Loumaggie
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, I'm a newbie.  I've always fancied going on holiday at New Year & seen this trip.

Is there anyone going, thinking of going or visited before?

I'm 53, love travel (obviously!) and I'd be travelling from Glasgow.

Thanx, Louise

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Louise

This looks like a nice new year trip but my reservation is that you would have to spend the night before and the night you return on an airport hotel due to flight times to and from Lisbon. This, together with flight to and from Heathrow, will add about £300 to the cost of your break. I am a fellow Scot and often have to think hard about European holidays where extra costs are involved.

Hope this practical advice helps

Lesley

charleyhorse
(Member)
'Loumaggie' wrote:

Hi, I'm a newbie.  I've always fancied going on holiday at New Year & seen this trip.

Thanx, Louise

Hello Louise, yes, I'm coming too! Really looking forward to it. Been on holiday last few years for New Year, mainly with Just You. Don't know Lisbon at all, so looking forward to discovering all about the area. I love travel too, just come back from Madeira with JY, going on the Imperial Cities of the Danube trip soon too. I live in the East Midlands, so London flight for me. So, see you in Portugal!

Loumaggie
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi Louise

This looks like a nice new year trip but my reservation is that you would have to spend the night before and the night you return on an airport hotel due to flight times to and from Lisbon. This, together with flight to and from Heathrow, will add about £300 to the cost of your break. I am a fellow Scot and often have to think hard about European holidays where extra costs are involved.

Lesley

Hi Lesley, thanx for getting back to me. Although I live in a major city it seems difficult to directly travel anywhere!  I found some cheap (at the time) London flights but I'd imagine airport hotels will be more expensive.  Thanx for your advice, further consideration will be needed 😕

Loumaggie
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'charleyhorse' wrote:

'Loumaggie' wrote:

Thanx, Louise

Hello Louise, yes, I'm coming too! Really looking forward to it. Been on holiday last few years for New Year, mainly with Just You. Don't know Lisbon at all, so looking forward to discovering all about the area. I love travel too, just come back from Madeira with JY, going on the Imperial Cities of the Danube trip soon too. I live in the East Midlands, so London flight for me. So, see you in Portugal!

Hi, you are definitely well travelled 🙂 I'm still considering going as will need to do more research.  I was in the Algarve over the summer & Lisbon seems to be an interesting place to visit.  Quite fancy Madeira too.  Thanks for your advice & I'll be in touch if I book.

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi Louise

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

Being a fellow Scot and having done 21 JY trips, with the exception of one trip, I always have to fly down to Heathrow or Gatwick. I always stay in the Premier Inn at the airport and if you book it well in advance it is only about £29. I also use my Avios points for my regional flights, so it has never cost me anywhere near £300.

Just a thought.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Hils

Thanks for info about the hotel at Heathrow. Most times I have travelled to Gatwick and the Premier Inn there is about £74 per night. I have made a decision only to travel to London for long haul flights and to choose european holidays which go from Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Lesley

Puzzle
(Member)
'Loumaggie' wrote:

Thanx, Louise

Hi Loumaggie,

I am thinking about this trip, 47 years young enjoy travelling but finding fewer companions to go with for various reasons. So have been looking at this travel company for awhile now. 

This looks like a good combination of exploring a new city and celebrating seeing the new year in.

It will be my first trip with this company, 1st solo travel and first time away during New Year .....Lol.

Samantha.x

Demne
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi, I’m also considering this trip and will be my first time away at NY but must be better than being home alone! 

I’ve just done US with JY and had a fabulous time.