Pauline i
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have just booked for South Africa in February and it is my first solo holiday. Have any members been on this trip and if so some comments would be welcome, and also be good to hear from anyone who is going on this trip. As it is my first solo venture I am a little apprehensive.
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pauline,

I did this amazing holiday in 2011 and have to say that South Africa remains my favourite country. It has it all, incredible scenery, great food and wine, and then there is all the wildlife on safari! No need to be nervous, you have too much to look forward to!!

Here is a link to the review that I wrote on my return; although the tour has changed a bit since then you will still see all the highlights that I saw:

http://forum.justyou.co.uk/forum/thread-26222.html 

And here is the link to the thread I put up on the Share Your Travel Tips forum about the tour:

http://forum.justyou.co.uk/thread-51732.html 

Have a fantastic time!

Best wishes,

Bob

Pauline i
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you, Bob, for your reassurance, and I have printed off your tips which I will find very useful. I have booked the docs for advice on medication and will definitely be sorting out electric adaptor, which is a must.

Thanks again.

Pauline

SusieB
(Member)
Hi Pauline

I did this tour in Oct 2013, it was my 2nd JY holiday and I have since done 2 more. Though all have been good, without doubt SA was the best.

I completely agree with all that Bob says and can assure you you will have a wonderful holiday there. If you can, do the Zambia add on too because it is well worth it.

I still meet up regularly with friends I made on that holiday and we talk often about what a fantastic and memorable hoioday it was.:thumbup:

Best wishes Sue

]

Barbs R
(Member)
Pauline, I have booked this trip and it is my first solo trip too!

It looks amazing - somewhere I have always wanted to go. Look forward to meeting you and our other fellow travellers. Barbs

Pauline i
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Sue,

I am getting more and more reassured by your comments. I have always wanted to visit South Africa. I don't think Zambia add on is now available and unfortunately I don't have enough time to do any more than two weeks. I am looking forward to meeting my fellow travellers and from what I am reading most people are friendly and come back for more Just You trips.

Best wishes and thanks.

Pauline

Pauline i
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Barbs wrote:

Pauline, I have booked this trip and it is my first solo trip too!

It looks amazing - somewhere I have always wanted to go. Look forward to meeting you and our other fellow travellers. Barbs

Well Barbs, to newbies together. I'm sure by reading all the comments that we will be made welcome and will have a fab trip.

See you in February. Pauline

soupy
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Pauline. Like you new to Just You holidays but have always dreamt of going to South Africa and as I am 50 in January 2016 decided to take the plunge. Can't wait to meet you and our fellow travellers. See you in February

Sue

Pauline i
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Not long now, Sue. Sorry I haven't replied before but been away for a little while. I must say it is good to have contact with other travellers even though it is not face to face. Looking forward to meeting you and all other members of our group in February.

Pauline

HONEY08
(Member)
:)
'Pauline wrote:

I have just booked for South Africa in February and it is my first solo holiday. Have any members been on this trip and if so some comments would be welcome, and also be good to hear from anyone who is going on this trip. As it is my first solo venture I am a little apprehensive.

Hi Pauline,

I have booked to go to S/A in Feb. It is my first solo holiday also.

I did get some advice from Bob, Derek and Jaya as they have been and am realy looking forward to going. I have met someone locally who has been on this trip last year,she assures me that I will have a good time,and not to worry about not knowing anyone,as everyone mixes well.I may be one of the oldest,being 73,but feel young at heart and feel I must go travelling while I am still able.

Looking forward to meeting you,Sue and Barbs.

Pauline i
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'HONEY08' wrote:

:)

'Pauline wrote:

Hi Pauline,

I have booked to go to S/A in Feb. It is my first solo holiday also.

I did get some advice from Bob, Derek and Jaya as they have been and am realy looking forward to going. I have met someone locally who has been on this trip last year,she assures me that I will have a good time,and not to worry about not knowing anyone,as everyone mixes well.I may be one of the oldest,being 73,but feel young at heart and feel I must go travelling while I am still able.

Looking forward to meeting you,Sue and Barbs.

Just picked up you message Honey and I am looking forward to meeting you and the others. All posts seem positive and I guess there will be a good mix of ages but age is just a number. You are as young as you feel and as you say do as much as you can while you are fit and able. Best wishes and we will meet up in February.

Scorpio lady
(Member)
I went on this trip in Feb 2014. An amazing holiday that stays with me. Everything happened that should - a rep at the airport to point me in the direction of the VIP lounge, met some fellow travellers in there, It was all very well organised and the guide that stayed with us throughout the trip was very informative and friendly. I would do it all again. Enjoy!
Pauline i
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Scorpio wrote:

I went on this trip in Feb 2014. An amazing holiday that stays with me. Everything happened that should - a rep at the airport to point me in the direction of the VIP lounge, met some fellow travellers in there, It was all very well organised and the guide that stayed with us throughout the trip was very informative and friendly. I would do it all again. Enjoy!

not long now and I am wondering what to take clothes wise. I guess it is going to be quite hot so light summery things. As you went last February, how did you find the weather and do you have any tips.

Many thanks, Pauline

Pauline i
(Member) (Topic Starter)
South Africa is looming and I have been advised to take anti malaria tabs. as visiting Kruger. Any suggestion please! Thanks Pauline i
davidj
(Member)
I went on this trip last November.

I bought generic malarone for £1.25 each. You need to see the pharmacist (no charge). I phoned for an appointment.

soupy
  • (Member)
(Member)
Pauline-getting Malaria tablets can be straight foward at ASDA or TESCO pharmacy if you don't have any other medications/conditions, that may affect taking them. If you do I suggest you see your G.P. first as you will probably need a prescription. I have gone for the generic version of malarone which you need to take the day before you leave the U.K. to 7 days after you return. Hope this helps-if you have access to the internet the fit for travel website is also helpful. On the clothes front, I a mainly taking lightweight cotton tops and trousers/capri's(don't suit shorts!) and some safari colours for Kruger(nosilife polo shirt) but if your like dresses and skirts I would stick to lightweight fabrics/wicking fabrics to keep you cool. Don't forget a hat and sunglasses. See you soon.

Sue

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi one little tip for taking Malarone - take it after food following a meal that has some fat content in it. This aids absorption and means that you are also less likely to have a sore stomach after taking it. Many people on the tours I've done have taken it after dinner, but I found it hard to remember to do that so I take it after breakfast (after indulging in a fry!).

Best wishes,

Bob

davidj
(Member)
I should have added that if you see a pharmacist you do not need a prescription. Many doctors will charge for a prescription.

You only need to take them 1 or 2 days before entering a malaria region. When I went that was Kruger and Zambia if you are going on the extension. You then need to take them for 7 days after leaving the malaria area.

Pauline i
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'davidj' wrote:

I went on this trip last November.

I bought generic malarone for £1.25 each. You need to see the pharmacist (no charge). I phoned for an appointment.

Thanks for your reply. I will sort this out in the next couple of days

Pauline i
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for you comments, Sue, all noted and I won't forget hat and sun glasses, if I can find them.!

Pauline