Anthea Smith
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I'm thinking of booking this trip to India in March 2017. Was wondering if anyone else is booked.
lesley07
(Member)
Hi

I did this trip in 2012 and the Kerala trip last year . I enjoyed both but Spirit of India remains my favourite. India is a fascinating country and you see and do so much on this trip. Add on to Amritsar was not available when I did this holiday but I would have done this and hope to visit at some point.

Any questions please ask

Lesley

omoorem
(Member)
Hi. I have recently booked this holiday - Spirit of India - for March 2017. I've also booked the add-on to Amritsar. I've been looking at this holiday for sometime now. Had to wait awhile for this opportunity due to moving house ! I have just noticed that the Feb 6th 2017 trip is almost fully booked except for 2 available places. My understanding is that there are limited places for the Amritsar add-on for this tour. Looking forward to it !
Anthea Smith
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I've booked now, just the original tour without the add on. I asked how many were booked and was told 11 out of 20 places. May be more now. It's my first holiday with JY and I am so looking forward to it.
Anthea Smith
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Lesley,

I've booked this trip now and have read your original review which I found interesting. You mention early starts and some late nights, does this mean that you don't have time to use the swimming pools etc at the hotels. Also what about changing for dinner? Are we there in time to freshen up both our bodies and our clothes?!  

Please pass on any tips that will help.  Thanks Anthea

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Anthea

Pleased that you have booked this trip. I have had a look at your itinerary and hotels and although there are some hotel changes, visits and timings are much the same. There is some free time where you could use hotel pools but it will be limited. I chose not to do second game drive in Rathambore and had a massage instead. I used the free time in Varanasi to have a pedicure!

There was always time to have a shower and to change for dinner. Smart casual clothes were fine.

My advice is go to India with an open mind. Take necessary precautions against tummy upsets-hand gel, Imodium and rehydration drinks should be packed. 

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Lesley

omoorem
(Member)
Hi Anthea.

Glad to see you have booked this trip. I am sure it will be great ! I've traveled with JY 5 times before and have not been disappointed. I've been really lucky enough to travel to Rome, China, Cuba, Australia with Singapore add-on and also Vietnam with Cambodia add-on. I have booked the Amritsar add-on as I like to get the most out of traveling that far. As it is a busy tour I always say it will be an "experience" and not a relaxing holiday ! So it will be busy and some early morning starts. But I think there will be some time to relax according to the itinerary and the reviews I have read. I too would like to use the swimming pools when I can. All the hotels look good. As with most of the long haul flights we usually meet up in one of the "lounge areas" at the airport before the flight which is great as it gives us the opportunity to get together before the flight. Looking forward to it !

Maggie

Kimbeverley
(Member)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi Anthea

Pleased that you have booked this trip. I have had a look at your itinerary and hotels and although there are some hotel changes, visits and timings are much the same. There is some free time where you could use hotel pools but it will be limited. I chose not to do second game drive in Rathambore and had a massage instead. I used the free time in Varanasi to have a pedicure!

There was always time to have a shower and to change for dinner. Smart casual clothes were fine.

My advice is go to India with an open mind. Take necessary precautions against tummy upsets-hand gel, Imodium and rehydration drinks should be packed. 

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Lesley

Did many people on your trip get a upset stomach Lesley ,I would really  love to go to India but i do worry about getting delli belly as it could  spoil the trip.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I did this tour in March 2012 and had an upset stomach for just a day - some of the others did also including the one vegetarian (some people advise staying away from meat but it didn't work for her!)  It really is just the luck of the draw, but everyone recovered quickly.  India is really no different to going anywhere else from this point of view - Delhi Belly is just a name that has stuck and you can get an upset stomach in any foreign country - it's generally a result of encountering different bacteria to what we're used to.  If you are particularly concerned you could do what I do (I have a delicate stomach!) and take Boots Digestion Support Travel pills (start with one a day for a week before you go and take two a day while away).  For the last couple of tours I've been on I've also taken aloe vera juice for a couple of weeks before going away and I've had no tummy troubles at all.  Also bring Immodium Instants with you just in case.  Don't let the fear of an upset stomach put you off going - I had an amazing experience!  This is a fantastic tour and we were lucky to have a close encounter with a tiger in Ranthambore.  I also loved the Taj Mahal (no surprise there!) and the boat trip on the Ganges in Varanasi.  Go with an open mind and expect lots of early starts, pungent smells and amazing experiences!

All the best,

Bob

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Anthea

I agree with all Bob has to say. I have a bowel condition which can cause problems but I had no problems on my trips to India. I watched what I ate and avoided salads , ice cream and ice in drinks. Hand gel is a must and I used copious amounts!!! Hygiene standards were very high in hotels and food preparation seemed to receive appropriate attention.

Hope this helps

Lesley

Anthea Smith
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi Anthea

I agree with all Bob has to say. I have a bowel condition which can cause problems but I had no problems on my trips to India. I watched what I ate and avoided salads , ice cream and ice in drinks. Hand gel is a must and I used copious amounts!!! Hygiene standards were very high in hotels and food preparation seemed to receive appropriate attention.

Hope this helps

Lesley

Thanks for your replies, I'm so looking forward to this trip. India has never been on my list of places to visit until I saw The Real Marigold Hotel on BBC2 back in the winter, I knew I just had to go. I looked at quite a few tours  but JY visit where I wanted to go. I have done holidays on my own for the last couple of years but  haven't travelled with them before. Any hints or tips I'll be really pleased to receive them all. I haven't booked the add on, thought I would just try the main trip this time to see how it goes.  Anthea

sallie901
(Member)
Hi Just wanted to say hello and to let you know that i will also be on the tour in March.  Have travelled a lot on my own but never done a group tour and excited to be doing so.  I have wanted to visit India for a long time but my children never wanted to go and i didn't fancy all that organising on my own.  They are a lot older now and woudn't be seen dead on a holiday with their mother. I have been a little put off by the Delhi belly but have read loads of forum posts and this has put me at ease some what.  Really excited about it and have been walking around with a smile on my face all morning!!  Roll on March and looking forward to meeting you. 😃