Ed1978
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello everyone. My name is Ed and at the age of 38 I’m finding that my major regret in life so far is that I haven’t seen as much of the world as I would’ve liked. This is something that I really want to change. Unfortunately however, it’s been a long time since I have been abroad anywhere let alone set foot in an airport so naturally I’m a little apprehensive and the prospect of meeting a load of people in an airport departure lounge whom I’ve never met before, then jetting off to a foreign destination and staying in a hotel with them, I find very daunting!  Therefore I’m wondering if it’s possible to get to know people in advance before you take that huge step, even if it’s just a couple of members?! At least you then know who you will be travelling with!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can give!

Ed

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ed,

Welcome to JY!  I've been travelling with them since I turned 40, as like you I wanted to see more of the world.  Since then I've been on 14 tours and have travelled in Europe, North and South America, Africa, the Middle East and  South-East Asia so I've certainly been doing my best!

JY are a great company and the vast majority of their customers are friendly and good holiday company.  When you've decided which holiday you'd like to go on, start a thread with the holiday name and date in the title and hopefully some of your fellow travellers will get in contact.  However, only a minority of JY customers use the forum so don't be disappointed if you don't get a big response - you may be lucky or not.  In any case, I've found that once people meet up at the airport, everyone starts to chat and you'll quickly get to know the others and make new friends.  Whether we are single, widowed, divorced or have a partner who doesn't like to travel, you'll find that JY folks are a friendly bunch with a shared desire to see more of the world.  Hope you find a tour you'd like to do and go for it!  JY customers are mostly in their 60s and 70s but the age range is 20s - 80s and everyone mixes well.

Any questions, just ask!

Cheers,

Bob

Jellifer
(Member)
Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum! Everyone here is very friendly and there is a wealth of information on the boards here. I'm mid 30's & went on my first JY trip last year to NZ and have South Africa booked for October. There are a lot of repeat travellers which says a lot for the service that JY provides. Don't worry about traveling solo, you can do as little or as much as you like with the group. I was concerned about eating alone but oftentimes groups of us arranged to meet up and find dinner together. Meeting at the lounge was a bit daunting to begin with but everyone was so friendly we were soon having a great time.

Do you have your eye on any trips in particular?

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ed

Welcome to the world of JY travel

I echo what Bob and Jellifer say...

I have used JY since 2006 and have travelled 10 ?? Times now from Austria,Kenya Safari, many USA tours, and as far as New Zealand, Tuscany, Poland, great tours, nice people, and things to take me out of my comfort zone IE helicopter flights etc...

I am now 57, I love the varied age range, ladies do normally out number the men, very safe way to travel, my advice really look at what the tours offer, find one you fancy and then BOOK IT!!

Cindy

AMG
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ed

I've been travelling with JY for 2 years now and have been to Italy once, the US twice and I'm off to Spain in 10 days for my 4th trip. I also have my sights set on the Roof of the world trip in September next year!

I'm 37 and like you wanted to see more of the world and this is a really good way to do it. The only negative is that JY have so many amazing holidays, it's really hard to choose where to go next!

I'm sure whichever one you pick you'll have a great time and be as hooked as the rest of us 🙂

TonyW
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ed

I have been travelling with Just You since it started . Been on usually two holiday each year. Met many great people had many great tour managers. Still keep in touch many people  I have met on varies holidays. You can mix as much as you like and have alone time if you wish . You will meet many lovely fellow travellers. Take the plunge you want regret it.

TonyW

Keep travelling this it not a rehearsal

Bosuncat
(Member)
Hi Ed.

I'm 62 now, and have travelled with JY for a while.  I don't do long haul because of problems with my back and eyes, but have been to various places in Europe with JY.  My first trip with them was to Cilento Coast, and I've been since on the following holidays, Istrian Coast (twice), Costa de la Luz, Highlights of Tuscany, Dubrovnik and the Dalmatian Riviera, French/Belgium Battlefields, Slovenia and Cilento Coast (again).  :)

I am going on my first river cruise with them in November.  Imperial Cities of the Danube.  I am still deciding what to do next year. 

JY is a very safe company to travel with, people are generally friendly, and you really can do your own thing if you want to. 

If you want a quieter holiday I would certainly recommend the Escape Holidays where you are generally in one hotel, and go out places from there.

TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ed

As others have said the first trip is always a bit daunting, not knowing quite what to expect, I started in 2008 when I was 41 and have now completed 17 JY trips with my next trip to New Zealand already booked. You will be one of the younger ones on the trip, but age is never a problem and I have found that everyone mixes well and its almost always the case that the more mature travellers really help make the holiday. The ladies are braver than us men when it comes to taking the plunge and booking a JY trip so on every trip I have been on there have been more ladies, I'm just back from Borneo where we had 3 men and 16 ladies in the group with ages ranging from 30s up to 70s, we had a great time. When it comes to free time where theres the chance to take in additional atractions or where there is not an included meals the tour manager will usually suggest a meeting time and place so that nobody is left out.

Tim

PaulineD
(Member)
'TimH' wrote:

Ed

As others have said the first trip is always a bit daunting, not knowing quite what to expect, I started in 2008 when I was 41 and have now completed 17 JY trips with my next trip to New Zealand already booked.  You will be one of the younger ones on the trip, but age is never a problem and I have found that everyone mixes well and its almost always the case that the more mature travellers really help make the holiday.  The ladies are braver than us men when it comes to taking the plunge and booking a JY trip so on every trip I have been on there have been more ladies, I'm just back from Borneo where we had 3 men and 16 ladies in the group with ages ranging from 30s up to 70s, we had a great time.  When it comes to free time where theres the chance to take in additional atractions or where there is not an included meals the tour manager will usually suggest a meeting time and place so that nobody is left out.

Tim

Hi Tim,

When is your New Zealand trip?  I am going in January next year and haven't met anyone o n the website that is going yet.  I know not everyone uses the site but I was just curious!!

PaulineD

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ed

I agree with all the comments already made. All I would add is pick a destination you always wanted to visit and go ahead and book it. Life is too short so why waste time thinking? You will be very welcomed on whichever trip you decide to go on and you may find that there are one or two people on the trip who are also embarking on their first Just You experience. At the end of the day everyone is in the same boat and are out to enjoy themselves and have fun along the way. Once you have travelled with Just You, you will want to come back again and again.

Jaya

TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
'PaulineD' wrote:

'TimH' wrote:

Ed

As others have said the first trip is always a bit daunting, not knowing quite what to expect, I started in 2008 when I was 41 and have now completed 17 JY trips with my next trip to New Zealand already booked.  You will be one of the younger ones on the trip, but age is never a problem and I have found that everyone mixes well and its almost always the case that the more mature travellers really help make the holiday.  The ladies are braver than us men when it comes to taking the plunge and booking a JY trip so on every trip I have been on there have been more ladies, I'm just back from Borneo where we had 3 men and 16 ladies in the group with ages ranging from 30s up to 70s, we had a great time.  When it comes to free time where theres the chance to take in additional atractions or where there is not an included meals the tour manager will usually suggest a meeting time and place so that nobody is left out.

Tim

Hi Tim,

When is your New Zealand trip?  I am going in January next year and haven't met anyone o n the website that is going yet.  I know not everyone uses the site but I was just curious!!

PaulineD

Pauline

I'm going in November, looking forward to it as I am told its a great trip, I'm doing the Cook Islands add on

I'll post a review when I get back

Tim