Bosuncat
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi there. Guess I am asking this mighty early so you might not be able to answer it yet.

I love the look of the new Calabria holiday although it is rather expensive ( probably reflected in the fact that the hotel looks something special).

I did wonder about a couple of things though.

Although the hotel does look splendid it does look somewhat isolated, and it seems difficult to access the nearest village even though the hotel is on a main road, I normally carry a small amount of Euros with me and then the majority of my money on a cash passport. Although I realise that it should be easy to change money on the various trips I wonder if you can find out for me if they have a money exchange at the hotel?

Secondly accessibilty to the beach. In the reviews I have read (which are mostly spendid) the private lift to the beach features prominently! However it appears there are then more steps down to the beach. I couldnt find this mentioned in the brochure but I was wondering how many there are and is there some kind of hand rail (I am not that good at steps without a hand rail). Sorry to be picky

My last question concerns flight times. Again I recognise that it is almost inevitable that these will change. However it does mention that departure from the hotel is after breakfast, but the arrival time at Gatwick is given as 22.00. Is that a misprint as again it states in the brochure that the transfer time is about 2 hours? I personally have a problem with arrival at Gatwick at that late hour as it almost inevitably means booking a hotel and as far as I am aware none of the reasonably priced b and b's in the area have 24 hour reception.

Apologies for asking so many questions so early. I love the look of the trip and the hotel looks awesome. It's one of the ones I am considering but that late arrival back into Gatwick concerns me and I cannot understand why if the departure from the hotel is after breakfast.

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good afternoon,

My apologies for taking a few days to get your answer to you. Our Tour Manager has replied with the following,

---------------------------

The hotel is quietly located, the nearest town is Cetraro, approx 3km from the hotel, but not really within walking distance, however the hotel have a minibus hotel service and charge approx €5pp return.

You may also take the hotel minibus to get to the nearest village. Its really quite nice, but no fancy shops or anything. Lots of narrow lanes to explore (bit like a maze). A few very old churches, its so old that modern times have left it....fascinating!

Walking down to the beach involves walking towards main entrance, and there you find steps (about 30) leading towards the lift. Once lift reaches down level, you continue walk through a well lit short tunnel. Once outside tunnel, you can turn left along pathway (15mins walk) heading down towards very long sandy beach (very fine stones). Further along beach there is a cafe selling ice creams, coffee and teas. Out of season it closes at 13.00.

Our more ambitious clients have walked even further and found the underpass which connects you to main road an a steep walk up-hill to Cetrara town. Time has stood still there. Mazed lanes and ceramic plaques with scenes depicted by school children. Tiny chapels here and there. OK,back to the end of tunnel, turn right and follow path towards more steps leading you down to small rocky beach, complete with hotel ristorante and a very nice cafe which belongs to San Michele Hotel. The optional trips are worth while taking, Its Calabria one goes to see!

------------------------

In respect of flight times, would you mind letting me know which departure date you are looking at travelling on,

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Ben' wrote:

Good afternoon,

My apologies for taking a few days to get your answer to you. Our Tour Manager has replied with the following,

The hotel is quietly located, the nearest town is Cetraro, approx 3km from the hotel, but not really within walking distance, however the hotel have a minibus hotel service and charge approx €5pp return.

You may also take the hotel minibus to get to the nearest village. Its really quite nice, but no fancy shops or anything. Lots of narrow lanes to explore (bit like a maze). A few very old churches, its so old that modern times have left it....fascinating!

Walking down to the beach involves walking towards main entrance, and there you find steps (about 30) leading towards the lift. Once lift reaches down level, you continue walk through a well lit short tunnel. Once outside tunnel, you can turn left along pathway (15mins walk) heading down towards very long sandy beach (very fine stones). Further along beach there is a cafe selling ice creams, coffee and teas. Out of season it closes at 13.00.

Our more ambitious clients have walked even further and found the underpass which connects you to main road an a steep walk up-hill to Cetrara town. Time has stood still there. Mazed lanes and ceramic plaques with scenes depicted by school children. Tiny chapels here and there. OK,back to the end of tunnel, turn right and follow path towards more steps leading you down to small rocky beach, complete with hotel ristorante and a very nice cafe which belongs to San Michele Hotel. The optional trips are worth while taking, Its Calabria one goes to see!

------------------------

In respect of flight times, would you mind letting me know which departure date you are looking at travelling on,

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

Many thanks for going to this trouble Ben. It sounds amazing.

The departure date I am thinking of is Saturday 4th May. It's not the flight out that is bothering me but the return flight arrival time.

Please thank the Tour Manager for me for such a detailed description.

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Ben' wrote:

Good afternoon,

------------------------

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

For everyone's interest Ben, I found the hotel featured on YouTube

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Ben. Any news on the flights situation yet please? I have looked on the Monarch website but that was down when I checked. I see Page and Moy use Naples as the airport.
Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good morning,

Sorry for the delayed reply, its taken me a few days to get to the bottom of this one! I can confirm the brochure has been printed incorrectly, it is a morning departure from the hotel and an afternoon flight, it will be an early evening arrival at Gatwick.

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Ben' wrote:

Good morning,

Sorry for the delayed reply, its taken me a few days to get to the bottom of this one! I can confirm the brochure has been printed incorrectly, it is a morning departure from the hotel and an afternoon flight, it will be an early evening arrival at Gatwick.

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

Thanks Ben. I really appreciate all the trouble you have gone to on this one and hope it has helped other people that are looking at the trip too.

shyanne
(Member)
Well, I have booked this holiday for 20th July next year!! Talk about forward planning! I was initially unsure as it involves the hassle of getting from Manchester to Gatwick but after some research, decided that it will be worth it. I have upgraded to a sea view with balcony so look forward to looking at the sunset drink in hand!

Some of the reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor are a bit mixed about the efficiency of the air conditioning and the service from reception staff but as we will have a tour manager, I am sure any glitches will soon be sorted out.

I need to phone the JY Booking Team again in the light on the information about flight times especially as BA have just pulled out of Manchester to Gatwick flights! It looks as if a flight down to Heathrow and a taxi journey to Gatwick might be cheaper than flying to Gatwick with an overnight hotel on the return journey - does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'shyanne' wrote:

Well, I have booked this holiday for 20th July next year!! Talk about forward planning! I was initially unsure as it involves the hassle of getting from Manchester to Gatwick but after some research, decided that it will be worth it. I have upgraded to a sea view with balcony so look forward to looking at the sunset drink in hand!

Some of the reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor are a bit mixed about the efficiency of the air conditioning and the service from reception staff but as we will have a tour manager, I am sure any glitches will soon be sorted out.

I need to phone the JY Booking Team again in the light on the information about flight times especially as BA have just pulled out of Manchester to Gatwick flights! It looks as if a flight down to Heathrow and a taxi journey to Gatwick might be cheaper than flying to Gatwick with an overnight hotel on the return journey - does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Well done on booking so early. I am still dithering over this one, Venice and the Veneto, Lake Garda or Treasures of Tuscany, with added work issues the mjaor issue before I can book anything.

I appreciate your difficulties, but will only say that there is a VERY regular coach transfer between Heathrow and Gatwick that runs 24/7 I believe.

Thank you again Ben for sorting the flight timings out.

katy1717
(Member)
'Ben' wrote:

Good morning,

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

Ben, I have been looking at this holiday, as has someone I met on the JY Cilento Coast trip. When she rang up to check the time of the return flights recently, she was told that they were as they are in the brochure. As this makes a big difference to whether or not to pick this trip could you recheck/reconfirm please?

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good morning,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I can confirm that the flight times in the brochure are incorrect and the above is what I have been advised by our aviation department,

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

shyanne
(Member)
In that case, maybe someone ought to tell the people at the end of the phone lines as I was still being told on Thursday that they have not had details of any flight times so are still quoting the times as in the brochure. As I have already booked this holiday and was relying on a connecting flight to Gatwick which is now not available, it is vital that I have the most accurate flight times as possible to sort out alternative ways of getting from Manchester to Gatwick.

Cheers

Anne

'Ben' wrote:

Good morning,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I can confirm that the flight times in the brochure are incorrect and the above is what I have been advised by our aviation department,

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben