Lillian
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Well I’ve taken the plunge and joined the forum- the next step will be to book a holiday!

Having been widowed last June I realise that I can’t always expect friends and family to have the same interest in exploring certain countries as me.Can anyone recommend a good first time trip please?Nervous .....

Barb W
(Member)
Hi Lillian

Well done for joining the forum, a good place to start as you'll get plenty of friendly advice should you need it.I would recommend any of the Italian holidays to start, the Cilento Coast trip is fantastic, or try Croatia's Istrian Coast, that's another great tour. So many lovely places to choose from whichever you go for I'm sure you will have a wonderful time

Regards

Barb

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Lillian,

Barb and Rose are correct, choose somewhere you want to go and book it. Mine was Jordan, Sinai and the Pyramids at Giza back in 2010. Sadly this trip has never been repeated due to the Arab Spring which was 3 months after I went.

I have seen much of Europe and North America since then and do not think that I have had a bad experience with any of the 12. Last year was Singapore and New Zealand, all I can say is wow.

Jan

Paul N
(Member)
'Lillian' wrote:

Well I’ve taken the plunge and joined the forum- the next step will be to book a holiday!

Having been widowed last June I realise that I can’t always expect friends and family to have the same interest in exploring certain countries as me.Can anyone recommend a good first time trip please?Nervous .....

Hi Lillian

Welcome aboard. You have done the difficult bit by taking the first step. I agree with Barb W any of the Italy holidays would be good all have fairly short flights and the Italians are nice people. You can do as much or as little as you want with the group but I think you will find it will be the former. I have said before on this forum pick somewhere you really want to see, book it and enjoy it in excellent company and with an excellent Tour Manager. The tours go somewhere most days and I would say book the optional tours as well to get the full benefit. I went to Sicily last May and going to Tuscany this May. The first was so good that I booked the second.

Happy Holidays see it book it enjoy it

All the best

Paul N

Lillian
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Rose1999' wrote:

'Lillian' wrote:

Hello Lillian

I'm sorry for your loss, I too am widowed and know what a big step it is to take a holiday alone but I'm sure you'll love JY.

My first trip was Flavours of Tuscany last June, it was excellent for a first trip. We were out somewhere every day except one (we had the last day in resort) and it was action packed so I was never left alone wondering what to do, which had been a worry.We had cookery lessons (nothing complicated, but great fun) which were a great ice-breaker, we also had some wine tasting sessions which, again, were great ice breakers. 

On the other hand we were free to go off and do whatever we wanted as long as we got back to the coach in time, so don't  think you will be forced into anything you don't want to do.

I'd say just choose somewhere you like the look of, maybe somewhere you've never been but always wanted to go (I had a lot of scope never having traveled far!) and got for it, you won't regret it.

Happy travels

Rose

Ah Rose,

Thank you for your reply.Its very reassuring.You never expect to find yourself in this situation but you’ve just got to try your best.My husband and I have been to Italy but never Tuscany but did think we would when we retired.I think that one will go on my list.Thank you for your help

Happy travels to you too

Lillian

Lillian
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Barb

Everyone seems lovely on this forum and obviously knows how new people feel about their first trip.

I will definitely book one soon - Italy seems to the place I’m being drawn too but I will look at the dates available.

I’m sure I will enjoy it but will post on the forum when I am back

Thanks again

Lillian

Avocet64
(Member)
Hi Lillian

First of all I would like to say sorry for your loss.

My first ever JY holiday was to Tuscany in 2005.  On the coach journey to the airport I was so nervous I convinced myself I had made a huge mistake, how wrong I was.  I enjoyed Tuscany so much it gave me the confidence to spread my wings and go for bigger things, Peru 2006, China 2007..., the list goes on.  So, I have good memories of Tuscany as it was the start of my adventures and Highlights of Tuscany might be an idea for you to think about if you haven't already visited that area.  Another Italian holiday I really enjoyed was to Puglia. I've not been anywhere in Europe apart from Italy in recent years, but I'm sure others can come up with some great European holidays for you to think about. 

I played it safe for my first holiday, testing the water so to speak, and it's difficult to know what type of holiday would appeal to you, but the world is out there for you to explore along with like minded people, you might decide to go straight into long haul.  Just go for whatever takes your fancy and I'm sure it will be the first of many more holidays to come. 

Good luck with whatever you choose

Avocet

SL Devon
(Member)
'Lillian' wrote:

Hi Lillian

My first holiday with Just You after being widowed was to Calabria.  It is a fabulous place to relax.  Be aware that some of the tours are very full-on with excursions every day, which can be very tiring.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Lillian
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'janib' wrote:

Hello Lillian,

Barb and Rose are correct, choose somewhere you want to go and book it. Mine was Jordan, Sinai and the Pyramids at Giza back in 2010. Sadly this trip has never been repeated due to the Arab Spring which was 3 months after I went.

I have seen much of Europe and North America since then and do not think that I have had a bad experience with any of the 12. Last year was Singapore and New Zealand, all I can say is wow.

Jan

Thanks Jan

That’s really helpful .Your travels sound amazing.I have always wanted to go to Peru .However I think I will try Europe first to see how I get on and who knows my horizons may widen!

Thank you .....and keep on travelling !

Lillian

Lillian
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Paul N' wrote:

'Lillian' wrote:

Hi Lillian

Welcome aboard. You have done the difficult bit by taking the first step. I agree with Barb W any of the Italy holidays would be good all have fairly short flights and the Italians are nice people. You can do as much or as little as you want with the group but I think you will find it will be the former. I have said before on this forum pick somewhere you really want to see, book it and enjoy it in excellent company and with an excellent Tour Manager. The tours go somewhere most days and I would say book the optional tours as well to get the full benefit. I went to Sicily last May and going to Tuscany this May. The first was so good that I booked the second.

All the best

Paul N

Thanks Paul

That’s really helpful advice.I am definitely leaning towards Italy( been to Rome and loved it)

I’ve had such good feedback on this forum that it’s making me feel more confident about booking something!Watch this space...

Enjoy Tuscany!

Cheers

Lillian

Lillian
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Avocet64' wrote:

Hi Lillian

My first ever JY holiday was to Tuscany in 2005.  On the coach journey to the airport I was so nervous I convinced myself I had made a huge mistake, how wrong I was.  I enjoyed Tuscany so much it gave me the confidence to spread my wings and go for bigger things, Peru 2006, China 2007..., the list goes on.  So, I have good memories of Tuscany as it was the start of my adventures and Highlights of Tuscany might be an idea for you to think about if you haven't already visited that area.  Another Italian holiday I really enjoyed was to Puglia. I've not been anywhere in Europe apart from Italy in recent years, but I'm sure others can come up with some great European holidays for you to think about. 

I played it safe for my first holiday, testing the water so to speak, and it's difficult to know what type of holiday would appeal to you, but the world is out there for you to explore along with like minded people, you might decide to go straight into long haul.  Just go for whatever takes your fancy and I'm sure it will be the first of many more holidays to come. 

Avocet

Thank you for your reply

Peru has been somewhere I’ve wanted to go for 10 years!However like you suggested I’ll try a short haul holiday first - get my confidence up .Youve visited some amazing countries- here’s to many more

Thanks again 

Lillian

SusieB
(Member)
'Lillian' wrote:

'Avocet64' wrote:

Hi Lillian

Avocet

Thank you for your reply

Peru has been somewhere I’ve wanted to go for 10 years!However like you suggested I’ll try a short haul holiday first - get my confidence up .Youve visited some amazing countries- here’s to many more

Thanks again 

Lillian

Hi Lillian

I wouldn't worry too much about taking a short haul holiday first. Once you get to the airport and meet your fellow travellers it won't really matter how far you're going so long as it's where you want. You'll be with a group of like minded people and it's amazing how quickly you gel especially as you will all be enthusiastic about where you're off to

I say this with a degree of experience as my first JY holiday was to India and it worked out really well. I've since been on a further six holidays with them both long and short haul and look forward to many more.

So if Peru is your chosen destination I recommend you go for it now and I'm sure you'll love it.

Happy Travelling

Sue

Lillian
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Paul N' wrote:

'Lillian' wrote:

Hi Lillian

All the best

Paul N

Thanks Paul

That’s really helpful advice.I am definitely leaning towards Italy( been to Rome and loved it)

I’ve had such good feedback on this forum that it’s making me feel more confident about booking something!Watch this space...

Enjoy Tuscany!

Cheers

Lillian

wanny
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello, i know it frightning the first time but is no need to worry! Met Susie on my first ever long haul holiday! Was most welcomed. Everyone is in the same boat. my first holiday was lile and belguim. 

Ann

Katzmother
(Member)
'Rose1999' wrote:

'Lillian' wrote:

Hello Lillian

I'm sorry for your loss, I too am widowed and know what a big step it is to take a holiday alone but I'm sure you'll love JY.

My first trip was Flavours of Tuscany last June, it was excellent for a first trip. We were out somewhere every day except one (we had the last day in resort) and it was action packed so I was never left alone wondering what to do, which had been a worry.We had cookery lessons (nothing complicated, but great fun) which were a great ice-breaker, we also had some wine tasting sessions which, again, were great ice breakers. 

On the other hand we were free to go off and do whatever we wanted as long as we got back to the coach in time, so don't  think you will be forced into anything you don't want to do.

I'd say just choose somewhere you like the look of, maybe somewhere you've never been but always wanted to go (I had a lot of scope never having traveled far!) and got for it, you won't regret it.

Happy travels

Rose

Go for it!  Would definitely agree that Tuscany is an ideal first trip.  I went with a load of books and didn't open one!  I've been to Puglia and China with JY since and I'm about to go to Croatia.  I'm also a widow and I know it's hard to travel when all your friends have partners and aren't available.  I've made so many friends through JY and some are now regular travel companions.  You may feel nervous but think of it as excitement - I've always found that the groups gel and look out for each other pretty quickly.  You'll meet a wide range of people, some in the same situation as yourself, experience amazing things and you will never look back.  You'll feel safe and supported, I promise.  Just go with an open mind and enjoy!

JBOLTON
(Member)
'Lillian' wrote:

Lilllian

Like you this is my first time on Just You and this forum.  I have chosen Highlights of Tuscany and will be going in a couple of weeks time.  Like you I have found this a nice way to get in touch with people who have done the same trip as you or give some other tips in general with this new group.

Whichever one you decide on I am sure you have a fantastic time

Happy Holidays

Jan

Mike A
(Member)
Lillian - Yes, you've made the first step by booking your initial JY trip. I was in the same position last June, when I did my first trip to Majorca with JY, but that gave me the confidence to do a long haul to Florida with in November, and although I did the Andalusia trip two weeks ago and I am doing the Crete trip in September,(both short haul), I am no longer worried about doing long haul on my own again. See how you get on after your first trip, but I am sure you will love it! When you get back, we would all appreciate it if you post a Review in that section, either good or bad, but I am pretty sure it will be good. Best regards. Mike