HelenSB
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi all...

Is anyone going on the Breathtaking New Zealand trip on October 25th 2018 and fancy a little chat about it all?

Helen :shy:

Rayda
  • (Member)
(Member)
'HelenSB' wrote:

Hi all...

Is anyone going on the Breathtaking New Zealand trip on October 25th 2018 and fancy a little chat about it all?

Hi Helen

I am going on the trip. Is it your first Just You or are you a seasoned traveller? I have always wanted to do this one before I was too old (or are you never too old!!) a little apprehensive about long flights but it will be worth it. Hope our TM is Brian Croft. I have been with him twice before and he is brilliant. I will ask the editor nearer the time. Look forward to meeting you in the Plaza Lounge.

Best wishes

Rayda?

HelenSB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Rayda' wrote:

'HelenSB' wrote:

Hi all...

Hi Helen

I am going on the trip. Is it your first Just You or are you a seasoned traveller? I have always wanted to do this one before I was too old (or are you never too old!!) a little apprehensive about long flights but it will be worth it. Hope our TM is Brian Croft. I have been with him twice before and he is brilliant. I will ask the editor nearer the time. Look forward to meeting you in the Plaza Lounge.

Best wishes

Rayda?

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Helen and Rayda,

I have done this tour last November, certainly rates up there in one of my best ever tours. We had Brian Croft and he was brilliant. I had so much fun gaining many firsts, still no helicopter trip due to the weather- oh well, never mind :rolleyes: 

Have fun, you will enjoy it all.

Jan

Rayda
  • (Member)
(Member)
'janib' wrote:

Hello Helen and Rayda,

I have done this tour last November, certainly rates up there in one of my best ever tours. We had Brian Croft and he was brilliant. I had so much fun gaining many firsts, still no helicopter trip due to the weather- oh well, never mind :rolleyes: 

Have fun, you will enjoy it all.

Jan

Thanks Jan. I see that any flight excursions can be paid by credit card but how are other excursions (that cannot be booked here) paid? NZ dollars or English money?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Regards

Rayda

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Rayda,

The helicopter trip at Franz Joseph was called off due to low cloud. The flight from Lake Pukaki to Lake Tekapo around the mountains, Mount Cook and the three glaciers cost $425 NZ, credit card only. Best thing I have done. The flight was on the last day, did think that it was a no show due to the weather.

Jan

Mutleythesecond
(Member)
'HelenSB' wrote:

Hi all...

Mutleythesecond
(Member)
Hi HelenSB, I’m going on that trip, but travelling down to Heathrow the day before, booked a couple of the tours already but some I can only do when we get there, have you booked any yet?
HelenSB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Rayda' wrote:

'HelenSB' wrote:

Hi all...

Hi Helen

Best wishes

Rayda?

HelenSB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Rayda I am half looking forward to New Zealand as it was supposed to celebrate our Golden Anniversary, but unfortunately my husband died in April. I need someone to convince me not to cancel, I have days when I can't wait to get there and then I wake up the next day wishing I was with my husband. I have so many questions but right now I can't think of any of them.
HelenSB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mutleythesecond' wrote:

Hi HelenSB, I’m going on that trip, but travelling down to Heathrow the day before, booked a couple of the tours already but some I can only do when we get there, have you booked any yet?

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
'HelenSB' wrote:

Hello Rayda I am half looking forward to New Zealand as it was supposed to celebrate our Golden Anniversary, but unfortunately my husband died in April. I need someone to convince me not to cancel, I have days when I can't wait to get there and then I wake up the next day wishing I was with my husband. I have so many questions but right now I can't think of any of them.

Hello HelenSB

So sorry to hear about your loss.  It is always hard when you lose a loved one but life has to go on and I am sure your husband would want you to go.  Time is a great healer and going on this trip will be the first step for you to take without your husband.  Be brave and look forward to the trip.  My younger sister passed away a month before my Costa Rica/Nicaragua trip last year and I too was wondering whether to go or not.  In the end I did and my family too wanted me to go.  The trip did help me a bit to get over my loss.

Best wishes

Jaya

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Helen,

Please go and celebrate your life. Your husband will be with you in spirit and will see all that you see. A wonderful trip where you will not be disappointed.

Jan

Rayda
  • (Member)
(Member)
IHello Helen

I am so sorry to learn that your husband has passed away.

I also am a widow but of nearly 7 years. We were married for 47 years. I know my husband would have encouraged me to do this trip of a lifetime.

Please don’t cancel as I have found that Just You holidays are an ideal way to meet other people perhaps in similar circumstances. You are never alone and the Tour managers are excellent at getting people together.

I met a lady from Gloucestershire on my first holiday and we have had two JY trips together ( I do like having my own room!). We still chat for up to an hour by phone.

Hope to hear from you again

Best wishes

Rayda

SarahS
(Member)
Like you, my husband and I had planned a trip to New Zealand, but sadly, it never happened. I went on this tour as my first solo long haul 5 years ago. I was so glad I did. Like you I found the prospect daunting, but everything is organised and you will most likely meet others in a similar situation. That said, it certainly won’t be all gloom and doom: there will be many laughs ago the way. Do go and celebrate the life you and your husband shared.
HelenSB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
To everyone who posted advice to go on the New Zealand trip I can only say a massive thank you. My sons have told me to book as many trips as I can & enjoy them all, so I have booked all the ones that I can from here, and hope to book most of the others when we arrive. How are you taking your money, I am getting so much conflicting advice, some say take cash & card. My bank said take a card which allows you to post a certain amount of foreign currency on to it. All advice gratefully accepted.
janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Helen,

I took a thousand in $750 NZ and $250 Singapore in cash. All my trips were paid before I left with the flight around Mount Cook on my credit card. Some extra trips were payable in local currency including $20 for Marina Bays Sands Hotel at the viewpoint on top of the Surfboard. I showed my family yesterday during the Grand Prix - a magical experience.

Beware like one gentleman who took an apple into New Zealand, $400 later and poorer. It delayed us by an hour 😠 😠 😠 😠 

Jan

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Agree with Jan. Absolutely no fresh product to take into New Zealand even if it is served on the flight. I sometimes watch the border security programmes so am fully aware about this!

Jaya

AngebOG
(Member)
Yes must watch out for the fresh food...I’m on this trip too, traveling down to Heathrow the day before also.
HelenSB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am looking forward to meeting all of you in the Plaza Lounge before we leave, in anticipation of a great holiday. Does anyone know who our Tour Manager is?