KirstyK
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi all

I've been thinking about doing the inspirational china tour next year (can't afford this year!) but have never been away on my own before. I'm 28 and nervous about booking! Any advice?

Thanks

christine johnson
(Member)
'KirstyK' wrote:

Hi all

I've been thinking about doing the inspirational china tour next year (can't afford this year!) but have never been away on my own before. I'm 28 and nervous about booking! Any advice?

Thanks

I am doing my second trip on my own in October. All I can say is you are not really on your own at all, only when you want to be, and just go for it, as I had a great time. I t took me months to pluck up the courage to book, and now I wish I had done it earlier. You will have a great time.

Chris

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Kirsty

This was my first JY trip in 2010. Like you, I was extremely apprehensive and,almost turned back at Edinburgh Airport on the first leg of this trip! So glad I didn't!. This is a great trip and you very soon get to know your fellow travellers.

My advice is take a deep breath and go for it.

Lesley[/i]

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kirsty

My advice would be simply - go for it!

I've been travelling with JY for several years now and every trip is an adventure, but one where you are looked after all the way and all the stress of planning and navigating round unfamiliar places is taking care of for you.

I did the Inspirational China trip last October (if you look around the various threads on the Community site you'll find a number of useful reviews and tips from previous travellers, including myself, MikeW and Bob Gray.

China is very much a 'cultural experience'. Some aspects of it - the Forbidden City, the Wall, the Warriors and the pandas and truly incredible. Others, like the...ahem...facilities, the traffic and the pollution, are pretty challenging at times but all part of the experience.

One tip I would suggest if you are asthmatic or prone to allergies is to take plenty of extra inhalers/medication, because you will get through them much quicker than usual. Also take wet wipes, toilet paper, throat sweets and all the usual traveller meds such as Dioralyte etc.

Happy to help if you have any other questions. At 28, you will be at the younger end of the age range but on JY trips, age quickly becomes irrelevant as the group gels together. I once ended up Orca Watching off Vancouver Island with an 83 year old JYer and can honestly say it was the most fun I'd had in years!

Have an amazing time

Mandy

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
'KirstyK' wrote:

Hi all

Thanks

Hi Kirsty,

I agree with everyone else. Venturing into the unknown is a little nervous for us all but nothing ventured, nothing gained. A lot of people are nervous the first time for various reasons but i guarantee you there is no need. There are plenty of testimonials on the forum for you to peruse which should reassure you.

Thanks

Mark

Princi
(Member)
'KirstyK' wrote:

Hi all

Thanks

Hi Kirsty,

I'm a newibe also.

I've just booked my first solo trip on the Spirit of India for 08 Feb 2016.

Again like you I was very nervous about booking, then I thought to myself, You have a tour manager to meet you at the airport, guide you all the way, you have fellow travellers to dine with and chat to. If you want some alone time, most of the tours look like they have a bit of down time to either wander on your own or time at the Hotel, in the evening after dinner, I guess you can retire to your room or stay and chat with the others.

I read several threads and reviews, and have been welcomed by long standing JY customers, who have given me great tips and hints.

SO I BOOKED. Go for it,

( I get the feeling they only allow nice people to book..... said in a stage whisper)

All the best

Alex

Mick W
(Member)
Kirsty,

Like others have said you are likely to be one of the youngest on the trip but if thats not a issue to you i suggest you go for it.

If you dont you'll never know if its for you, worst case scenario what is 12 days out of your life to find out.

Mick

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kirsty

There is no need to be nervous when travelling with Just You. I would not let concerns about age put you off as everyone is welcome. If you look at the thread called 'The Wireless' on 'From Just You' tab you will see information about archived travel broadcasts. There is one which features an interview with me. Try listening to that and all your fears and nervousness will disappear! I have a link, but unfortunately it is on my work laptop. If you are unable to connect, let me know and I will give you the link - much easier as you just click on it and it takes you to all the archived broadcasts. Perhaps Monty can give you the link.

The only other thing I will add is GO FOR IT!

jaya

montypuddephatt
(Member)
Just wondering what trips people are going on and were they would recommend. This year I've done samtorini, croatia and off to amalfi coast not with just for you though.
Debbee
(Member)
'KirstyK' wrote:

Hi all

Thanks

Hi Kristy

I want to book the same trip next year too. We can be nervous newbies together

Jenny P
(Member)
'Debbee' wrote:

'KirstyK' wrote:

Hi all

Thanks

Hi Kristy

I want to book the same trip next year too. We can be nervous newbies together

Hi Kirsty

I am booked for China in April 2016 and I see there are threads for May 2016. It was my first JY holiday last Spring to Uzbekistan, The experience was wonderful, you need never be alone (unless you want to) meals are taken on large tables and everyone was so friendly. Ours was a small group (14), we only had 2 'youngsters' about your age, mostly ladies with only 2 men, but everyone mixed well.

Go for it, and enjoy!

Jenny