Janec
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi

I too thoroughly recommend South Africa with Victoria Falls add on.  I did this trip last September and it was fantastic.  Day trip to Chobe National Park in Botswana is wonderful.  Experience of travelling on Livingstone Express in Zambia was great.  I did 30 minute microlight flight and also had a close encounter with cheetahs in the morning of the day when we were flying back home!  When Bob went they had an extra night in Zambia but unfortunately when I went we only had 3 nights and I think this is the same from now on.  This is an amazing trip.

Kind regards

Jaya

Got back from this trip on Saturday morning - an excellent trip.  I can't agree more that the Zambian extension is a must! 3 of us did the cheetah experience which I had picked up from Jaya's trip review post and it was well worth the effort of getting up early on the day of leaving.  That morning I opened my bedroom curtains to a baby zebra and 2 adults munching grass outside the window, 4 giraffes on the road before even leaving the hotel grounds and the magical experience of being up close to a very loudly purring cheetah.  What more could you want. Unfortunately it was pretty cold in South Africa, particularly on the Kruger drives, this was unexpected so most of us didn't have the appropriate clothing but then noone can control the weather.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jan,

Sorry I've just seen your question now - Zambia was the icing on the cake for me mainly because I had a brilliant time in South Africa and yet the add-on was even better!  As our tour manager described it, a real "out of Africa" experience.  I loved the Zambezi Sun hotel, with wildlife in the grounds (I think you would stay in the same hotel - it's had a rebranding since).  Everything about the add-on was just wonderful - being able to walk to the Falls in our (very minimal free time) and explore for ourselves; the sunset boat trip on the Zambezi with a fiery red sky and sundowners; a gourmet meal on the Royal Livingstone Express steam train, the helicopter ride over the Falls (I wasn't brave enough for the microlight!).  It was all so enjoyable - and we didn't even  have the option of the cheetah experience (although we did something similar in South Africa).  

Regarding when to go, I was there in late Sept/early Oct and while the water level was lower than the wet season, the Falls were still very impressive, especially from the air.  The advantage was that due to the lower levels, we could walk up to the very edge of the Falls (you have to keep your distance during the wet season, as the spray I gather is immense).  So it's up to you what you'd prefer.

All the best,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I organised the Cheetah encounter myself with the reception as it is not really on offer by Just You. Two of us went and had a great time. Sometimes it is best to talk to reception about anything extra you would like to do providing there is enough time to do so. If only I had time to do the lion encounter as well! I felt quite jealous when one of the ladies who was with us for Cheetah encounter said she was now going to do the lion one soon after! South Africa with Victoria Falls add on was really an amazing trip. Early morning drives to Kruger can be very chilly but blankets are provided. Best to take a fleece.

Regards

Jaya