choccork
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi All, 

Is anyone going to Borneo in November 2016? I can't wait for this trip, I've been reading all the hints and tips on the Community pages, which have been really useful and now I'm more excited than ever!!!

Kate

smudger1
(Member)
'choccork' wrote:

Hi All, 

Is anyone going to Borneo in November 2016? I can't wait for this trip, I've been reading all the hints and tips on the Community pages, which have been really useful and now I'm more excited than ever!!!

Kate

Hi Kate

Im going. Been looking forward to it for a long time. The pics from others that have been have been great. Im flying from Heathrow. Going down the day before to the premier inn.

Ian

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

You will love Borneo.

Jaya

Toni2909
(Member)
Hi Kate. Yes, I'm going, and am extremely excited about it. I am booked into the Premier Inn at Heathrow the night before. Where are you flying from? We could meet for dinner / a drink to get the party started? Ian and I have already met via this forum, by the way.

I got a letter yesterday - presumably you did too? It seems that changed flight schedules (not the fault of JY) mean we now have something like 8 hours at Singapore airport on the way out and 9 hours on the way back. Does anyone on the forum know ..........

Will our bags be checked right thought to Kota Kinabalu?

Will we be able to leave the airport?

If so, what are the two most unmissable things to do in Singapore - I am not booked on to the add-on

What would be the best way to do these things - taxi?

How much, and what sort of currency would we need for this?

I am sure that a plan will come together.

Toni

choccork
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Toni and Ian,

Thanks very much to you both for replying  🙂

I'm flying down from Manchester the day before, I'm on the 3.05pm flight, so should be there just after 4pm. I've been looking at hotels and wondering where to stay. Are you both at the Premier Inn on Bath Road? 

Yes I got that letter, 8 hour lay over on the way and 9 on the way back!! I had a look at the airport's website yesterday and there's lots to do, there's gardens and they do a free tour of Singapore too, which I wondered if we'd be able to go on. 

The website also said that passengers can check their luggage in 48 hours before flights, so even if we have to pick up our luggage, we can just check it in again for the flight to Kota Kinabalu.

I can't wait for this trip, I've wanted to go to Borneo for ages  :)

Kate

Toni2909
(Member)
Yes, Kate. The Premier Inn on Bath Road it is (for me, anyway - I am not sure about Ian - I forgot that there are two!)

I'm sure we will find oodles of things to do - as you say, it looks well geared up for people with long lay overs.

Toni

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi we did Borneo in May, you'll love it, hope you see lots of wildlife

as for the Premier Inn on Bath Road, we took the hoppa bus service from central bus station, around £8 return, the hotel will have a list of return times for the morning, there's also a pub the Three Magpies around 15-20 mins stroll up the road to your left if wanting to get out of PI for a bit, the other PI is up near the M4 a little out of the way but still linked to T2 etc via the Hoppa Bus, prob only an extra 5 or 10 mins

no worries about the bags they WILL be checked straight through to KK

There are free sightseeing tours from Singapore airport but if you didn't want to risk it there is lots to do around the airport, gardens etc to visit, use the tram between terminals

hope this helps you will have a wonderful time

all the best

Dave

(Member)
'Toni2909' wrote:

Hi Kate. Yes, I'm going, and am extremely excited about it. I am booked into the Premier Inn at Heathrow the night before. Where are you flying from? We could meet for dinner / a drink to get the party started? Ian and I have already met via this forum, by the way.

I got a letter yesterday - presumably you did too? It seems that changed flight schedules (not the fault of JY) mean we now have something like 8 hours at Singapore airport on the way out and 9 hours on the way back. Does anyone on the forum know ..........

Will our bags be checked right thought to Kota Kinabalu?

Will we be able to leave the airport?

If so, what are the two most unmissable things to do in Singapore - I am not booked on to the add-on

What would be the best way to do these things - taxi?

How much, and what sort of currency would we need for this?

I am sure that a plan will come together.

Toni

Hi Toni,

Yes you will be checked in right through Kota Kinabalu.

We don't recommend you leave the airport as flights may change on the day, there may be some traffic issues and call out may be made.

Whilst in Singapore Airport there are various activities and places to visit. Don't miss the Changi Aviation Gallery from here, you can observe the aircrafts on tarmac and gain insights into Changi's ground operations along with Singapore's eventful aviation history. Or if you wish to end your wildlife adventure with some more flora and fauna why not take a trip to either the Cactus Garden, the Piazza Garden, Sculptural Tree Garden or even the Butterfly Garden, it is the first butterfly garden in an airport and is home to over 1,000 butterflies. Learn about their life cycle at the educational corners and individual enclosures.

Kind regards,

Elisa

smudger1
(Member)
Hi Kate

yes im booked into the Premier Inn on bath road too. I think Im going to take US Dollars while Im out there. you can get lower demoinations for tips and things as everwhere I go they dont want to take coins. Really looking forward to this trip. See you down there. Maybe pop to the three magpies if others have other hotels.

Ian

Toni2909
(Member)
Thanks, Dave and Elisa. The airport sounds pretty spectacular, and I guess it's good advice not to leave it.

Any advice on currency we would need to use and what prices are like for refreshments and other activities on the airport site?

Toni

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Toni

Singapore is not as cheap as it used to be. I thought prices for refreshments at the airport were similar to those in London. I only visited a coffee shop where I had a drink and a sandwich. Visiting the gardens is free - I only went to the butterfly garden and since it was dark I did not see many butterflies as they all must have been hiding somewhere and having a snooze! Time will fly by!

Jaya

daphnemca
(Member)
'smudger1' wrote:

Hi Kate

yes im booked into the Premier Inn on bath road too. I think Im going to take US Dollars while Im out there. you can get lower demoinations for tips and things as everwhere I go they dont want to take coins. Really looking forward to this trip. See you down there. Maybe pop to the three magpies if others have other hotels.

Ian

Hi Ian - wouldn't bother getting US$ as you're changing money twice, just bring sterling, was better rate for it in both Singapore and Borneo.  Just go to official money changers and not hotels.  Daphne

smudger1
(Member)
'daphnemca' wrote:

'smudger1' wrote:

Hi Kate

Ian

Hi Ian - wouldn't bother getting US$ as you're changing money twice, just bring sterling, was better rate for it in both Singapore and Borneo.  Just go to official money changers and not hotels.  Daphne

Cheers Daphne, thanks for the tip. Thats saved me a trip to change money. Any more tips you'd like to pass on?

Toni2909
(Member)
Hi Kate, if you get this. Ian and I have arranged to meet in the bar of the Premier Inn, Bath Road, and I will be booking a table for 6.30pm. Want to join us?

Toni