Jean77
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone

Well here I am again. Miss Indecisive. I still haven't booked a spring holiday because I can't decide where to go. My main problem is I live in Glasgow I can no longer be bothered with the extra expense and travelling time of connecting flights and airport hotels, especially when it's just a short hop over to Europe. One of the few holidays direct from Glasgow is Costa de la Luz. I have looked at it many times. It seems to have the right balance of excursions and free time. However I'm definitely not a lying round the pool/on the beach type of person, although i do enjoying walking along the beach. Can the many people who have done this holiday tell me if there will be enough for me to do during 'down time'? Is the local town pleasant to wander round. Is there anywhere local to take a bus to, etc.

Any help or information much appreciated.

Jean

Bosuncat
(Member)
'Jean77' wrote:

Hi everyone

Well here I am again. Miss Indecisive. I still haven't booked a spring holiday because I can't decide where to go. My main problem is I live in Glasgow I can no longer be bothered with the extra expense and travelling time of connecting flights and airport hotels, especially when it's just a short hop over to Europe. One of the few holidays direct from Glasgow is Costa de la Luz. I have looked at it many times. It seems to have the right balance of excursions and free time. However I'm definitely not a lying round the pool/on the beach type of person, although i do enjoying walking along the beach. Can the many people who have done this holiday tell me if there will be enough for me to do during 'down time'? Is the local town pleasant to wander round. Is there anywhere local to take a bus to, etc.

Jean

Hi Jean.

First of all I understand your frustration on not being able to get a more local flight. I chose this holiday last year because I could fly from Birmingham which is a lot more local to me than either Heathrow, or heaven forbid, Gatwick.

It's a good holiday, nice hotel, good food and right on the beach. Of course being all inclusive is great but I do understand your concerns about having enough to do. The nearest town is Punta Umbria which is a pleasant stroll either along the beach or by pavement. There are a few shops around the hotel which would serve for basic needs. There is also a shop within the hotel as well. As far as local buses are concerned I don't know but your TM would be able to tell you.

The excursions are good. They do one trip to Huelva which I believe (although I didn't go on it) most people used for shopping, souvenirs etc. You also have a couple of hours in Seville free for shopping etc. The trip to Tavira in Portugal is also good.

There are a lot of nice walks around the area of the hotel not just on the beach. The beach is wonderful though!!

Do you enjoy bird watching? If so an optional bird watching trip is offered with a local guide.

It's a really nice holiday.

daveJB
(Member)
Hello Jean, I don't know about local buses but the town is about a half an hour walk away

and you can get there via the beach as well as the road and there are lots of shops, cafes, banks etc

and across the road from the hotel there is a small shopping mall, also along the beach is a fenced off

wood/ nature reserve with walk ways in between.

Dave.

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Jean

I live in Motherwell and, like you, am not particularly keen to pay additional costs for connecting flights/hotels. Did this last year as I wanted to visit Apulia in Italy. My other holidays with JY have been long haul and I did not mind paying for connecting flights. Have decided to do another long haul trip this year-Kerala as I wanted a longer break which was not all that more expensive than European breaks.

I have not been to Costa de la Luz but there are many positive reviews posted.

Hope you enjoy whichever holiday you decide to book.

Lesley

Jean77
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, thanks for replies Bosuncat and Dave. Everyone seems to be very positive about this holiday. Still thinking about it.

Lesley, I come from Wishaw originally so not too far from you. I've looked at the Kerala trip a couple of times. Looks wonderful. I hope you enjoy.

Jean

suer
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jean77' wrote:

Hi, thanks for replies Bosuncat and Dave. Everyone seems to be very positive about this holiday. Still thinking about it.

Lesley, I come from Wishaw originally so not too far from you. I've looked at the Kerala trip a couple of times. Looks wonderful. I hope you enjoy.

Jean

Jean

I have booked to go to Costa de la Luz for 8th September as I have heard some great reviews on here, it will be my first time there and I am so looking forward to it. I am also not really sitting by the pool kind of person, but now and again, when I am not doing this, I like to take a stroll into the nearest town, if its nearby, which it is in Costa da la Luz and also go on the tours that are on offer. Go on take the plunge and book it, you won't be sorry.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Costa de la Luz is a lovely trip. Plenty of time to relax and enjoy the included excursions.

Jaya

Julie L
(Member)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

'Jean77' wrote:

Hi everyone

Jean

Hi Jean.

First of all I understand your frustration on not being able to get a more local flight. I chose this holiday last year because I could fly from Birmingham which is a lot more local to me than either Heathrow, or heaven forbid, Gatwick.

It's a good holiday, nice hotel, good food and right on the beach. Of course being all inclusive is great but I do understand your concerns about having enough to do. The nearest town is Punta Umbria which is a pleasant stroll either along the beach or by pavement. There are a few shops around the hotel which would serve for basic needs. There is also a shop within the hotel as well. As far as local buses are concerned I don't know but your TM would be able to tell you.

The excursions are good. They do one trip to Huelva which I believe (although I didn't go on it) most people used for shopping, souvenirs etc. You also have a couple of hours in Seville free for shopping etc. The trip to Tavira in Portugal is also good.

There are a lot of nice walks around the area of the hotel not just on the beach. The beach is wonderful though!!

Do you enjoy bird watching? If so an optional bird watching trip is offered with a local guide.

It's a really nice holiday.

Hi Jean, this is my 3rd time going to costa del la lux, it's a really good holiday, hotel,food,area and trips are fantastic. A really relaxing holiday, I've been on my first holiday here in June 2012. Have been in September 2013 but this time I'm going on the 16th June, yes it's worth going on the optional bird watching trip, it's worth every penny. But if your going take your own biniculars as there were not enough for everyone to have them. Hope this helps Julie L if you want to know anything else, please get in touch.

Carol J
(Member)
'Jean77' wrote:

Hi everyone

Jean

Hi Jean, I'm from the North East of England and I too am not prepared to put up with the inconvenience and cost of travelling to Gatwick/Heathrow. l would do it I suppose for a long-haul holiday but like you say, a lot of hassle. Normally I fly from either Newcastle or Leeds Bradford. I flew from Manchester to Italy last year for the first time and although it all went smoothly, I would much rather just jump in a taxi to a local airport.

I quite liked the look of both Costa De La Luz and Andalucia, but out of the two I would prefer the Andalucia holiday as I'm not keen on All-Inclusive. I prefer B&B as a rule but can do half-board if I must. Am looking to go at the beginning of September. The numbers will influence me though, so if there are pushing 40 travelers it's a no go for me............plenty of other options around, but just fancied Spain this year as not been for a good few years now, and mainland Spain rather than the islands for a change.

Regards, Carol