Michelle66
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi ,

It would be great to hear from anyone going on this trip.

I have a couple of questions :

1) currency - whether to take dollars or stirling?

2) evening temperatures - do we need to take warm clothes for the evening?

Can anyone advise or if not it would be good to hear back from a fellow traveller anyhow. :)

Michelle

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Michelle

I have not done this trip, but can tell you that both Sterling or Dollars is okay. I would suggest you take a lightweight jacket or fleece or shawl for the evenings and early mornings as it will be a little bit cooler.

Have a fantastic time.

Jaya

chairman1964
(Member)
'Michelle66' wrote:

Hi ,

Can anyone advise or if not it would be good to hear back from a fellow traveller anyhow. :)

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

i am on the tour too. this is my second Just You holiday having done Peru last year.

Mark

Dyuti
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Michelle66' wrote:

Hi ,

Michelle

Whenever I go to India to visit the family, I use my debit card to get the Rupees (Rs) out of a hole in the wall. Most sightseeing places and shops accept the credit/debit cards.

Dyuti

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Michelle,

You can change money in the hotels so it doesn't matter if you take dollars or sterling! This is a fantastic tour, with so many different experiences. I hope you have a great time!

Cheers,

Bob

lesley07
(Member)
Hi

I did this trip in October 2012. I took sterling and was able to get some rupees at the currency exchange in Delhi airport. Hotels also exchanged at a good rate. If you need to use ATM it is slightly different. Found that you should insert card and then withdraw it in order to complete transaction.

I took a light weight fleece but found I did not need it as temperatures were fine early morning and evening.

Hope this helps and have a great time in this fascinating country.

Lesley

Michelle66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Michelle

I have not done this trip, but can tell you that both Sterling or Dollars is okay. I would suggest you take a lightweight jacket or fleece or shawl for the evenings and early mornings as it will be a little bit cooler.

Have a fantastic time.

Jaya

Thank you Jaya for taking the time to respond.

Kind Regards

Michelle

Michelle66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'chairman1964' wrote:

'Michelle66' wrote:

Hi ,

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

i am on the tour too. this is my second Just You holiday having done Peru last year.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Great to hear from you, a fellow traveller. Do you live in the South- East? Would you be interested in meeting up at Heathrow?

Kind Regards,

Michelle

PS started to get excited about the holiday:)

Michelle66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Dyuti' wrote:

'Michelle66' wrote:

Hi ,

Michelle

Whenever I go to India to visit the family, I use my debit card to get the Rupees (Rs) out of a hole in the wall. Most sightseeing places and shops accept the credit/debit cards.

Dyuti

Thank you Dyuti for taking the time to respond to my query.:)

Michelle66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Michelle,

You can change money in the hotels so it doesn't matter if you take dollars or sterling! This is a fantastic tour, with so many different experiences. I hope you have a great time!

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks Bob, do you mind me asking how much money roughly you need to take? I prefer to take more than less.

Also any tips on eating? I will be avoiding anything uncooked like salads and fruit.

Kind Regards

Michelle

Michelle66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi

I did this trip in October 2012. I took sterling and was able to get some rupees at the currency exchange in Delhi airport. Hotels also exchanged at a good rate. If you need to use ATM it is slightly different. Found that you should insert card and then withdraw it in order to complete transaction.

I took a light weight fleece but found I did not need it as temperatures were fine early morning and evening.

Hope this helps and have a great time in this fascinating country.

Lesley

Hi Lesley

Thank you for taking the time to respond. One further question - did you wear long sleeve tops and trousers in the evening to avoid the mossies or are you able to wear short sleeve tops and skirts?

Kind Regards

Michelle

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Michelle,

As far as I remember this holiday is half board with some lunches included as well, so you don't need much spending money - I always pre-book all the excursions I can, to cut down the need to bring extra money with me. I would say around £500 would be plenty. Be sure to let your credit card company and bank know you are travelling there, so you can use your cards while you are away.

I had an upset stomach for a day, but wasn't too bad. I've learned the reason for this is not badly prepared food or poor hygiene but just that the food abroad contains different bacteria to the food at home and depending on your own system you may or may not react to this. I was fine on the Chile, Argentina and Brazil tour but had a mild stomach upset for much of the Costa Rica one! On our India tour, the one vegetarian in the group was the first one to feel unwell! I suggest you take a pro-biotic such as Boots Digestion Support Travel pills - I find them helpful.

Don't worry about covering up to avoid mossies, they can bite through clothes anyhow! Just make sure you cover yourself liberally in DEET (50%) and you should be ok. Having said that, I don't think I saw a single mossie when I was in India.

Have a brilliant holiday!

Cheers,

Bob

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Michelle

I wore tops and trousers or maxi dresses at night. Had no bites at all!

I have diverticulitis and have to watch what I eat. I had no food problems whatsoever. Most hotels, apart from one at Rathambore, offered alternatives to spicy food.

Lesley

SarahS
(Member)
I travelled to india last year with a friend who developed a tummy upset. A pharmacist staying in the hotel recommended getting medication, from the local pharmacy, as they have remedies to combat the most common local bugs. It was good advice. The medication we bought was much more effective than the imodium we brought from home. I took sterling travellers cheques and changed them in the hotels as needed.
Michelle66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Is anyone interested in meeting up at Heathrow to travel together? If so let me know.

Regards

Michelle

Michelle66
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Not long now! Anyone going on this trip fancy meeting up at Heathrow to travel together??

It would be nice to meet up before Delhi and have some company on the flight.:)

Regards

Michelle