DAB
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have just booked on this holiday and thought I would say "Hello" to my fellow travellers.
charleyhorse
(Member)
Hello, glad to hear of someone else travelling to Iceland for the New Year. I did the same trip 2 years ago. It was such a good time that I am repeating it. The New Years Eve was fantastic, lovely restaurant, just a fabulous time. Quite smart dress that night, but also need to take a bag with warm clothes as we go to the bonfire during the evening also, before returning to the restaurant. Different hotel this time, but just round the corner from before. It's about half hour walk into the city. Golden circle trip really worth doing, also northern lights. We did get to see the northern lights, but it was freezing cold, but the local guide persevered until we were successful. Bring lots of warm clothes! This trip was one of my favourite JY trips.
DAB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'charleyhorse' wrote:

Hello, glad to hear of someone else travelling to Iceland for the New Year. I did the same trip 2 years ago. It was such a good time that I am repeating it. The New Years Eve was fantastic, lovely restaurant, just a fabulous time. Quite smart dress that night, but also need to take a bag with warm clothes as we go to the bonfire during the evening also, before returning to the restaurant. Different hotel this time, but just round the corner from before. It's about half hour walk into the city. Golden circle trip really worth doing, also northern lights. We did get to see the northern lights, but it was freezing cold, but the local guide persevered until we were successful. Bring lots of warm clothes! This trip was one of my favourite JY trips.

Thank you Charleyhorse for the heads up re clothing. I was expecting wrap up but did wonder about the New Years Eve meal. I have booked both the extra excursions and I am looking forward to it. It must be good if you are making a return trip! I have only been on one trip with Just You before and that was to Vietnam and Cambodia for Christmas and New Year. Look forward to meeting you  🙂

DavidG
(Member)
Hello, 

I did this trip a few years ago and it was brilliant! The firework display at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve is totally unforgettable. Food everywhere is good and everyone speaks English. It will be incredibly cold (-14 one day), so plenty of layers will be necessary.

Everywhere will be icy, so non-slip footwear is essential. I can strongly recommend the ice boots from Coopers of Stortford http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/ which are very warm, waterproof and have a 'flip down' grip which only takes seconds to open. Others had bought grips to fit on ordinary shoes which take time to fit each time - with cold fingers! Do allow plenty of time for delivery as mine took over a month.

An unforgettable experience.

DAB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'DavidG' wrote:

Hello, 

I did this trip a few years ago and it was brilliant! The firework display at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve is totally unforgettable. Food everywhere is good and everyone speaks English. It will be incredibly cold (-14 one day), so plenty of layers will be necessary.

Everywhere will be icy, so non-slip footwear is essential. I can strongly recommend the ice boots from Coopers of Stortford http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/ which are very warm, waterproof and have a 'flip down' grip which only takes seconds to open. Others had bought grips to fit on ordinary shoes which take time to fit each time - with cold fingers! Do allow plenty of time for delivery as mine took over a month.

An unforgettable experience.

Thank you DavidG. I live in the frozen north so have been checking out the snow boots in the local outdoor shops. I was wondering how necessary they were in relation to hiking boots and grips (which I already have) but now thinking they might be a good idea. I am already in my thermals as it is! It does seem that it will be a memorable trip from the comments I have read so far so I am looking forward to it a lot.

intrepid traveller
(Member)
Hi, I did this trip 3 years ago and LOVED it.  Amazing unforgettable experience.  As well as packing warm clothes please leave room for swimming costume! We were swimming outdoors in the Blue Lagoon in a snowstorm on New Years Day.  Brilliant.  You HAVE to do it.  Enjoy.
DAB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'intrepid traveller' wrote:

Hi, I did this trip 3 years ago and LOVED it.  Amazing unforgettable experience.  As well as packing warm clothes please leave room for swimming costume! We were swimming outdoors in the Blue Lagoon in a snowstorm on New Years Day.  Brilliant.  You HAVE to do it.  Enjoy.

Hi intrepid traveller, thank you for your post. lots of people seemed to have loved this trip so definitely looking forward to it. I have booked both excursions so will be visiting the Blue Lagoon.  A bit of snow is very festive. Did you get to see the Northern Lights?

DavidG
(Member)
Hello DAB,

Snow is likely to be quite deep, and trafficked areas will be ice, so suitable for both. Also, plenty of layers are essential as it will be VERY cold, shops etc will be warm.

You are in for a memorable holiday.

PeterG
(Member)
"Snow is likely to be quite deep, and trafficked areas will be ice, so suitable for both. Also, plenty of layers are essential as it will be VERY cold, shops etc will be warm."

That is not necessarily true. I was there for the New Year 2013/2014 trip and the temperature was about or just above freezing. In fact what little snow and ice there was in Reykjavik was melting all the time we were there. It was very icy and pretty cold around Gullfoss though and grips on your feet were a great help.

the temperature depends very much on the wind direction - if you get winds off the Atlantic blowing in from the south it won't be very cold (and you probably won't get the chance to see the northern lights either).

intrepid traveller
(Member)
'DAB' wrote:

Hi intrepid traveller, thank you for your post. lots of people seemed to have loved this trip so definitely looking forward to it. I have booked both excursions so will be visiting the Blue Lagoon.  A bit of snow is very festive. Did you get to see the Northern Lights?

Yes, absolutely amazingly unforgettable experience.  The snow was falling thick and fast when we left the hotel but the local guide assured us that 'this was the night for the lights' suddenly the sky cleared and there they were sweeping across the sky.  Sooooooo beautiful, so exciting. Loved it.

DAB
(Member) (Topic Starter)

'DAB' wrote:

Yes, absolutely amazingly unforgettable experience.  The snow was falling thick and fast when we left the hotel but the local guide assured us that 'this was the night for the lights' suddenly the sky cleared and there they were sweeping across the sky.  Sooooooo beautiful, so exciting. Loved it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed then ! Had snow here last night so acclimatising already!

DAB
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'PeterG' wrote:

"Snow is likely to be quite deep, and trafficked areas will be ice, so suitable for both. Also, plenty of layers are essential as it will be VERY cold, shops etc will be warm."

That is not necessarily true. I was there for the New Year 2013/2014 trip and the temperature was about or just above freezing. In fact what little snow and ice there was in Reykjavik was melting all the time we were there. It was very icy and pretty cold around Gullfoss though and grips on your feet were a great help.

the temperature depends very much on the wind direction - if you get winds off the Atlantic blowing in from the south it won't be very cold (and you probably won't get the chance to see the northern lights either).

Thank you for the information PeterG. I think be prepared for anything might be my motto for this trip so I will pack the kitchen sink as usual :dodgy: I will keep my fingers crossed for the Northern Lights too