melanipick
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Anyone else going on this trip? Looking forward to it although some of the stuff I have read has been offputting (the visa application, taking medicines into the country etc).

How much money is needed? Do they take credit cards?

shellnortheast
(Member)
'melanipick' wrote:

Anyone else going on this trip? Looking forward to it although some of the stuff I have read has been offputting (the visa application, taking medicines into the country etc).

Hi melanipick yes I'm on the  Russia trip to. Glad I'm not the only one wondering about the visa. But we will get it all sorted out and have a great time.  Welcome to the group from shellnortheast

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi both

The visa process is a bit long winded and may have changed again since I went last year.  I would really recommend using the Russia House checking service as they know all the shortcuts you can get away with in the tediously long form and will happily answer questions on the phone.

As to medicines I didn't go the palaver of getting translations, just make sure you have a copy of any prescription.  If you have Bernie as your tour manager you will be in very good hands.

Credit/debit cards are fine in most places including coffee shops tho you may need cash for some entrance fees.  How much depends on your spending habits.  The vodka museum was a heavy drain on mine!! Being cities, Moscow and St Petersburg are on a similar level to London in terms of cost of items such as drink.  For alcohol if you stick to local beer etc then it is slightly cheaper.

Have a great time - it is a fascinating holiday.

Regards

Chris

shellnortheast
(Member)
'jonah' wrote:

Hi both

The visa process is a bit long winded and may have changed again since I went last year.  I would really recommend using the Russia House checking service as they know all the shortcuts you can get away with in the tediously long form and will happily answer questions on the phone.

As to medicines I didn't go the palaver of getting translations, just make sure you have a copy of any prescription.  If you have Bernie as your tour manager you will be in very good hands.

Credit/debit cards are fine in most places including coffee shops tho you may need cash for some entrance fees.  How much depends on your spending habits.  The vodka museum was a heavy drain on mine!! Being cities, Moscow and St Petersburg are on a similar level to London in terms of cost of items such as drink.  For alcohol if you stick to local beer etc then it is slightly cheaper.

Regards

Chris

shellnortheast
(Member)
Hi chris thanks for the hints and tips. Hope you enjoyed your vodka? Think I may try one or maybe two myself.

from shellnortheast

shellnortheast
(Member)
Hi chris thanks for the hints and tips. Hope you enjoyed your vodka? Think I may try one or maybe two myself.

from shellnortheast

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
I certainly did.  The vodka museum is not to be missed
melanipick
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'jonah' wrote:

Hi both

Regards

Chris

Thanks for that. May be just a case of getting a little cash from the ATM at the airport then.

melanipick
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'shellnortheast' wrote:

'melanipick' wrote:

Hi melanipick yes I'm on the  Russia trip to. Glad I'm not the only one wondering about the visa. But we will get it all sorted out and have a great time.  Welcome to the group from shellnortheast

Great! Look forward to meeting you.

GeorgeWasher
(Member)
Hey everyone!

Just so you know, there is a way to avoid visa troubles, if you are okay with a short trip. There are so-called "shore excursions" that use 72 hour visa-free permission to stay there.

https://petersburg.expert/tour/three-day-shore-excursion/ 

Here is a nice article on how it works.

It was a nice tour me and my wife booked for last december. Highly recommend those kinds of trips. They are quite cheap and accessible since you don't have to pay for visa.