sallyc
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Can I ask for clarification from Ben and all you lucky people who have done this trip what currency is best for the extension in Zambia. There seems to be mixed advice as to whether sterling, Rands or US dollars are best.

Thanks

Sally

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good morning Sally,

Thanks for getting in touch, the national currency of South Africa is the Rand (R). We recommend you take local currency and Pound Sterling travellers’ cheques which can be changed at exchange bureaux. US Dollars are not allowed in South Africa.

The currency in Zambia is the Kwacha (approx. 6000ZK to the pound). Hotels and most shops and restaurants will accept payment in any of the four major currencies: Kwacha, SA Rand, US Dollars and Sterling. Most places accept major credit cards. We advise that you take cash, as travellers cheques are no longer accepted.

MasterCard and Visa are preferred. American Express and Diners Club are also widely accepted. ATMs are available in all towns, cities and shopping malls and most petrol stations, and accept international cards. Almost all hotels, shops and restaurants, and even national parks and game reserves, accept credit cards. They are rarely accepted at petrol stations, however.

Money can be changed at banks, bureaux de change and some hotels. Proof of identity may be requested; therefore, it is advisable to carry a passport. Visitors are restricted to bringing in and taking out a maximum of R5,000 in cash into South Africa and ZMK100 for Zambia.

Please note that travellers cheques can not be used for payment towards optional excursions.

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

RosieMo
(Member)
Hi Sally,

I went to Zambia last year (not with JY) and I took US dollars which were welcome everywhere I went (just regular tourist places). In fact prices were usually quoted in dollars. If you go off the beaten track you may need kwatcha. The souvenir sellers were happy to accept whatever currency you had - even gave me some change in pound coins!

I didn't get any Kwatcha - I think it is one of those currencies that it is not possible to get outside of the country - I doubt you will be able to go into the Post Office and get some. Although I guess if you use an ATM in Zambia you will get some!

Enjoy - Vic Falls is a spectacular sight.

RM.

Jan Myers
(Member)
'Ben' wrote:

Good morning Sally,

Thanks for getting in touch, the national currency of South Africa is the Rand (R). We recommend you take local currency and Pound Sterling travellers’ cheques which can be changed at exchange bureaux. US Dollars are not allowed in South Africa.

The currency in Zambia is the Kwacha (approx. 6000ZK to the pound). Hotels and most shops and restaurants will accept payment in any of the four major currencies: Kwacha, SA Rand, US Dollars and Sterling. Most places accept major credit cards. We advise that you take cash, as travellers cheques are no longer accepted.

MasterCard and Visa are preferred. American Express and Diners Club are also widely accepted. ATMs are available in all towns, cities and shopping malls and most petrol stations, and accept international cards. Almost all hotels, shops and restaurants, and even national parks and game reserves, accept credit cards. They are rarely accepted at petrol stations, however.

Money can be changed at banks, bureaux de change and some hotels. Proof of identity may be requested; therefore, it is advisable to carry a passport. Visitors are restricted to bringing in and taking out a maximum of R5,000 in cash into South Africa and ZMK100 for Zambia.

Please note that travellers cheques can not be used for payment towards optional excursions.

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

Sorry to be a bit "thick" Ben.... but I still need further clarification. I am on the S African explorer with Zambia add on. If I bring SA rand for the south africa bit I can then get further cash from an ATM there.I think Id rather do this than bring travellers cheques. (Do they accept cash passport cards which I could preload before I travel?) Can I take US dollars into S Africa if I dont spend them there and then I can use them in Zambia. If not and they dont accept travellers cheques in Zambia will I just have to get cash at an ATM when I get to Zambia as I assume Ill need cash there as soon as we arrive. Friends that have been on this tour previously say they have taken US dollars with them. Do we need any different currency for the day and overnight in Swaziland? Jan M

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good afternoon Jan,

USD $ is the best bet for Zambia, ZAR (South African Rand) for elsewhere. I wouldn't take Travelllers cheques, these aren't widely accepted.

Passport cards are not widely accepted, cash is best.

Official currency of Swqaziland is the "lilangeni", but no need to get that as ZAR is accepted.

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

Yvonne25
(Member)
Hi Sally, Jan & Ben,

Oh dear this is all so confusing I don't know what to do now. At the end of the day we can only take 5000 SAR so I guess I will work out roughly what I need in USD and take the currencies and then rely on my credit and debit cards.

Yvonne

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi folks, I took 5000 Rand last year and probably took out another 3000R from an ATM in Knysna. I also took $1000 in cash for the optional excursions in Zambia which were expensive, but so worth it! I used my credit card a couple of times too. Make sure you don't go to an ATM in S Africa by yourself, always go in a group and you should be fine. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Bob

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Bob - that's almost exactly what I've decided to do (except I'm going to put the 3000R on a cash passport instead of using my debit or credit card to withdraw the extra).

Thanks once again for all your helpful advice, it's really appreciated.

Sally

Yvonne25
(Member)
Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot that really helps, I now know what to do.

Yvonne

Yvonne25
(Member)
Ben,

Please pass on my mobile and email to Sallyc.

Many thanks,

Yvonne

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Sally and others

Can I just add my two pence worth here as I visited South Africa + Zambia add on in March this year?

I took 5000 Rand, £ Sterling and US Dollars (cannot remember how much) plus activated my credit card and debit cards although credit card didn't work - its a long story!

The local tour guide will take you to safe ATMs for you to withdraw cash and this is always done in groups - safety in numbers.

When you get to Zambia if you charge all food and drink etc to your room you can pay by credit or debit card on check out. Any optional excursions are supposed to be paid for in £ sterling (your final holiday details will advise you of this). A couple of us did not have enough £ sterling so the TM helped us out by allowing us to pay in a combination of both £ sterling and/or US Dollars. It's not necessary to have any local currencies for Zambia and Swaziland.

It's a fantastic full on trip and very exhausting but you will see and do so much if you opt for all the excursions - I did most.

Hope this helps.

Sylvia

Lap[wing
(Member)
Hello,

Went to SA with Vic Falls add on in August - you'll have the most fantastic time.

In SA I used a Rand cashcard and had no problems with this in shops or ATCs. I also took the full 5,000 in cash which was almost enough anyway.

In Zambia, the situation changed while we were there. Zambia now, officially, will only accept the Kwatcha which is a closed currency and can only be obtained whilst there. However, I didn't see a single kwatcha as the hotel accepts a rand or American dollar payment on a credit or debit card and the shop in the hotel accepts American dollars. almost everywhere else took either rand or dollar (including Botswana - a trip to recommended).

Therefore, if I were you, I would take:

1. a debit or credit card

2. a few American dollars (you will need 50 for your entry visa anyway, or 80 if you are doing the Botswana trip)

3. Sterling to pay for the optional excursions in Zambia (SA excursions are paid for, in cash, in rand)

4. A form of card (to use ATMs in SA) e.g. Rand Cashcard

5 The max of 5,ooo Rand in cash.

The downside of the holiday was the amopunt of cash we had to carry. Split it up for safety and use the safes in the hotels (almost all had one in the rooms which were easy to operate)

Hope this is a) clear, and b) helpful. I know it was one of the worries I had before I went but everything worked out ok and I had the time of my life - as I'm sure you will,

Regards,

Valerie

sallyc
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you so much ladies - that has set my mind at rest and I will follow your advice. This was the one remaining niggle that I had - now I can just relax and get on with counting down the days (20 to go!).