Jellifer
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Booked this trip nearly a year ago now and am getting very excited that it’s only 9 months away now. Will any of you lovely people be joining me? Do any previous visitors have any top tips? Any help would be appreciated! 

Amy - please can you let me know how many people are booked on the trip & the age/gender split? I’m guessing it’s far too early to know who the TM will be?

Moderator2
(Member)
Hi Jellifer,

Of course!

This tour is now fully booked with 9 travelers. 2 are male and 7 are female. The ages range between late 30s - early 70s.

The TM is yet to be confirmed.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

jwb
  • (Member)
(Member)
I did this trip in February 2018 and I was in a group of 9 like yourself. We travelled on a different Hurtigruten ship to you but I'm sure it will be at least the equal of the Midnatsol. The crew were absolutely fantastic to make this truly a trip of lifetime!

The tips I would give are wear layers! You may not believe it but when we walked to the top of some of the snow covered hills (not as strenuous as it sounds!) you needed to unzip a layer or two! The ship will provide insulated boots for use in Antarctica and it is mandatory to wear them for any landing. I would recommend a good pair of walking socks.

Also don't forget your seasickness tablets. You may well not need them, I didn't but best be prepared.

Also you have get a medical declaration completed by your GP about 6 weeks prior to going and you must take it with you when you board the ship.

Hope this is of some help.

I wish that I was coming with you!!!!!!!!

Jellifer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'jwb' wrote:

I did this trip in February 2018 and I was in a group of 9 like yourself. We travelled on a different Hurtigruten ship to you but I'm sure it will be at least the equal of the Midnatsol. The crew were absolutely fantastic to make this truly a trip of lifetime!

The tips I would give are wear layers! You may not believe it but when we walked to the top of some of the snow covered hills (not as strenuous as it sounds!) you needed to unzip a layer or two! The ship will provide insulated boots for use in Antarctica and it is mandatory to wear them for any landing. I would recommend a good pair of walking socks.

Also don't forget your seasickness tablets. You may well not need them, I didn't but best be prepared.

Also you have get a medical declaration completed by your GP about 6 weeks prior to going and you must take it with you when you board the ship.

Hope this is of some help.

I wish that I was coming with you!!!!!!!!

Hi jwb,

Thanks so much for your reply, it's really helpful. Sounds like you had an amazing trip. Who was your tour manager? Do you have any more tips regarding what sort of clothes I need to pack? Most ships I've been on have been quite warm inside, was this the case with Hurtigruten? Do they provide walking poles and was there a chance to take a dip in antarctic waters (brrrrrr)?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I'll think of some more!

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jellifer

Surely you are not planning to have a dip in the Antarctic waters?! I would love to see the Antarctic but am not too sure about the cold weather and the sea sickness. Maybe one day I will consider this trip after I have exhausted all the other destinations. Have a wonderful time and do post a review as I will be very interested to read it.

Regards

Jaya

Jellifer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Jellifer

Surely you are not planning to have a dip in the Antarctic waters?!  I would love to see the Antarctic but am not too sure about the cold weather and the sea sickness.  Maybe one day I will consider this trip after I have exhausted all the other destinations.  Have a wonderful time and do post a review as I will be very interested to read it.

Regards

Jaya

Hi Jaya.... well I might be tempted with a paddle! 

Will definitely write a review upon my return. Also need to check I’m still in your bank robbing squad!

PeterG
(Member)
'Jellifer' wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply, it's really helpful. Sounds like you had an amazing trip. Who was your tour manager? Do you have any more tips regarding what sort of clothes I need to pack? Most ships I've been on have been quite warm inside, was this the case with Hurtigruten? Do they provide walking poles and was there a chance to take a dip in antarctic waters (brrrrrr)?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I'll think of some more!

Hi Jellifer

I can confirm that when I did this trip over Xmas/New Year 2016/2017 it was warm on the boat. You will need to add layers when you go on deck, although on Midnatsol there were areas which were sheltered from the breeze.

I would recommend taking waterproof overtrousers for protection when out in the Tender Boats as you can get splashed with sea spray. I didn't take a waterproof coat as I knew we were going to get one on board and I wore that.

I didn't find it particularly cold (temps about freezing) but that rather depends how windy it is - (I can tell you the Rockie Mountains in February is much much colder!).

I believe some people did go swimming at one of stops. You will get an A4 sheet in the evening detailing the following day's arrangements and the one for Neko Harbor states "No swimming at Neko" so I can only assume it's OK elsewhere.

Peter

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jellifer' wrote:

'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Jellifer

Surely you are not planning to have a dip in the Antarctic waters?!  I would love to see the Antarctic but am not too sure about the cold weather and the sea sickness.  Maybe one day I will consider this trip after I have exhausted all the other destinations.  Have a wonderful time and do post a review as I will be very interested to read it.

Regards

Jaya

Hi Jaya.... well I might be tempted with a paddle! 

Will definitely write a review upon my return. Also need to check I’m still in your bank robbing squad!

Hi Jellifer

The bank robbing has been put on the back burner as Rose and I have decided that it will be much better to rob when we are old and broke so we can have a nice life in the jail - three hot meals, plenty of leisure time, no bills to pay etc etc!  Will add you to the list.

Enjoy your paddle or a dip 🙂

Regards

Jaya

Jellifer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jellifer

I can confirm that when I did this trip over Xmas/New Year 2016/2017 it was warm on the boat. You will need to add layers when you go on deck, although on Midnatsol there were areas which were sheltered from the breeze.

I would recommend taking waterproof overtrousers for protection when out in the Tender Boats as you can get splashed with sea spray. I didn't take a waterproof coat as I knew we were going to get one on board and I wore that.

I didn't find it particularly cold (temps about freezing) but that rather depends how windy it is - (I can tell you the Rockie Mountains in February is much much colder!).

I believe some people did go swimming at one of stops. You will get an A4 sheet in the evening detailing the following day's arrangements and the one for Neko Harbor states "No swimming at Neko" so I can only assume it's OK elsewhere.

Peter

Thanks Peter, really appreciate the help!

Jellifer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi,

Has the Tour Manager been allocated for this trip yet? Will they be flying out with the group from Heathrow?

Also wondered if JY will provide us with a suggested packing list?

I booked this so long ago it finally seems to be getting closer... 'only' 16 weeks to go!

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Jellifer,

Sorry for the late reply! Your TM hasn't been allocated yet, but please check back with me nearer the time and I can let you know 🙂

We send a packing guide out with your final documents, so everything will be covered in that. But basically you need to take lots of layers, fleeces and base layers are key! Also, a down jacket, walking shoes are advisable although they're provided for Antarctica and there will be waterproofs on board, but feel free to bring your own too. Sun cream (a high factor) and sunglasses are also important and don't forget your swimming stuff...there's a jacuzzi on board the ship! 🙂

Many thanks,

Vickie

Jellifer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Vickie,

Has a TM been allocated yet?

Thanks.

Jellifer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Please can you advise what currency is needed for this trip?
Jellifer
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Vicki,

I’ve just had a letter from JY advising that the hotel in Buenos Aires has changed from the Brick to the Sofitel. On all paperwork I had it said we were staying at the Emperador.

Are you able to clarify exactly which hotel it is that we’re staying at both pre and post cruise in BA please?

Thanks

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Jellifer,

The Brick hotel has just had a name change and is now called the Sofitel.

The first 2 nights are at the Emperador in Buenos Aires – 13 nights on board the Midnatsol – then 1 night at the Sofitel (was Brick)

We'll be sending your paperwork out to confirm ASAP - apologies for the delay.

Many thanks,

Vickie