Shesthehighestmountain
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Ok, so I'm brand new to this community and pretty new to travelling on the whole.  At 35 I figure it's time to start doing this alone, or get the cat collection under way!  The idea of airports and under grounds makes my palms sweaty, don't think I could even find my Arse with a map!

Any words of encouragement or hand holding would be welcome! (Not planning any hols immediately, but definitely want to start forming plans)  where to go, what to do, how to do it etc etc.. And of course, nice to "meet you all"  😃

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Well a warm welcome to you.

Don't worry we all have to start somewhere with this journey of travelling single. I have a husband but he has no interest in tours, so in 2006 I started useing JY my first tour was to the USA.

Like you I cannot read a map so going with a group is good, you are very well looked after with JY, I have done 11 tours and I have not got lost as yet.

When I started I was 46, at 35 you will be in the younger age bracket but I think there are more younger ones travelling now than when I started. The tour groups can vary in size I like the larger groups as there is more people to buddy up with and makes for a busy group which I like.

Have a look in the brochure read up exactly what's included etc, then book it and start the countdown till you go..

Have fun!

Cindy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi welcome to JY!

I started travelling with JY the year I turned 40 and although I'm sometimes the youngest on the tour, it's never been a problem.  I've done 13 tours, with 2 more booked and thanks to JY I have now travelled all over the world.  My only advice is to get a copy of the brochures (the last full one was in May but there have been a couple of mini ones produced last month, including one showcasing their amazing new tours) and spend some happy hours flicking through the pages and mark the ones you might be interested in.  It's much easier and more fun doing this than looking at them online in my opinion!  If you're a bit daunted about airports, read Sally's "At the Airport" thread on the Share your Travel Tips forum and this should reassure you - they are really not that scary and if you follow Sally's advice you won't go wrong!  On the whole JY groups are very friendly and they are a great company to travel with.  It's the best decision I made in a very long time, so go for it - the world is waiting!!

All the best,

Bob

Shesthehighestmountain
(Member) (Topic Starter)
? thankyou both x
SylviaJ
(Member)
'Shesthehighestmountain' wrote:

Ok, so I'm brand new to this community and pretty new to travelling on the whole.  At 35 I figure it's time to start doing this alone, or get the cat collection under way!  The idea of airports and under grounds makes my palms sweaty, don't think I could even find my Arse with a map!

Any words of encouragement or hand holding would be welcome! (Not planning any hols immediately, but definitely want to start forming plans)  where to go, what to do, how to do it etc etc.. And of course, nice to "meet you all"  :D

Hi

I started travelling with JY 6 years ago with fear and trepidation but have since become addicted to travel.  Pick a country where you've always wanted to visit and go for it.  You will not regret it.  And, seeing the world is much better than collecting cats!

Regards

Sylvia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello and Welcome

All I would add to the other comments is get the brochure, pick a destination and go ahead and book it. You will have no regrets. Travelling with Just You is safe and everything is taken care of from start to finish. You travel with like minded people of all ages. I started travelling with Just You in 2009 and since then have been on a total of 14 holidays with one booked for next year. Travelling with Just You is addictive. Go on life is too short and I also agree with Sylvia that seeing the world is much better than collecting cats!

Jaya

Ceri-38
(Member)
Hi

My names Ceri and I'm 38

I'm going on my first holiday with just you next month

You should definitely book everyone has been very kind to me so far

I'm looking forward to being the youngest considering I'm nearly forty happy days I say ?

Chris84
(Member)
Hello Highest Mountain.

I am a couple of years younger than yourself, and I went on my first JY holiday in September to Sardinia. I had never traveled solo before and there are so many places I wanted see. So I took the plunge and I am so glad I did. Yes I was the youngest on the holiday, but there were a few others in the same age bracket, and to be honest that dId not matter, and there is flexibility so you can spend as much time on your own or with the new friends your going to make.

I have booked by two holidays for next year, both of them are tours - Basque Country at the end of April, and Sicily in September. And I am looking out for the early 2018 tours one of the longer haul trips not sure which but one of India, Kenya, China or the Rockies.

Chris