joolsg61
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

Just booked Borneo for November and would  like to know if anyone else is going and advise on what to take to wear and money etc?

Thank you

Sue I
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi. I did this trip in Nov 2017 and it was fabulous... I hope you’ll love it too. The weather was hot and humid and inclined to sudden torrential downpours. We were on the Kinabatangan river during one such episode and the boat owner was bailing the water out with a bucket! So... clothes... I took loose cool clothing and to keep the mosquitoes off, I took long ‘trekking ‘ type trousers that zip at the knees... these were very useful in the jungle as they are quick drying. Quick dry t shirts useful too. A waterproof cagoule or better still cheap poncho are really useful...i took a couple and they were well used, but the weather soon dried up and heated up again!

Shorts, non iron tops, flip flops, trainers, something casual for evenings.

Jungle formula strong due to Zikavirus, dengue... I used it constantly except for one morning and within half an hour I had a bite.

I took a sweat shirt as it was cooler in the mountain.

It’s all very casual. Food is cheap and I think I only took £300, which for me, was enough.

I recommend going to the early evening fish market for a meal in Kota Kinabalu.. so fresh, fab atmosphere and really good value. But... no loo as is outside!

All in all a fabulous place, wonderful people and for me the orangutans were magic and I absolutely could have stayed in the jungle lodge for weeks.

Enjoy!!

Mo R
  • (Member)
(Member)
That's really useful Sue, you have answered a lot of things that I was wondering about too! Im doing this trip on 21st Oct with the add on, really looking forward to my second trip with Just You.

Thanks again

Mo

joolsg61
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Sue I' wrote:

Hi. I did this trip in Nov 2017 and it was fabulous... I hope you’ll love it too. The weather was hot and humid and inclined to sudden torrential downpours. We were on the Kinabatangan river during one such episode and the boat owner was bailing the water out with a bucket! So... clothes... I took loose cool clothing and to keep the mosquitoes off, I took long ‘trekking ‘ type trousers that zip at the knees... these were very useful in the jungle as they are quick drying. Quick dry t shirts useful too. A waterproof cagoule or better still cheap poncho are really useful...i took a couple and they were well used, but the weather soon dried up and heated up again!

Jungle formula strong due to Zikavirus, dengue... I used it constantly except for one morning and within half an hour I had a bite.

It’s all very casual. Food is cheap and I think I only took £300, which for me, was enough.

I recommend going to the early evening fish market for a meal in Kota Kinabalu.. so fresh, fab atmosphere and really good value. But... no loo as is outside!

All in all a fabulous place, wonderful people and for me the orangutans were magic and I absolutely could have stayed in the jungle lodge for weeks.

Enjoy!!

Great Summary Sue, thank you. can I ask what currency you need?

Sue I
  • (Member)
(Member)
'joolsg61' wrote:

'Sue I' wrote:

Enjoy!!

Great Summary Sue, thank you. can I ask what currency you need?

Sorry I didn't see your question...Malaysian ringgit is the currency you'll need. 

Oh... And take a hat as when you are in the canoe on the kinabatangan river it is very useful... And sunblock too! By the time you've sprayed yourself with Jungle Formula and sun block you won't need any perfume !! ?

I wish I was going too!!

Have a wonderful time

SharonT
(Member)
Hi!

I did this trip (with the Singapore add-on) in September 2018. It was a fabulous holiday (though I think the itinerary has changed a bit since then). Sepilok and the sun bears were both great, but the highlight for me was the three nights on the Kinabatangan River - amazing wildlife (including wild orangutans and the fabulous troops of proboscis monkeys, though no pygmy elephants for us!). Sue is right about the sudden downpours. I found a poncho much more useful than a standard waterproof. It was humid, but bearable, and I didn't get bitten at all - despite not using insect repellent! Sabah is very cheap - most of my ringgits went on beer! Mo - you’ll also need Singapore dollars for the add-on. I recommend breakfast with the orangutans at the zoo which some of us booked independently. Enjoy!

Mo R
  • (Member)
(Member)
'SharonT' wrote:

Hi!

I did this trip (with the Singapore add-on) in September 2018. It was a fabulous holiday (though I think the itinerary has changed a bit since then). Sepilok and the sun bears were both great, but the highlight for me was the three nights on the Kinabatangan River - amazing wildlife (including wild orangutans and the fabulous troops of proboscis monkeys, though no pygmy elephants for us!). Sue is right about the sudden downpours. I found a poncho much more useful than a standard waterproof. It was humid, but bearable, and I didn't get bitten at all - despite not using insect repellent! Sabah is very cheap - most of my ringgits went on beer! Mo - you’ll also need Singapore dollars for the add-on. I recommend breakfast with the orangutans at the zoo which some of us booked independently. Enjoy!

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the heads up on the dollars, I've only got ringgits. Breakfast at the zoo sounds lovely was that in Singapore?

Cant wait only 12 days yaaay!!!!

Mo

SharonT
(Member)
'Mo R' wrote:

'SharonT' wrote:

Hi!

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the heads up on the dollars, I've only got ringgits. Breakfast at the zoo sounds lovely was that in Singapore?

Cant wait only 12 days yaaay!!!!

Mo

Yes, Mo - Singapore Zoo. I’m not a great fan of zoos, but Singapore has the reputation of being a good zoo and the only stressed animal I saw was a leopard. The orangutan breakfast was lovely. Hope you have as great a time as I did in both Borneo & Singapore!

mlesleyk
(Member)
'joolsg61' wrote:

Hi

Just booked Borneo for November and would  like to know if anyone else is going and advise on what to take to wear and money etc?

Thank you

Hi 

Im going (11 November).  Im taking some long trousers and long T shirts as well as the normal holiday wear plus a rain poncho (just in case) and walking sandals and trainers