Rascall
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Everyone, I am going to India on the 2nd of October and was thinking its probably not a good idea to take a big suitcase is it? How much lifting and carrying is there to do on this tours please? Can anyone advise? Its the Spirit of India tour so trains coaches and flights I think? Are there many steps to get into places or our hotels or to our rooms etc? What size suitcase, a hand luggage size is not big enough! Thanking you in advance  🙂
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I took a standard size case that I always take on holidays, that can hold 20-23kg easily.  Porterage is included so there was very little lifting involved - the only time you'd need to lift it would be on/off your bed, on/off the belt at the airport etc.  So I wouldn't worry...

Have a great tour!

Cheers,

Bob

Rascall
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi I took a standard size case that I always take on holidays, that can hold 20-23kg easily.  Porterage is included so there was very little lifting involved - the only time you'd need to lift it would be on/off your bed, on/off the belt at the airport etc.  So I wouldn't worry...

Have a great tour!

Cheers,

Bob

Ah thank you so much for your reply Bob. Very helpful. Thank you.

magpie10
(Member)
Hi,

I seem to recall having to lift my case on and off the train at one point, and you've got to be really quick as you've only so much time to get on and off before it moves away. Also, you need to double check the weight allowance for any internal flights you take as the lowest weight limit will usually be the most the case can weigh. I know my case was no more than 23kg as I had additional flight with BA, but It's worth making sure, especially if you plan to do shopping out there. I did bits of washing as I went round if I was staying anywhere more than one night, or you could try using the laundry service.

Regards

Caroline

Rascall
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'magpie10' wrote:

Hi,

I seem to recall having to lift my case on and off the train at one point, and you've got to be really quick as you've only so much time to get on and off before it moves away. Also, you need to double check the weight allowance for any internal flights you take as the lowest weight limit will usually be the most the case can weigh. I know my case was no more than 23kg as I had additional flight with BA, but It's worth making sure, especially if you plan to do shopping out there. I did bits of washing as I went round if I was staying anywhere more than one night, or you could try using the laundry service.

Regards

Caroline

Hi Caroline, thank you for your reply. I am using a BA flight to get to Gatwick from Jersey then a bus/coach to Heathrow so I am allowed 23kg on that flight but that weight is too heavy to lug around India with a bad back too which is why I thought I would ask the question. Do you remember what the internal flights were allowed? Was it more like 15-20kgs? I might get a case thats bigger than hand luggage but smaller that my big case. 🙂

magpie10
(Member)
Hi,

I think the internal flights were 20kg but I'd upgraded on my external flights with Jet so I had a higher allowance, but my case was 23kg with the BA flights. If I did it again I think I'd take a smaller case and do more washing on the way round or use the hotel laundry as it's so much less hassle. I took another laptop-sized bag and handbag for the plane as I take a couple of outfits and other essentials in case my luggage goes missing, especially with so many flights (I did the Amritsar add-on as well). JY will let you know on the final documentation they send you, and I also checked on Jet's own website.

Hope this helps, you'll have a wonderful time.

Regards

Caroline

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi again,

The internal flight allowance was 20kg but our cases were weighed together as a group and so it didn't matter if some were over and some were under - one of the men's cases weighed 28kg and it became a running joke!  Of course this was five years ago and the system may have changed since then.  As the weather will be hot, you'll probably be wanting to change clothes every day so you may find you want to take full advantage of the allowance - I've washed clothes before while on holiday and it's a bit of a pain, especially when we move from place to place so often!

All the best,

Bob

CarolJ
(Member)
Hi, I was on this trip in February and the check in system for internal flights is still the same as Bob experienced i.e. All cases weighed in together. I took a large case within the max weight allowance and had enough outfits to change twice a day!! Also bought some more outfits whilst there . Lol. I am in my 60s and had no problem with my case. The only time we struggled a bit with our cases was during the train transfer to Amritsar (the add on) because we were late getting to the station and didn't really have enough time to get our luggage organised in the train but we managed. The tour manager was brilliant and will make sure you and your luggage are ok. I hope you get Barbara as she is amazing. This is a fabulous tour and you will really enjoy it. Carol
Rascall
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your input into my question. It have really helped me a lot. Really looking forward to it now! I am not doing any "add ons" so it looks like I will be ok with my big suitcase so long as I am not over the 23kg from Jersey to London. Thank you all.

Rascall
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'CarolJ' wrote:

Hi, I was on this trip in February and the check in system for internal flights is still the same as Bob experienced i.e. All cases weighed in together. I took a large case within the max weight allowance and had enough outfits to change twice a day!!  Also bought some more outfits whilst there . Lol.  I am in my 60s and had no problem with my case.  The only time we struggled a bit with our cases was during the train transfer to Amritsar (the add on) because we were late getting to the station and didn't really have enough time to get our luggage organised in the train but we managed. The tour manager was brilliant and will make sure you and your luggage are ok. I hope you get Barbara as she is amazing. This is a fabulous tour and you will really enjoy it.  Carol

Hi Everyone, Thank you all for your input into my question. I am really looking forward to my trip now. It looks like I will be alright with my big suitcase as I am not doing any of the add ons so long as I am not over the 23kg for my flight from Jersey to London. Thank you all.