KirstyK
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what sort of clothes to take to China next week! Can I take some pairs of shorts,crops and tshirts or should I only take jeans and jumpers? Don't know what type of weather we'll be getting!!

Thanks

Kirsty

IanWight
(Member)
Hi Kirsty,

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/  Just go to the search box & enter weather & the place(s) you are going.

I fear it will not be shorts & a tee with average temperatures around the 60 - 65 F mark. Layers would seem to be the order of the day.

Some rain to be expected - I bought a new poncho yesterday. 🙂

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

Can I refer you to Sally's "very useful travel websites" post under "Share your travel tips" - this will give you an idea on what the weather is currently. I don't know what the culture situation is in China (I'm going next year) but I would also check out whether you can wear shorts etc. in temples (if you are going to any). Most religious sites insist on shoulders and knees covered, and in some places heads also! Always good to carry a scarf/pashmina with you.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Hils

SarahS
(Member)
When I did the China tour in early October, most people wore long cotton trousers or  lightweight jeans with sleeved tops, and a fleece or jacket  for chilly morning early stats.   Shanghai was noticeably warmer than the other cities. We  visited several temples, all of  them Budist. The dress code was not as strict as more devout Budist  countries such as Cambodia  and Sri Lanka  where covered shoulders and knees and bare heads and feet are required.
jayli
  • (Member)
(Member)
'KirstyK' wrote:

Hi everyone I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what sort of clothes to take to China next week! Can I take some pairs of shorts,crops and tshirts or should I only take jeans and jumpers? Don't know what type of weather we'll be getting!!

Thanks

Kirsty

Hello Kirsty

China is a big place, so the weather varies a lot: just google "weather in china" and you will find lots of relevant sites.

October is a good time to go. I was there (Beijing, Xi'An, Guilin, Chengdu, Shanghai) in the second half of October 2014. The weather was generally  in the low 20s, sunny throughout, with one rain shower, in Xi'An while we were inside viewing the Terracotte Army, so that didn't matter. Beijing and the Great Wall were smog-free except on the last morning - smog was not an issue anywhere else. I wore my usual UK early autumn clothing and was quite comfortable It is slightly warmer in the south, of course, so you may get away with summer clothing there.

Whatever the weather, you will find China a fascinating place.

Jim

jayli
  • (Member)
(Member)
'IanWight' wrote:

Hi Kirsty,

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/  Just go to the search box & enter weather & the place(s) you are going.

I fear it will not be shorts & a tee with average temperatures around the 60 - 65 F mark. Layers would seem to be the order of the day.

Some rain to be expected - I bought a new poncho yesterday. :-)

Hello Ian

Is this the TS trip to Yunnan and Tibet?: if so, I am also going on that, and doing the HKG add-on.

We shall certainly need layers for this!

Jim

IanWight
(Member)
Hi Jim,

No I'm on "Unmissable China & Mighty Yangtze Cruise with Hong Kong add on".

Opted for TS because of the dates & this included the Yangtze & Hong Kong which I have not managed to get to before.

Enjoy Tibet - I really enjoyed Nepal a few years ago.

Best regards

Ian