Drew
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Has anyone else on the forum booked this trip?
DavidG
(Member)
Hello Drew,

I have booked this trip - my 14th with JY! Should be interesting.

Lucinda
(Member)
I went last year, it was fantastic
Drew
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Lucinda, good to hear it was a great trip. Any tips on what to pack as from the description and what I was told when I booked, there is a gala dinner on NYE followed by a trip around the bonfires. Presumably you don't just sit on a coach, you are out and about, hence my question about what to wear.

David, it's my first time with JY, although I've been with other singles companies and have travelled with JY partner company Travelsphere in the past. I'm looking forward to escaping after the Xmas rush.

Lucinda
(Member)
'Drew' wrote:

Hi Lucinda, good to hear it was a great trip. Any tips on what to pack as from the description and what I was told when I booked, there is a gala dinner on NYE followed by a trip around the bonfires. Presumably you don't just sit on a coach, you are out and about, hence my question about what to wear.

David, it's my first time with JY, although I've been with other singles companies and have travelled with JY partner company Travelsphere in the past. I'm looking forward to escaping after the Xmas rush.

Hi Drew

With regards the gala diner evening, you get taken to the restaurant by coach and you can take a bag with extra stuff to put on. I took thermals, boots, coat, scarf, hat and gloves to put on. So I would suggest taking layers that you can put on over your 'evening outfit'. I think we had starter and main and then headed out for the bonfires. We were taken by coach again to the site, where you do get out and wander up to the bonfire, we also went to see Yoko's light for John Lennon. Then back to the restaurant for dessert. For the fireworks we went out onto the balcony and it was absolutely amazing as it went on for so long all across the city -about an hour! Then you could go in and enjoy the music. You could stay as long as you wanted as all coaches went back to all the hotels of the guests in the restaurant so everyone could leave when they wanted. The only downside was we then went rather early to the blue lagoon on New Years day! But we did see the sunrise whilst in the lagoon so pretty worth the early morning! Have a good time. Just ask if there's anything else you want to know, and I'll try and remember!

Lucinda

JYJames
(Member)
Drew & David G- We have some good news for you both and any other customers who book on this tour.

On New year’s day we have been able to secure a reservation for the group at the famous Hereford steakhouse which gets excellent reviews online as one of the best places to eat in the whole of Iceland. I am sure that this will be a nice way to round off an excellent holiday. More details of this will be included in your final documents

Drew
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Lucinda' wrote:

'Drew' wrote:

Hi Drew

With regards the gala diner evening, you get taken to the restaurant by coach and you can take a bag with extra stuff to put on. I took thermals, boots, coat, scarf, hat and gloves to put on. So I would suggest taking layers that you can put on over your 'evening outfit'. I think we had starter and main and then headed out for the bonfires. We were taken by coach again to the site, where you do get out and wander up to the bonfire, we also went to see Yoko's light for John Lennon. Then back to the restaurant for dessert. For the fireworks we went out onto the balcony and it was absolutely amazing as it went on for so long all across the city -about an hour! Then you could go in and enjoy the music. You could stay as long as you wanted as all coaches went back to all the hotels of the guests in the restaurant so everyone could leave when they wanted. The only downside was we then went rather early to the blue lagoon on New Years day! But we did see the sunrise whilst in the lagoon so pretty worth the early morning! Have a good time. Just ask if there's anything else you want to know, and I'll try and remember!

Lucinda

Hi Lucinda, thanks for your reply, that's a great help with planning what to wear. It sounds amazing and very memorable. If I think of anything else I'll send you a message. Thanks

DavidG
(Member)
Thanks Lucinda, sounds better and better, I was undecided between Christmas and New Year. I have pre-booked the optional excursions, so can you please give me an idea of how much money to take as I have heard that Iceland is expensive.

Many thanks.

maglynn
(Member)
Hi all,

I was delighted to see these posts a I have booked for Iceland at New Year and have no information at all............glad the wardrobe dilemma is (almost) sorted as I believe it will be very cold so bringing a few layers in a bag on NYE , and perhaps boots, sounds like a solution!

Did anyone give advice on how much local currency to bring??

I just hope those volcanoes stay nice and quiet over the few days until we get there and home again....

Marie

Lucinda
(Member)
When I went Iceland had a closed currency. I changed some money in the hotel but mainly used my post office credit card so infant left with cash.

Alcohol was expensive-if I remember right the bottle of wine I bought (for a few us to share) was more expensive than my meal! We often had lunch at the hotel which was expensive-I think about £10-15 for a sandwich and chips type of thing. The evening meals we had were very nice, but I can't remember how much they were, but more expensive than here. I would suggest you just change a small amount of money and go back for more from the hotel as you need it. Sorry I can't help more!

On New Years eve, once I'd put my extra layers on and boots, I didn't take them off! I was a little warm in the restaurant but it was perfect for outside on the balcony!

PeterG
(Member)
I was on the Iceland trip last New Year and it wasn't particularly cold, just above freezing in the daytime. There was a fair bit of ice on the ground and I found that the ice gripper things I had for my boots were well worth it, especially round Gulfoss where there was sheet ice everywhere. Meant I could walk anywhere without worrying about slipping and falling over or finding something to hang on to!
maglynn
(Member)
'Lucinda' wrote:

When I went Iceland had a closed currency. I changed some money in the hotel but mainly used my post office credit card so infant left with cash.

Alcohol was expensive-if I remember right the bottle of wine I bought (for a few us to share) was more expensive than my meal! We often had lunch at the hotel which was expensive-I think about £10-15 for a sandwich and chips type of thing. The evening meals we had were very nice, but I can't remember how much they were, but more expensive than here. I would suggest you just change a small amount of money and go back for more from the hotel as you need it. Sorry I can't help more!

On New Years eve, once I'd put my extra layers on and boots, I didn't take them off! I was a little warm in the restaurant but it was perfect for outside on the balcony!

Many thanks for all that helpful information, Lucinda, both about the currency and the clothes. Also thank you, Peter, for the advice re grippers for boots - I have some (somewhere!) from our last bout of snow so I hope to unearth them and bring them along.

Marie

Lucinda
(Member)
Another thing I would suggest taking is lighter clothing for when you are in the hotel for breakfast. I found the hotel very hot n had only taken cold weather clothing!
RosieMo
(Member)
IIRC, the Icelandic Govt "closed" the currency when they had all that problem with their banking system. I went there in Feb 2014 and I got Krona here before I left, no problem.

It is jolly expensive though.

RM