the numbers going for the different departure dates in the fall?

SusieB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for all the info on trips in New York. I'm going on 29 Sept with the add-on so hope to have time to do several of them and am already getting excited when I read posts like these. Anyone else going on that date too?

Sue 🙂

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
'DAFFIEGIRL' wrote:

Thank you Julia

The circle cruise looks just what I want. One more question, how are the numbers going for the different departure dates in the fall?

Hi,

That's great news!

All dates have travellers booked on them - September is selling slightly better at the moment but I would imagine this is simply because October seems like such a long way off.

Kindest regards,

Julia