Iris C
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Ollie

I've booked this trip and the last I heard there were 32 people on it. Is this still the case, please. Also, what's the split, men versus women (I've found the women usually outnumber the men by around 5/1). How many of us are doing the Cambodia add-on.

Any news on who the tour leader is yet, please.

Has anybody else had problems finding out what jabs are recommended. My doctor apparently "doesn't consult on what medication needs to be taken before or when travelling abroad" his words not mine, so I appear to be up the creek without the proverbial paddle. I've tried Googling for info but not had a great deal of success. Could anybody else on the Board help, please.

I'm staying at the Premier Inn the night before so if anybody else is staying there I would be glad to make their acquaintance. I should get there around 9pm.

Many thanks

Iris

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Iris

Your tour manager is Yvette Barnett and so far 32 people have booked, with 15 of them staying on for the add-on. I can't see how many are men and women at the moment but the ratio is usually about two or three women to each man.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

JimS
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Iris,

I went to Vietnam just over a year ago and as I recall I had to make sure that my Tetanus, Typhoid and Hepatitis A jabs were all up to date. The travel clinic at my Doctors also recommended that I should take malaria tablets too.I was prescribed malarone which you start 1-2 days before entering a malarial area, every day while you are in a malarial area and for one week after leaving.

You can check what medication and vaccines are required/recommended for each country on the NHS website. Try "www.dh.gov.uk/travellers".

Have a great time.

Regds

Jim

Avocet64
(Member)
Hello Iris

I don't know if you have got anything sorted yet, like you my doctor doesn't deal with travel matters but we have a nurse at the surgery who is fully trained in travel advice and who administers any inoculations that are needed, perhaps you have one at yours, but she cannot issue a prescription for non over the counter malaria tablets. I have been to Vietnam and Cambodia twice and was advised to take malarone malaria tablets for the Ankor Wat area for which I did have to get a doctors prescription, the nurse also gave me the name of a really good website which she uses called traveldoctor.co.uk which has a lot of handy hints.

I hope you have a great holiday, Vietnam and Cambodia are great places to visit, have fun crossing the roads (you'll know what I mean when you get there) and what a bonus, I see you have Yvette Barnett as your travel guide, topnotch! JY has some really good travel guides but Yvette is No.1 in my own personal book.

Iris C
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'JimS' wrote:

Hi Iris,

I went to Vietnam just over a year ago and as I recall I had to make sure that my Tetanus, Typhoid and Hepatitis A jabs were all up to date. The travel clinic at my Doctors also recommended that I should take malaria tablets too.I was prescribed malarone which you start 1-2 days before entering a malarial area, every day while you are in a malarial area and for one week after leaving.

You can check what medication and vaccines are required/recommended for each country on the NHS website. Try "www.dh.gov.uk/travellers".

Have a great time.

Regds

Jim

Hi Jim

Many thanks for your help which is very much appreciated. I will telephone the doctor tomorrow and see if I can get vaccinated there, if not I shall have to move on to plan B whatever that may be. Did you enjoy Vietnam and are there any tips you could offer us unsuspecting travellers.

Kind regards

Iris

Iris C
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Avocet64' wrote:

Hello Iris

I don't know if you have got anything sorted yet, like you my doctor doesn't deal with travel matters but we have a nurse at the surgery who is fully trained in travel advice and who administers any inoculations that are needed, perhaps you have one at yours, but she cannot issue a prescription for non over the counter malaria tablets. I have been to Vietnam and Cambodia twice and was advised to take malarone malaria tablets for the Ankor Wat area for which I did have to get a doctors prescription, the nurse also gave me the name of a really good website which she uses called traveldoctor.co.uk which has a lot of handy hints.

I hope you have a great holiday, Vietnam and Cambodia are great places to visit, have fun crossing the roads (you'll know what I mean when you get there) and what a bonus, I see you have Yvette Barnett as your travel guide, topnotch! JY has some really good travel guides but Yvette is No.1 in my own personal book.

Hi Avocet64

I popped into the doctors surgery this afternoon and lo and behold they had had a meeting yesterday and have now decided to offer travel vaccination advice. I have now booked an appointment with the nurse for 23rd March (the earliest date they could offer me) and I hope to get everything sorted then. Thanks for the traveldoctor.co.uk site which is very helpful. It's good to hear your thoughts on our guide Yvette as a guide can make the difference between a good holiday and a fabulous holiday. I can't wait to see what you mean about crossing the roads.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Iris

Annedp
  • (Member)
(Member)
hi Iris

I am also going to Vietnam on 18th April although not to Cambodia as well - unfortunately.

I will be staying overnight on the 17th and will book the Premier Inn as I have stayed there before.

I will be there before you so perhaps we could meet in the bar?

really looking forward to it

Anne

Iris C
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Annedp' wrote:

hi Iris

I am also going to Vietnam on 18th April although not to Cambodia as well - unfortunately.

I will be staying overnight on the 17th and will book the Premier Inn as I have stayed there before.

Anne

Hi Anne

I look forward to meeting you in the bar and will make sure I have my Just You label on my bag. I'm travelling up on the 6pm coach from Bournemouth and will probably check in at the hotel around 9ish. It's always nice to meet fellow travellers prior to the holiday.

Kind regards

Iris

Iris C
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Annedp' wrote:

hi Iris

Anne

Hi Anne

I look forward to meeting you in the bar and will make sure I have my Just You label on my bag. I'm travelling up on the 6pm coach from Bournemouth and will probably check in at the hotel around 9ish. It's always nice to meet fellow travellers prior to the holiday.

Kind regards

Iris

dundee38
(Member)
Hi Iris,

I am also staying at the premier inn on the 17th, and should be there about 7pm.

I think hep a and typhoid and you should be up to date with your tetanus, if you want to meet me ask at reception to call my room. My name is Cath Hoskins. look forward to meeting you.

Iris C
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'dundee38' wrote:

Hi Iris,

I am also staying at the premier inn on the 17th, and should be there about 7pm.

I think hep a and typhoid and you should be up to date with your tetanus, if you want to meet me ask at reception to call my room. My name is Cath Hoskins. look forward to meeting you.

Hi Cath

Lovely to hear from somebody else staying at the Premier Inn on the 17th. I have made a note of your name and will give you a call when I get there. Hopefully Anne will also be checking the site and the three of us can meet up. I had my jabs on Monday, Hep A, typhoid, tetanus, diptheria and polio but the nurse said I didn't need malaria tablets for the areas we will be visiting. She said 3 other vaccinations were recommended for this trip but there wasn't time for me to complete the course which is just as well otherwise I would have been like a pincushion.

See you on the 17th.

Iris

Annedp
  • (Member)
(Member)
'dundee38' wrote:

Hi Iris,

Hi Cath

I will also be at the Premier Inn. I will definitely be there when you arrive so you could ask ar reception for me. My name is Anne de Prez. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Anne

Iris C
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Annedp' wrote:

'dundee38' wrote:

Hi Iris,

Hi Cath

I will also be at the Premier Inn. I will definitely be there when you arrive so you could ask ar reception for me. My name is Anne de Prez. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Anne

Hi Cath & Anne

My name is Iris Curtis and it looks as if you will both be in the bar by the time I get to the Premier Inn. I look forward to meeting you both and it is possible there may be other Just You travellers there also.

I've been chasing up my passport with Just You today and have been advised it should be sent to me on 11th April when it is due back from the Vietnamese Embassy. Hope it arrives in time for the holiday.

Iris

dundee38
(Member)
'Annedp' wrote:

'dundee38' wrote:

Hi Iris,

Hi Cath

Anne

dundee38
(Member)
'Iris wrote:

'dundee38' wrote:

Hi Iris,

Hi Cath

Lovely to hear from somebody else staying at the Premier Inn on the 17th. I have made a note of your name and will give you a call when I get there. Hopefully Anne will also be checking the site and the three of us can meet up. I had my jabs on Monday, Hep A, typhoid, tetanus, diptheria and polio but the nurse said I didn't need malaria tablets for the areas we will be visiting. She said 3 other vaccinations were recommended for this trip but there wasn't time for me to complete the course which is just as well otherwise I would have been like a pincushion.

See you on the 17th.

Iris

Hi Iris Anne,

I have just checked and there are 2 Premier Inns at Heathrow - I am staying at the one in Bath Road - is this the same as you???

Cath

dundee38
(Member)
Hi Iris Anne,

I have just checked and there are 2 Premier Inns at Heathrow - I am staying at the one in Bath Road - is this the same as you???

Cath

Iris C
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'dundee38' wrote:

Hi Iris Anne,

Cath

Hi Cath

Yes, just checked my booking and I am at the Bath Road hotel as well. Two weeks to go!

Iris

dundee38
(Member)
'Iris wrote:

'dundee38' wrote:

Hi Iris Anne,

Cath

Hi Cath

Yes, just checked my booking and I am at the Bath Road hotel as well. Two weeks to go!

Iris

Annedp
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Iris and Cath

Yes I too am at Bath Road

Anne :)