melanipick
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Anyone going on this trip? How much currency are you planning to take? The review suggests £250 but that doesn't sound very much.
TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
'melanipick' wrote:

Anyone going on this trip? How much currency are you planning to take? The review suggests £250 but that doesn't sound very much.

I did Peru with the amazon add on last month and came back with a small amount of change from £400 spending money, but I did buy a number of souveniers and I do like a beer or two.

melanipick
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'TimH' wrote:

'melanipick' wrote:

I did Peru with the amazon add on last month and came back with a small amount of change from £400 spending money, but I did buy a number of souveniers and I do like a beer or two.

Thank you. I was of the opinion of £350 so sounds like it's about right.

Travelinggranny
(Member)
'melanipick' wrote:

I shall be travelling to Peru in October. I saw the item about £250 but like you didn't think it would be enough.

Guess I'll take more on a holiday travel money card probably in U.S dollars with a small amount in local currency.

It'll be great to meet you. :shy:

janetA
(Member)
Hi - I've just returned from the latest trip - Peru is a wonderful place to visit.  I took £500 in Peruvian Sol and spent nearly all of it (approx 4 sol = £1) - but I did buy some beautiful jewellery in the better shops in Pisac plus lots of other gifts. There are markets everywhere with great vfm purchases so keep some space in your case if you want lots of gifts or memories for your home!

Everywhere will take US $ as an alternative if you don't want to gamble on local currency. It's also easy to find an ATM machine in Lima or Cusco - or at the airport between one of the many flights!  Obviously using an ATM has a cost attached but you can get Sol or US $.  Many shops and the hotels all take credit cards but note some only take Visa or Mastercard so if you plan on using credit cards for purchases then it might be wise to take both if you have the option.

We all tipped the local guides who provided the tour information on the visits - so in Lima, Cusco, Puno and the Amazon - we also tipped Rosario at the end - she is absolutely great and you will feel her management and personality add enormous value to the tour. There are guidelines for tipping but you should also give what you feel you can afford - I used about 400 sol for tips.

melanipick
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'janetA' wrote:

Hi - I've just returned from the latest trip - Peru is a wonderful place to visit.  I took £500 in Peruvian Sol and spent nearly all of it (approx 4 sol = £1) - but I did buy some beautiful jewellery in the better shops in Pisac plus lots of other gifts. There are markets everywhere with great vfm purchases so keep some space in your case if you want lots of gifts or memories for your home!

Everywhere will take US $ as an alternative if you don't want to gamble on local currency. It's also easy to find an ATM machine in Lima or Cusco - or at the airport between one of the many flights!  Obviously using an ATM has a cost attached but you can get Sol or US $.  Many shops and the hotels all take credit cards but note some only take Visa or Mastercard so if you plan on using credit cards for purchases then it might be wise to take both if you have the option.

We all tipped the local guides who provided the tour information on the visits - so in Lima, Cusco, Puno and the Amazon - we also tipped Rosario at the end - she is absolutely great and you will feel her management and personality add enormous value to the tour. There are guidelines for tipping but you should also give what you feel you can afford - I used about 400 sol for tips.

Thanks Janet - useful info, unfortunately picked it up too late. I've plumped for £350. Seems you did the extension so you would need more, I'm just doing the 11 days so fingers crossed!

melanipick
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Travelinggranny' wrote:

'melanipick' wrote:

I shall be travelling to Peru in October. I saw the item about £250 but like you didn't think it would be enough.

Guess I'll take more on a holiday travel money card probably in U.S dollars with a small amount in local currency.

It'll be great to meet you. :shy:

Hi Travelling granny. Nice to know someone else is going on it. What advice have you had about Yellow Fever jab? Peru don't require it, but Colombia do - thing is, we're only going to the airport in Colombia so not sure if it still applies.