BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone, Malta is a destination I'd never considered until I just watched Escape to the Continent (love that programme!) whilst doing the ironing on my day off(!) - it looks stunning, with beautiful countryside and Valletta steeped in history with remarkable architecture. It's now firmly on my wish list! What have others thought of it?

Cheers,

Bob

SarahS
(Member)
I really enjoyed Malta. Some stunning scenery and very friendly people. Gozo is a must do.
SusieB
(Member)
[Hi Bob, I lived in Malta as a teenager when my Dad was in the Navy, more years ago than I like to admit! Many years later I went back on holiday there and have since been several times tho even that is sometime ago now.

It's a lovely island for which I have fond memories.

Often when people arrive for the first time they are not too keen for a day or two as it seems quite "higgledy piccaldy" initially and can't really be described as beautiful either. However it soon works it's magic on you and there is just something good about it that is hard to describe. The people are lovely and adore the British. The history is amazing, so much to be learned if you want to be it about the Knights of St. John or fast forward to WW2.

From April to November the weather is great but beware of August if you're not a sun worshipper. There aren't many beaches as such but it is possible to find some coves etc that are perfect for snorkelling etc. and a boat trip to Camino is a must.

A happy, relaxing, interesting and good fun island, I'm sure you would love it.:thumbup:

Go for it!

Regards Sue

Bosuncat
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi everyone, Malta is a destination I'd never considered until I just watched Escape to the Continent (love that programme!) whilst doing the ironing on my day off(!) - it looks stunning, with beautiful countryside and Valletta steeped in history with remarkable architecture. It's now firmly on my wish list! What have others thought of it?

Cheers,

Bob

Somewhere I have long wanted to go to Bob. I very nearly booked it instead of Istrian Coast in in September.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bob

I went many years ago, and it wasn't my cup of tea! I think Malta is like marmite, you either love it or hate it...

I know plenty of people who,like Malta...I would add I was about 12 at the time so viewing it through a child eye.

Cindy

fleurbyfleur
(Member)
...and Gozo - a beautiful and surprising island.
lesley07
(Member)
Hi

I had a holiday in Malta about 25 years ago. Like Cindy, was not really impressed. Perhaps my views were coloured by poor accommodation, over priced meals and mixed weather. I have not been interested in visiting again.

Lesley

RogertheRed
(Member)
I've been to Malta twice but not with JY. As people say you either love it or hate it. I thought it was great, steeped in history and normally very good weather. The only thing is that the old yellow buses have now been retired, no doubt down to health and safety, a shame they were wonderful.
RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bob, a friend and I went there at the beginning of September thinking that it would be cooler. Unfortunately it was at least 40c and humid. Despite that we visited all the places that we wanted to but perhaps not in as much depth as we would have liked. The day we took the cruise up the coast to Comino was the best for that sort of weather. The boat had originally been a Caledonian McBrayne ferry so I felt quite at home! We were able to swim from the boat which was just as well because of the rocky nature of that coast. Valletta, Melliaha [for the fireworks], Marsaxloxlokk [lovely fishing village] and Mdina were my favourites. I'd go back again but there are so many other places I haven't seen yet!

Rae

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Bob

I've been to Malta for a girlie spa weekend and for a walking holiday which took in Gozo. Both trips were great with superb weather. Malta is steeped in history and well worth a visit.

Having been ther twice, it's not on my radar to return as I've seen it all and there are so many other places to visit!

Enjoy.

Sylvia

BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks everyone for your comments - I am sure that on a JY tour we would see the best of the island - and Gozo too! It is still on my list for a few years down the road...

Cheers,

Bob

fleurbyfleur
(Member)
I think the comments are spot on. Love/hate! I didn't like the beach destinations - not into beaches anyway and not 'foreign' enough for me! But well worth one visit to see the Medina, the harbour and Gozo. I combined Malta with southern Sicily and that worked well. I wouldn't go back to Malta but I'm glad I went. For what it's worth, I've been to Sicily twice already and I shall go again. Sicily is one of my favourite places - beautiful.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

Malta was the first holiday abroad I went to with my two sisters. I think it was 1978 or 1979. Malta was a fairly new destination and I am sure it has changed dramatically over the years. I liked it, especially Blue Grotto and the trip to Gozo. It is steeped in history. You have to choose the time carefully as it can get very hot.

Jaya