nixon
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Julia, or fellow travellers perhaps:huh:

Canada ...Boston ....New England with New York add on Sept 2014:thumbup:

Can anyone give me a rough idea, how much a taxi is from the hotel to the airport on the New York add on.:idea:

I do find it a bit strange we have to make our own way from the hotel to the airport on the add on part? When I was on the Kenya add on JY was responsible for the transport to the airport, perhaps this was because it was Kenya.:s

Theatre tickets for shows, anyone know is it cheaper to pay this end or pay out there, last time I was there I queued for the cheap tickets, they were a good deal.:)

As I am trying to arrange things independently for the add on part, ie distances to things I don't want to keep going backwards and forwards on my self, is there any way of finding out the New York hotel name before we get the final details? I do realise not this soon..LOL... :D:cool:

Cindy:angel::heart:

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy,

I shall go through these step by step.....

So I have been told that if you take a standard New York cab, then they have a fixed fare to JFK airport of around $50 or so. You can also take the train easily and very cheaply. You could always splash out and have a limo service to end your holiday in style! Your hotel’s front desk and your tour manager will be able to give you all the info that you will need.

Because the New York add-on is not accompanied by a tour manager we thought it would be best from a freedom and flexibility point of view to let travellers chose their own arrangements back to the airport.

In terms of show tickets, JY Will has always found the best way to do it is to go to the TKTS booth in Times Square on the day you want to go. Availability isn’t guaranteed though but the discounts are big! It would be worth booking in advance if there is a show you really want to see, or take pot luck on the day if you just fancy seeing anything on Broadway.

I would work on the assumption that you will be in the brochured hotel, but please feel free to ask me to check in a few months. We do try to keep to the hotels we have in the brochure but sadly there are times that for operational reasons we have to change these.

Kindest regards,

Julia

DouglasL
(Member)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi Cindy,

I shall go through these step by step.....

So I have been told that if you take a standard New York cab, then they have a fixed fare to JFK airport of around $50 or so. You can also take the train easily and very cheaply. You could always splash out and have a limo service to end your holiday in style! Your hotel’s front desk and your tour manager will be able to give you all the info that you will need.

Because the New York add-on is not accompanied by a tour manager we thought it would be best from a freedom and flexibility point of view to let travellers chose their own arrangements back to the airport.

In terms of show tickets, JY Will has always found the best way to do it is to go to the TKTS booth in Times Square on the day you want to go. Availability isn’t guaranteed though but the discounts are big! It would be worth booking in advance if there is a show you really want to see, or take pot luck on the day if you just fancy seeing anything on Broadway.

I would work on the assumption that you will be in the brochured hotel, but please feel free to ask me to check in a few months. We do try to keep to the hotels we have in the brochure but sadly there are times that for operational reasons we have to change these.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi, Cindy

I used to go to New York a lot on business and also on holiday. I would never take a taxi out to the airport. I always used to book a "shared shuttle", which would pick me up from my hotel. The Concierge could advise you re this, but also, if you go to the website for JFK Airport, it should have all the info for travelling to the airport from the city.

Regards,

Douglas.

:cool:

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Cindy,

Long time ago 2005 I was in NY the cost of a taxi then was $50 from JFK to downtown (poss including tip but memory not that good).

This was a fixed rate that the man organising the queue tells you after you give him your hotel address, he tells the driver where you are going (not all of them speak good english), I believe all hotels in downtown manhatton are the same cost. Its a good way to stop rogue drivers ripping you off as you know the cost before you get in the cab.

Not sure the train goes to the airport certainly didn't back then you had to catch a bus to the nearest station, maybe thats changed.

Mick

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy,

With my personal, "non-Just You" hat on, and to follow on from Mick and Douglas, when I was out in NYC a few years ago I used the airport shuttle quite a few times and found it to be reasonably priced and very reliable. The only time we were delayed was because 42nd Street was closed for filming - and even then we managed to leave in between takes and get to the airport on time. I found them through the JFK website and while they did hotel pick ups, as I was based out of the city I just used one of their "generic" stops.

Kindest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Julia, Douglas, Mick

Thanks for your replies, gives me something to work with, personally I will go for the most straight forward option, regarding getting to the airport.

The booth in Times Square must of been where I got a great deal from last time so will go for that option! there is nothing I desperately want to see! there should be something decent I can get to see I am sure.

Regarding the hotel I will have a look what's around the hotels in the brochure and check back for information on the hotel nearer the time.

thanks one and all

Cindy

larmen
  • (Member)
(Member)
JFK is easily reached via the Metro, and as it is your journey back you should be familiar with the system at that point. Otherwise there is a standard fare JFK to Manhattan, so I guess there might be one back as well.

I only once took a cab from JFK because I got told it is a great view when seeing Manhattan for the 1st time.

As for tickets, unfortunately I only found out when leaving that on the back of the stairs at Times Square are these discount places. In London their are all over, in NYC there is one 'hidden at the obvious place'.

turnke
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy,

If you want more choice of Broadway shows,go to www.playbill.com this site shows all shows either on Broadway or coming soon.It lists those shows which are discounted,and you are not restricted to the day of performance.You can sign on to their newsletter,which updates any offers.

Beats being frozen at TKTS by the wind coming down Broadway and 7th Avenue.It is particularly useful for new shows,they are unlikely to be discounted,but,it is your best chance to get a ticket.

It's 3 years since I have been to NY,but,the cabs were about $45 plus about $5 for the toll and 15-20% tip.As others have said the dispatcher at the airport will tell you if the fare has gone up from $45.

Keith

the_baron1
(Member)
Hi Cindy, If you go on the EarthCam website and look at the Times Square Cam you can sometimes see the long Q's both sides of the steps for the Ticket booths for the shows on Broadway.

Eric

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Cindy,

Last in NYC 2006. We had found that the airport shuttle dropped you off at various parts of the city and I think $15 for a return. ( was it really 7 years ago !)

I know what you mean about making your own way- 15 hours overnight on the National Express to get to Inverness for the Steam trains of the Highlands. It was only when I got there that I found out it would have been easier from Gatwick!

Jan.

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Cindy we took the train from the airport to Howard Beach where you then pick up the subway down into Manhatten, was very easy, in fact as I recall we bought a weekly pass ticket at Howard Beach for the subway, we went to show and purchased through ticketmaster before we went but you can get tickets easily enough at booths around times square etc we got ours in advance as there were four of us as to get good seats together

Dave