sylvieann
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi all

Going to China on 2 May and I was wondering if anyone that has done this trip before can give me some tips on what clothing to take and how much money to take. In fact, any information/tips would be helpful.

Sylvie

:)

Chris84
(Member)
Hi Sylvie

Take packing cubes to organise your clothes for each region because you won't want to unpack everything at every hotel. You won't see the room much, because you will be out all day.

Beijing and the Great Wall will be much cooler than Shanghai (and Hong Kong if doing add on), whilst I was comfortable in shorts and t-shirts during the day in Beijing when the sun set I was happy to have a hoodie at hand. So the answer is take thin layers but you will be shedding them as the trip goes on.

Good pair of walking shoes. You may not get time to dress up before heading out for dinner in fact its highly likely you might go to the restaurant before returning to the hotel (Chinese traffic! and packed itinary)

All meals are included, this includes soft drinks (that includes beer!) so you biggest expenses are going to be souvenirs and wine. But there is a LOT of souvenirs you will want so be prepared to use your card.

You are in for a treat.

Chris

sylvieann
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Chris that's was very helpful, especially taking layers of clothing.....can't wait to go now.

Sylvie

SharonT
(Member)
Unless things have changed since I was there in September 2017, note that the souvenir shop at the Chengdu panda centre doesn’t take cards!
Heatherjane
(Member)
'sylvieann' wrote:

Hi all

Going to China on 2 May and I was wondering if anyone that has done this trip before can give me some tips on what clothing to take and how much money to take. In fact, any information/tips would be helpful.

Sylvie

Hi Sylvieann

I am going on the same trip and have the same questions. I have been told walkind shoes will be useful as sandals on some trips are not so good. Also been told allow a bit for tips!! If you get any tips be glad to hear them.

Heatherjane

Vickie
(Member)
Hi both,

Here's an example packing list:

Your travel documents, passport and prescribed medicines - keep these in your hand luggage, we would also recommend you take photocopies of your passport in case it is lost or stolen - keep one copy at home and take another on your trip

Padlocks to lock your suitcase

A smaller bag or rucksack for days out

Money belt

Clothing to suit the weather conditions in your destination - even in warm climates, it can be cool in the mornings and evenings

Comfortable shoes and socks to wear during excursions

Sun cream, sun hat, sunglasses

Personal medical kit including insect repellent

Antibacterial wipes

A water/windproof jacket

A shawl or sarong to cover shoulders during visits places of worship

Torch, adaptor plug, chargers for phones and cameras, spare batteries

Scarf or bandanna to protect your face against dust and wind at high altitude

Spare glasses

Snacks, tea bags/coffee, milk powder, instant soups or anything you need to support dietary requirements

Camera and spare film/memory card

Tipping is common practice in most holiday destinations, so if you feel you have received good service in a hotel, bar or restaurant, or from a driver or Local Guide/Local Representative, you might want to say thank you by leaving a tip.

How much you leave is entirely up to you but as a guide we would suggest around £2-£3 per person per day for your driver and guide.

Your Tour Manager will be happy to offer any further advice you may require.

Take Yuan with you to China, and a few US dollars might be useful. We do not recommend you take Travellers Cheques with you as they are difficult to exchange. Money exchange facilities are available at major airports, hotels and department stores, with exchange rates fluctuating in line with international financial market conditions. If you wish to exchange notes, please be aware that banks will only accept notes in pristine condition, and Scottish or Northern Ireland bank notes are not accepted.

I hope this is helpful 🙂

Many thanks,

Vickie

RUSSELL
(Member)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi both,

Here's an example packing list:

Your travel documents, passport and prescribed medicines - keep these in your hand luggage, we would also recommend you take photocopies of your passport in case it is lost or stolen - keep one copy at home and take another on your trip

Padlocks to lock your suitcase

A smaller bag or rucksack for days out

Money belt

Clothing to suit the weather conditions in your destination - even in warm climates, it can be cool in the mornings and evenings

Comfortable shoes and socks to wear during excursions

Sun cream, sun hat, sunglasses

Personal medical kit including insect repellent

Antibacterial wipes

A water/windproof jacket

A shawl or sarong to cover shoulders during visits places of worship

Torch, adaptor plug, chargers for phones and cameras, spare batteries

Scarf or bandanna to protect your face against dust and wind at high altitude

Spare glasses

Snacks, tea bags/coffee, milk powder, instant soups or anything you need to support dietary requirements

Camera and spare film/memory card

Tipping is common practice in most holiday destinations, so if you feel you have received good service in a hotel, bar or restaurant, or from a driver or Local Guide/Local Representative, you might want to say thank you by leaving a tip.

How much you leave is entirely up to you but as a guide we would suggest around £2-£3 per person per day for your driver and guide.

Your Tour Manager will be happy to offer any further advice you may require.

Take Yuan with you to China, and a few US dollars might be useful. We do not recommend you take Travellers Cheques with you as they are difficult to exchange. Money exchange facilities are available at major airports, hotels and department stores, with exchange rates fluctuating in line with international financial market conditions. If you wish to exchange notes, please be aware that banks will only accept notes in pristine condition, and Scottish or Northern Ireland bank notes are not accepted.

I hope this is helpful 🙂

Many thanks,

Vickie

Hi Vickie. I am on the same trip and your list of advice is very very helpful, thank you.I am flying down from Manchester and can't wait.   Russell Kerfoot

gmarshall
(Member)
That's really helpful - thanks. 

I have my visa now 🙂 and received final travel documents and luggage ties etc.  Do we need to flight check in on line or just take the travel doc final email to check in desk?  I think I saw a similar query to the April trip and they couldn't check in online as it was a group booking.

Gill

sylvieann
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Heatherjane' wrote:

'sylvieann' wrote:

Hi all

Sylvie

Hi Sylvieann

I am going on the same trip and have the same questions. I have been told walkind shoes will be useful as sandals on some trips are not so good. Also been told allow a bit for tips!! If you get any tips be glad to hear them.

Heatherjane

Hi Heatherjane

Lovely to hear you are on the same trip as me.....getting quite excited now! There seems to be quite a crowd of us going and looking forward to meeting everyone. Still trying to work out what to pack especially as we will be living out of our suitcases. Checked the weather in China yesterday and this week it is well in the 20's - 31c one day next week,so plenty of sunscreen to pack. Not booked any extra trips yet - so if anyone can recommend what are the best ones to pick....so many to choose from and I understand it's quite a busy holiday...will I have the energy to do more!  😉

Sylvie

Vickie
(Member)
No problem Russell, have a great trip! 🙂

Thanks,

Vickie

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Gill,

This is also a group booking so you won't be able to check-in online, you'll need to check-in on arrival.

Many thanks,

Vickie

NicolaT
(Member)
Hi Sylvie

Hope you enjoy your holiday, not long to go now.

I’ve booked the same trip but am going in October.

I will be interested to see how much you enjoyed it and also if you have any tips on your return.

Have a great time.

Regards

Nic x