Joolsg
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, going to Burma in November and haven't a clue how much I will need, can anyone help? Thanks Julie
jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Joolsg' wrote:

Hi, going to Burma in November and haven't a clue how much I will need, can anyone help? Thanks Julie

Hi Jools

You cannot take Burmese currency - this has to be obtained in Burma and cannot be brought out either.  You need Dollars, clean and uncreased which you can change at Yangon airport or any bank.  There are also ATM's at Yangon airport and I understand from groups who travelled after us that more have been installed in many of the locations you will visit.  Credit cards are accepted in hotels who will either charge in dollars or Kyat (chat).

As to how much to take it depends on what you want to spend it on and whether you are doing the add on.  From memory I took 300 dollars which was fine altho the exchange rate may be different now - the cost of living is quite low.  Have a look at my review Barefoot in Burma and there are several other threads too from later travellers. 

Have a brilliant time - it is a great country

Joolsg
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for that, I have read you post on barefoot in Burma before and found it really helpful, not doing add on and haven't a clue if I will need $300 or $600 ?