tweety55
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
One of the things that worries me as a first time solo traveller is being at the airport on my own, and if I board the plane not being able to find my group the other side. It would be a great idea if you had designated meeting places before boarding. /ie Wetherspoons/  . I know some long haul flights have a lounge offered, but would be great to have a meeting place at each main airport, then we wouldn't have to wander round looking for a ticket on someones luggage. That's the only thing that worries me, silly as it may seem
SarahS
(Member)
I understand how you feel. Even as a seasoned traveller, I often find it difficult to catch up with the group on landing at the destination airport. It would be very useful if JY issued clear instructions with the final documents as to whether to meet up at the luggage carousel or in the arrivals hall as other operators do. I have been on a number of holidays when departure from the airport was delayed because one or more passengers didn’t meet up with group, and search parties had to be sent out.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi there

I have travelled the world with JY so I am very used to airports etc and they don’t worry me, I am happy to rock up and book in and just wait till I get to the other side to meet every one. BUT I do understand what you are saying, so look out for the JY luggage labels and introduce your self to people. When you book in ask the JY Rep if you can wait for someone else to book in and then go through which them, most JY flights the seats are sort of grouped together. Also as you say if you are on long haul there often is a lounge to meet people..if you have a tour booked make a posting on the JY board and see if you can buddy up with someone to meet at the airport, as long as you both agree the editor can give you another persons email if that would help you.

Don’t over worry about the airport it all works in the end, the airport this end is just the start of the adventure, you will have a great time I am sure.

Cindy

charleyhorse
(Member)
I’ve never found a problem because Just You do provide the clearly identified luggage tags. There is always a designated person watching out for Just You travellers in the check in area of the airport, who will tick you off the list, prior to checking in, I have met other party members doing the same, then checked in and gone through security. The group does get to meet at the departure gate, and if the tour manager isn’t travelling with the group, there will be a designated member of staff to meet and greet you at the destination airport, who will be holding up a Just You sign. The party will all be at the carousel together collecting luggage. Don’t worry, you will be able to find the group at the other side. I’ve done lots of Just You holidays and never had a problem.
janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Tweety55,

Only once have I never met anyone at the airport as there was only 2 of us from Birmingham for Magnificent Lake Garda in 2011. Everyone else came from Manchester and Heathrow. We were also 2 hours late into Milan due to a broken plane. That was the first time that I met the other man in Milan as I had changed my seat at Birmingham.

Usually there are many JY luggage labels and I love walking around Terminals doing last minute shopping. I think that I have only had 2 lounges in 12 trips. Sit together on the planes in a group. Very rare to be sat apart.

Jan

Dyuti
  • (Member)
(Member)
'tweety55' wrote:

One of the things that worries me as a first time solo traveller is being at the airport on my own, and if I board the plane not being able to find my group the other side. It would be a great idea if you had designated meeting places before boarding. /ie Wetherspoons/  . I know some long haul flights have a lounge offered, but would be great to have a meeting place at each main airport, then we wouldn't have to wander round looking for a ticket on someones luggage. That's the only thing that worries me, silly as it may seem

No need to worry about it. For most tours, you are greeted by your Tour Manager near the checking in counter. Then you meet everybody at an airport lounge, a complimentary pass will be sent to you before the departure, together with the two distinguished luggage labels. You will find the group members through the luggage labels as you go into the lounge. You can have snacks and drinks while getting to know everyone. So far I  have been to four JY tours. It is much easier than you think, I  can assure you. 

Have a great holiday.

Dyuti

sjm533
(Member)
Hi Tweety55

First of all the idea of a designated meeting place is not silly.  I think it is an excellent idea, but I can't see it happening.   I don't usually manage to find any others in the group until we are in the departure lounge.  At that point I wander round looking for JY labels.  Don't be afraid to approach and say Hello, someone has to say it first.  As others have said, it works out OK in the end.  If the TM doesn't travel with you then you will be met at the other end.

Hope this helps

Sylvia

dennyb33
(Member)
I too was concerned about the meeting place at Gatwick, I arrived in plenty of time, no sign of a JY rep. Myself and several others checked in as the time was running away. This was my first disappointment from JY several others have followed. I am on the final evening of my holiday, I plan to contact JY on my return with my concerns.
sjm533
(Member)
'dennyb33' wrote:

I too was concerned about the meeting place at Gatwick, I arrived in plenty of time, no sign of a JY rep. Myself and several others checked in as the time was running away. This was my first disappointment from JY several others have followed. I am on the final evening of my holiday, I plan to contact JY on my return with my concerns.

Hi dennyb33

That always happens to me.  Only once have I ever seen a JY rep at the airport, and then he was wearing the tiniest of Travelsphere lapel badges you could imagine.  He spotted the JY luggage labels and introduced himself.  When i asked other tour reps, who were all in one area and very obvious, uniforms or large prominent clipboards, if they knew where the JY rep was the reply came back to the effect, no idea, could be anywhere.  Rather than, at the check-in area, which is huge, a defined meeting place for the rep would be better than one for other travellers.  I have got to the stage where I don't bother to look for them. 

Sylvia

Vickie
(Member)
Hi both,

Sorry to hear you've had problems with finding your reps. Our reps will be at the airport three hours before departure for short haul, and four hours for long haul flights.

Unfortunately, it's possible that you may not see the reps, because check-in areas can be so busy, or they may be assisting another customer, but they will always be there.

You should also have our Duty Office phone number, which you can always call if you're in need of assistance.

We are working on making sure there is an exact meeting place at each airport, as we recognise this is an issue.

Thanks,

Vickie

SarahS
(Member)
I agree Sylvia. I’ve yet to find a JY rep at a London airport never mind any of the provincial ones. Check in and getting to the plane isn’t a problem at uk departure airports: all have plenty of uniformed staff only too ready to assist. It’s meeting up, with the group on arrival that presents the problem. With a little thought and minimal cost the problem could easily be resolved by giving clear instructions on meeting places with final documents. Also, knowing whether the tour manger is travelling with the group or meeting in resort would be useful. On a similar note, why is it not routine for JY managers to provide mobile contact details? This is standard practice for every other company, singles and regular tours, that I have travelled with.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have not seen JY Reps at check in that often but I do understand check in areas can be spread over a fair distance and it can be chaotic at peak times..so it must be hard for the JY Rep to spread themselves around.

Also a while back I think the uniform changed and then they were even harder to spot. It would make them more visible if they were wearing something that made them stand out, as cheesy as it sounds a bold bright T shirt and dare I say a baseball type of hat. It’s not about being a fashion icon LOL, we need to spot them ASAP. Or a designated meeting stand.

Cindy

sallyc
(Member)
I agree with SarahS a simple one liner in your final docs stating ‘your tour manager will be Joe Bloggs who will meet you at the baggage carousel’ or ‘will be travellling with the group from Heathrow’ would be very helpful.
jthinch
(Member)
I usually fly from Manchester when going on a Just You holiday. I don’t know if there is an airport rep to lookout for at check in at Manchester but I’ve never seen one. I have flown from Heathrow and Gatwick as well and have seen an airport rep there but I am so used to not seeing one so it doesn’t bother me anymore On occasions where I haven’t met a rep at Heathrow or Gatwick I’ve met fellow travellers and we have gone through check in together.

As far as contact numbers for TMs I’ve had them on a number of occasions but not always.

James

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Denny,

I trust you write a review on your return, it will make interesting reading as you seem to have had a bad experience.

Jan

omoorem
(Member)
I've had no problem in locating the JY rep at Heathrow or Gatwick airports. They are usually located near to the check in and hold luggage drop area. I also look out for other travelers JY luggage labels and strike up a conversation. I've also never had a problem after landing at the destination.
Suitsya
(Member)
'Rose1999' wrote:

Mobile contact details for TMs would be really useful, not only at arrival airports if someone is lost or unsure about where to meet, but also when on tours. if someone is lost and can't find the coach, or is suddenly taken ill, or decides they want more time in a particular place so prefer to get a taxi/make their own way back, or myriad other examples, they could just ring or text the TM.

Most of the time it would probably not be used but it act as reassurance for everyone.

I have never travelled with a group tour where a mobile contact number has not been offered. Bit apprehensive now I've read the posts here. Got my first tour with jy coming up very soon.

S

Una
  • (Member)
(Member)
'dennyb33' wrote:

The same happened on a tour I did with my sister. Never saw the rep at the airport. The documentation mentions that the rep is there if you need assistance. We didn't need any assistance so checked in and went through security. And met others in the group at the departure gate. When talking to the tour manager later, she mentioned that we hadn't our names ticked off on the reps list so that she ended up asking the airline if we had checked in...  considering that there we couldn't see the rep (checkin area for airline was over 2 zones and the rep was at the other zone to the one we had gone to) and the documentation doesn't say that you SHOULD meet the rep...  if it's a must then the documentation should say where the rep will be rather than just "before checkin", to allow for multiple check in zones

calmusic
(Member)
'tweety55' wrote:

Hi Tweety 55

I am in the same position as you a first time traveller with JY.  It took me a while to find the courage to book a holiday for the same reason being at the airport on my own.  A few fellow travellers replied to my message and made me feel so much more confident and gave me reassurance.  My worry was the destination end not knowing where to go.  I now know about the Tour Reps being there to meet us so my mind is at ease. I have booked for Andalucía in September I am really looking forward to going and meeting new people. 

Hope you overcome your fear and look forward to your holiday  🙂 .  

Kind regards

Caroline

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Usually you will meet most of your fellow travellers, if not all, at the luggage carousel on arriving at your destination and if the Tour Manager is not travelling with you then there will always be someone holding a Just You board when you leave the airport. Airports can be a daunting place, but there is always someone you can ask for help - it does not always have to be a JY Rep. I know not everyone is confident (years ago I was a very shy and nervous person so know the feeling).

Regards

Jaya