Suitsya
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, Well I scoured the brochure, decided on trip, date sorted, all set, well ish, then, find need to get to Heathrow for an unearthly hour and cold feet syndrome sets in. I know positivity should overrule but feeling apprehensive, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated...
sallyc
(Member)
Whats the worst that could happen? You find yourself on holiday with a load of people who all hate you and refuse to talk to you? The fact that you have posted your concerns on here suggests you are a person of reasonable social skills and awareness and although you may encounter one or two people who you like slightly less than the others, you would be extremely unlucky not to find a few people to get along with. The strength of a JY holiday is the people who go on them. In the main they are sociable, intelligent, interested in travel and most importantly looking to have have a good time on holiday. The worst bit is travelling to the airport on your own. Once you get there you should bump into your fellow travellers (identified by luggage labels) and from there on all your fears vanish. Better still, you may be able to get chatting on this forum to some of your fellow travellers and arrange to meet up.

It is perfectly reasonable to feel anxious about taking this step but I promise you that if you can find the courage to book it you will not only not regret it but wish you had done it years ago.

lesley07
(Member)
Hi

I live in Scotland so always have to factor in travel time to London for onward flight. My first JY holiday was to China and I managed to find my way around different terminals at Heathrow. Have done four trips since without any hitches. My advice is take a deep breath and go for it.

Lesley

SarahS
(Member)
If you really want to do it, don't be put off. Think about travelling to the airport the day before, and staying overnight. Unless you stay off airport, Heathrow hotels are very expensive, but the Premier Inn right outside Gatwick north terminal is very resonable, especially if you pay in advance. Bon voyage!
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi and Welcome,

As the others say go for it, I know people who travel from Jersey and Ireland to join a tour so you won't be the only person who has to make a journey to the airport,embrace it as part of the holiday. You will be fine, I have my 11th tour booked they are great fun you see and do so much and great people to meet...

Cindy

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi sutisya

I understand your apprehension. I hate travelling at an early hour- i am not at my finest in the morning however i promise you your holiday will be great"! Sometimes the idea of meandering a huge airport like Heathrow on your own can seem like a mountain to climb especially with the potential to get lost however having been to heathrow it's quite easy to navigate and there's always plenty of people to help! Don't let the apprehension ruin your excitement. The travelling is a small percentage of holiday time, and the rest you'll be enjoying yourself!

Which holiday have you chosen?

Mark

Suitsya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Everyone

Thanks for the encouragement, greatly appreciated. It seems that some of the tours give an option to fly from a local airport. This might be a favourable choice me-thinks, still silly O clock, but thinking it might be easier to cut out the journey to London? Decisions decisions...

S.

Suitsya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for your replies. Certainly sounds like you have all had good holidays, thats really reassuring to know. After looking through the brochure again I have spotted some tours go from regional airports, this might be a better option. Still unsure on where to choose, they all look great, Costa de la luz, the polar bear adventure, New Zealand and the Italian ones all appeal really.,

S

suer
  • (Member)
(Member)
I've booked Costa de la Luz in September, looks really nice hotela and had some good reviews. This will be my first trip there too.
davidj
(Member)
I think the decision about using a regional airport depends on what you are most nervous about. If you are confident and experienced about getting a flight to a foreign airport the local departure is a good idea, but you may not meet anyone until you reach your destination.

On the other hand I think there is a lot to be said for travelling with the main group. Once you start spotting luggage labels and meeting people your worries will fade away.

Suitsya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Suer. Will it be your first trip with Just You or have you travelled other places previously?
Bosuncat
(Member)
Hi there.

I went to Costs de la Luz last September mainly because I had the option of flying from Birmingham. I hope you enjoy yourself. :thumbup:

I do understand your fear of negotiating Heathrow at an unearthly hour but I have actually found it a fairly easy airport to find your way around. The signage is good. If I am going from either Heathrow or Gatwick I usually have to overnight which does bump the price up of course. As has been noted on different threads here for some time it's a pain especially for short European flights.

Suitsya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hiya

I have actually "Taken the Plunge" whoop whoo. Spoken to a very helpful lady who has booked my trip, if the holiday goes as well as the booking experience, I will be really happy. Excited, but a bit apprehensive, heigh ho. Nothing ventured and all that! Here I go..

S...

suer
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Suitsya' wrote:

Hi Suer. Will it be your first trip with Just You or have you travelled other places previously?

Just seen your post, no I have been on many trips with JU and enjoyed them all. Off to Costa de la Luz in September, can't wait.

suer
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Suitsya' wrote:

Hiya

I have actually "Taken the Plunge" whoop whoo. Spoken to a very helpful lady who has booked my trip, if the holiday goes as well as the booking experience, I will be really happy. Excited, but a bit apprehensive, heigh ho. Nothing ventured and all that! Here I go..

S...

So where have you opted for? Wherever you are going, I am sure you will have a fantastic time, enjoy.

Suitsya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'suer' wrote:

'Suitsya' wrote:

Hiya

S...

So where have you opted for? Wherever you are going, I am sure you will have a fantastic time, enjoy.

I have decided on the Riviera Splendour tour in September, hope the sun shines. I'm certain after reading the excellent reviews on here that I will be glad I took the plunge and booked. Time will tell...

S

suer
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Suitsya' wrote:

'suer' wrote:

'Suitsya' wrote:

Hiya

S...

I have decided on the Riviera Splendour tour in September, hope the sun shines. I'm certain after reading the excellent reviews on here that I will be glad I took the plunge and booked. Time will tell...

S

I am sure you will enjoy every minute of it, have fun and enjoy, you wont regret it