Susanxyz
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

I am going to have a taxi to and from Manchester airport for my Baltics holiday in Sept as the flight lands back late at night and I dont want to driving when I am very tired :sleepy:

It is not cheap, £130 and I wondered if you give a tip on top of this return fare.

Has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing please

Yours Sue

Jenny P
(Member)
Have you thought about booking a cheap hotel room for the night and travelling on public transport the next day? There are usually 'deals' to be had at hotels near airports.
SarahS
(Member)
If you do use a taxi, don't be intimidated into giving a tip unless you want to. For instance if the driver is especially helpful in handling luggage.
daveJB
(Member)
'Jenny P' wrote:

Have you thought about booking a cheap hotel room for the night and travelling on public transport the next day?  There are usually 'deals' to be had at hotels near airports.

Hi Susanxyz,

Premier Inn have three hotels near Manchester airport and I took the liberty of looking up the prices for

the 3rd Sept.

Heald Green £42

Runger Lane North £58

Runger Lane South £50 all saver prices.

So as Jenny P suggests you could do a lot better than £130.

I hope you find this helpful.

Dave.

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sue

As several JY-ers have said you could stay in Manchester for a lot less.  I use a hotel at Wilmslow that has car parking at the hotel which is rare these days when I fly from Manchester.  A taxi from the hotel to the airport is £6.  If you google airport hotel and parking deals you should be able to pick up a good deal.  The other option if you don't want to drive is to use National Express - JY can arrange discounted fares.

Have a great holiday

lonetraveller
(Member)
'Susanxyz' wrote:

Hi

I am going to have a taxi to and from Manchester airport for my Baltics holiday in Sept as the flight lands back late at night and I dont want to driving when I am very tired :sleepy:

It is not cheap, £130 and I wondered if you give a tip on top of this return fare.

Has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing please

Yours Sue

Hi Susan,

That is rather expensive, must be a long way.  Taxi drivers are quite used to not getting a tip so I should just go by your instinct and base on what sort of a driver you get.  As regards return fare tipping you would not likely to get the same driver so I would treat as separate journeys.  Hope that helps, I never tip for poor service anywhere. Have a good trip.

Regards

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I usually tip the taxi driver if he is good though you do not have to if you don't want to do so.

Regards

Jaya

Susanxyz
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jenny P' wrote:

Have you thought about booking a cheap hotel room for the night and travelling on public transport the next day?  There are usually 'deals' to be had at hotels near airports.

Hi Jenny

The £130 is the RETURN taxi fare as I will be travelling over to Manchester the day before and staying as its an early flight. I am not far away, Sheffield actually but would have to get up in the middle of the night AND the Pennines are often blocked with accidents,fog etc so I wouldnt sleep worring. I usually drive,hotel and park etc but as I said we land at midnight after a very long day

Thankyou ALL for your suggestions and I will tip if I get good service

Yours Sue

Jenny P
(Member)
'Susanxyz' wrote:

'Jenny P' wrote:

Hi Jenny

The £130 is the RETURN taxi fare as I will be travelling over to Manchester the day before and staying as its an early flight. I am not far away, Sheffield actually but would have to get up in the middle of the night AND the Pennines are often blocked with accidents,fog etc so I wouldnt sleep worring. I usually drive,hotel and park etc but as I said we land at midnight after a very long day

Thankyou ALL for your suggestions and I will tip if I get good service

Yours Sue

I have the same problem when going to Gatwick, but having tried the train, struggled on the underground across London with a large suitcase, that's no joke.  Also tried National Express, they dumped me in a deserted Hemel Hempstead in the wee small hours of the morning with nowhere to sit except a bus shelter, for an hour waiting for a connection.  Hang the expense, I take a taxi!