fraj1
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi - I’m new to Just You and just wondering what the age range might be on long-haul trips generally?  I’m a late starter in the long-haul travel game and whilst I mix really well with all ages I recognise I might not have the stamina of a younger age group on a busy schedule tour. 

Any experiences very welcome! Thanks!

Jellifer
(Member)
Hi,

On the trips I've been on ages ranged from 30s to 80s. I'm at the younger end of the range & really enjoyed mixing with all ages. Some of the older folk were fitter than me and one lady in her 80s persuaded me to zip line in New Zealand by coming with me!  🙂

Age is just a number, you'll have lots in common with most people on the trip so I really wouldn't worry about it. 

Where are you thinking of going?

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

Every trip is different. For instance, the Spirit of India trip is fantastic but is very full on and a lot of early starts. You need to be of a "reasonable" fitness, with no mobility problems, for some of the long haul trips as there is a lot of sightseeing and walking, so that you see as much of the country as possible. In the "old days" (!) the average age of a JY tour used to be about 55-60, but it is a lot younger now. If you work on 30-80 age group that covers every trip!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Like many others I have done many tours with JY near and far, many USA tours, Kenya, New Zealand etc..I started using JY in 2006 since then the age range has come down, but it’s pot luck on each tour, if you have a specific tour and date your interested post on the editors board the details and Amy might be able to give you age range etc, or ring the office up. I am now 57, like many others I have been out walked by 80 year olds, I don’t worry about the age I worry about my fitness and others, I might be younger than some but I am not fitter, re arthritis and feet problems.....all the long haul tours I have been on, have been full on, early starts, lots to see and do so that requires walking and sometimes many steps. So really look at what the tour has to offer and do your research on what and where your going.

Have a great time the tours are good fun.

Cindy

fraj1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you for your replies so far - it’s the Experience South Africa one I am looking at initially- I’ll be 66 by then!
fraj1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jellifer' wrote:

Hi,

On the trips I've been on ages ranged from 30s to 80s. I'm at the younger end of the range & really enjoyed mixing with all ages. Some of the older folk were fitter than me and one lady in her 80s persuaded me to zip line in New Zealand by coming with me!  🙂

Age is just a number, you'll have lots in common with most people on the trip so I really wouldn't worry about it. 

Where are you thinking of going?

Experience South Africa??

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I did South Africa in 2011 and absolutely loved it - at 66 you'd be right at the centre of the age range!  Go for it, I'm sure you won't regret it.  Do book the Victoria Falls add-on, if you can, it is the icing on the cake!

Best wishes,

Bob

Jellifer
(Member)
Great choice, I did that last year. There are a couple of early starts but nothing too taxing. It's a really great trip, our group all got along really well. 

Let me know if you have any questions about the trip

SusieB
(Member)
Hi, I went to South Africa & Zambia with JY 4 years ago when I was 67 and it is still my favourite holiday (although Kenya last month comes very close). There were quite a few others on the tour who were older than me and I don't think anyone had any problems at all. At the young age of 66, assuming you're in average health, you'll be absolutely fine.

I'd say go for it, it's a brilliant holiday.

Best wishes

Sue

SarahS
(Member)
I did a very similar JY South African tour in 2014, when l was a similar age to yourself. I'm averagely fit for my age, and didn't  find it unduly strenuous.  I'd say it's a great tour to start out. Great scenery around the Cape and garden route, Kruger Park for the safari drives, and if you do the add on,  Victoria Falls, with a chance to spend a day on safari in Botswana.  I hope have been reassured by the comments regarding age, and book this amazing experience
lesley07
(Member)
Hi

I did the Experience South Africa trip in March aged almost 66years! I did not find it at all taxing when compared with previous trips to China and India.

This is a great trip and I am sure you will enjoy it if you decide to book

Lesley

fraj1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi I did South Africa in 2011 and absolutely loved it - at 66 you'd be right at the centre of the age range!  Go for it, I'm sure you won't regret it.  Do book the Victoria Falls add-on, if you can, it is the icing on the cake!

Best wishes,

Bob

Thanks Bob for your reply - what made the add-on the ‘icing on the cake’ for you? Must say after travelling all that way I’d quite like an extra few days!

fraj1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jellifer' wrote:

Great choice, I did that last year. There are a couple of early starts but nothing too taxing. It's a really great trip, our group all got along really well. 

Let me know if you have any questions about the trip

Thanks Jellifer for the offer to answer my questions! Here’s a few for you if you don’t mind! 

1. Assume the early starts we’re about 5am? But what were ‘normal’ starts?

2. Were evening meals all in the hotels ? Buffet style? 

3. Were there any days with lots of walking and many steps? 

Thanks for being so helpful! 

Jan

fraj1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you everyone for all your helpful comments - any views on whether March, Sept or Nov is better for this particular Experience South Africa trip?

I’ve also got Thailand on my bucket list but am guessing Experience South Africa might be an easier introduction to my long-haul adventures? Thoughts very welcome!

Once again many thanks for your help - am beginning to realise I should have stopped work and begun my travelling sooner - it all looks so exciting!

Jan

lesley07
(Member)
Hi again Jan

I did this trip in March. The weather was mainly warm and sunny which was fine for sightseeing.  There were a few early start when we were moving between places but not too early. Meals in hotels were buffet style and food generally was good with plenty of choice. Walking was mainly on the flat and nothing too strenuous!

I have not been to Thailand but I am sure others who have will give an opinion. 

Lesley

jan106
(Member)
Hi Jan, I am booked on next November trip to South Africa, as this year's was full by the time I got around to it.

South African friends said the best time to visit was later in the year.

Looking forward to the holiday, even though a year away. Might meet up if you decide to book.

Jan

SusieB
(Member)
Hi Jan, I went end Sept beginning Oct. and it was very good weather wise etc. Only downfall was the Victoria Falls had dried up following an exceptionally hot Summer in Zambia.

Best advice is to look up travel sites for SA or indeed any other country you're thinking of going to. They are extremely helpful with climate info. and tips on what to expect at different times of year with regard to rainfall, wildlife, flowers and various other things of interest too.

Sue

Jellifer
(Member)
'fraj1' wrote:

Thanks Jellifer for the offer to answer my questions! Here’s a few for you if you don’t mind! 

1. Assume the early starts we’re about 5am? But what were ‘normal’ starts?

2. Were evening meals all in the hotels ? Buffet style? 

3. Were there any days with lots of walking and many steps? 

Thanks for being so helpful! 

Jan

There were early early starts on safari days but these were SO worth it. 'Normal' day starts varied from 7am to 9am. There was time for a snooze on the coach if need be on longer journeys.

Most evening meals were at the hotel and yes, buffet style. Our hotels in Hermanus and Knysna didn't serve dinner so on those nights we ate out at restaurants with a set menu. Don't miss out on trying the famous South African Malva Pudding dish!

There only day I can remember a lot of walking and steps was at the Featherbed Nature reserve whilst we were in Knysna. We took a boat across to the island and were driven up to the top of the reserve and then we could make our own way back down. The scenery was absolutely beautiful and we took our time and stopped for lots of photos on the way. We were offered wooden walking poles which were useful as the ground can be uneven. Whole walk was 2.2km and then we were rewarded with lunch under the Milkwood trees. Anyone not wanting/able to walk was driven back down to wait for us at the bar.

If you can afford the time and money to do the Zambia extension I would heartily recommend it. Cruising down the Zambezi river at sunset we watched a whole family of elephants swim across... it was magical. The full day trip to Chobe park in Botswana was another highlight of the trip, the animals were amazing but even the journey to get there was memorable. Finally on the last morning some of us went for an early Microlight ride over Victoria Falls (picture in my avatar). This was hands down the best experience I have ever had.... I'd encourage everyone to do it! 🙂

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Jan,

Giving my next door neighbour a heads up on my parents and forthcoming New Zealand trip, her dad had just done the South Africa trip at 77 having a wonderful time. Like Cindy, I have been outwalked by many a sprightly 80 year old, I am now 60 and this is my 11th holiday.

Jan

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I too thoroughly recommend South Africa with Victoria Falls add on. I did this trip last September and it was fantastic. Day trip to Chobe National Park in Botswana is wonderful. Experience of travelling on Livingstone Express in Zambia was great. I did 30 minute microlight flight and also had a close encounter with cheetahs in the morning of the day when we were flying back home! When Bob went they had an extra night in Zambia but unfortunately when I went we only had 3 nights and I think this is the same from now on. This is an amazing trip.

Kind regards

Jaya