Emmard
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Wow, just booked my first ever solo adventure and am so excited (as long as I don't think about the inoculations :s). Would love to hear from anyone else booked on the same trip.

Emma.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Emma,

I'm off on this tour next month, it should be a fantastic experience! Don't worry about the vaccinations, I've had loads over the last few years with no side effects or problems so I'm sure you'll be grand. Hope you have a brilliant time!

Cheers,

Bob

Emmard
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Bob. I mentioned inoculations to a friend who is going to China with Exodus in November and she's not having any jabs. Russian roulette! Luckily for me my paranoia outweighs any phobia of needles.

I'm really grateful for the reviews on here - it really helps put your mind at rest of any concerns you might have as a newbie.

Have fun Bob!

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Emma,

A few people have recently written great reviews of this tour, so I'm really looking forward to it. I'll write one up as well when I get back!

Cheers,

Bob

Alison K
(Member)
Hi Emma

I've just booked Inspirational China for Christmas as well so that's at least two of us going! Ditto to you this is my first solo foreign holiday experience and looking forward to it. 🙂 Have you been to China before?

Regards

Alison

DebbieWs
(Member)
'Alison wrote:

Hi Emma

I've just booked Inspirational China for Christmas as well so that's at least two of us going! Ditto to you this is my first solo foreign holiday experience and looking forward to it. 🙂 Have you been to China before?

Regards

Alison

Hi Alison,

I am also booked on this trip & cannot believe how fast it is coming around. Don't forget on your visa application even if you have no immediate family you have to enter someone on there even if they are deceased! anyway I look forward to meeting you on Christmas eve :)

Cheers

Debbie

Emmard
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Alison and Debbie

Got my visa last week so it definitely feels more real now. Never been to China before and am really looking forward to it!

I also called JY the other day and there are 10 of us in the group.

Just need to get over Wednesday this week as I'm having my

inoculations then - yikes.

44 days to go :thumbup:

Em.

Alison K
(Member)
Hi Emma & Debbie

Glad to hear from you both. I was in China five years ago and you will love it (apart from the public toilets which leave a lot to be desired unless they have improved drastically). Chinese food from a takeaway will never be the same again. If you are not sure about using chopsticks put set of cutlery in your hold luggage - some restaurants (or hotels) only use chopsticks. Hope the inoculations go okay with you on Wednesday Emma.

Regards

Alison

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Emma and Debbie,

I was on this tour in Sept and the toilets have improved a lot over the last few years - you will come across the occasional "squattie" but an ever increasing amount of them are western style. Also we were offered a fork at all meals, so no need to bring cutlery if you don't want to use chopsticks!

Best wishes,

Bob

DebbieWs
(Member)
'Alison wrote:

Hi Emma & Debbie

Glad to hear from you both. I was in China five years ago and you will love it (apart from the public toilets which leave a lot to be desired unless they have improved drastically). Chinese food from a takeaway will never be the same again. If you are not sure about using chopsticks put set of cutlery in your hold luggage - some restaurants (or hotels) only use chopsticks. Hope the inoculations go okay with you on Wednesday Emma.

Regards

Alison

Hi Alison

The chopsticks don't worry me but I must confess I am worried about "double dipping" 😃 it's the one thing I have a thing about, you see it all the time, they pick up food they dip they bite & then they dip again it just makes me go ew , so I guess I will have to bring a little pot and get some sauce before anyone has double dipped :thumbup:

Anyway I look forward to meeting you at the airport Christmas eve maybe we should all wear a festive jumper;)

cheers

Debbie

SarahS
(Member)
I had a wonderful time in China last year. I don't do chopsticks, but was alway to have a fork on request. The only problem for me was the "lazy susan" style of service. Everybody serviing themselves with the same chopsticks/fork they used for eating. Also a certain amount of pigginess from some members of the group. Perhaps JY could sort out the serving problem, and issue some sort of guidance on eating etiquette.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Perhaps a good idea to request the restaurants/hotels to put serving spoons in all the dishes and this way people will not have to use their used chopsticks/forks. You will always find some 'pigginess' on holidays! I too would be reluctant to have anything where people serve themselves with their used chopsticks/forks. People licking their fingers whilst helping themselves to buffetts also put me off!!

Regards

Jaya

Emmard
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Pleased to announce that my jabs didn't hurt a bit!! You were right, Bob, thanks. That's a thing ticked off my list which I was truly dreading!!

Double dipping really doesn't worry me Debbie, hadn't entered my mind either. Chop sticks are ok depending on how much I've had to drink 😉 However, I will be bringing enough toilet paper to service the lot of us...that's one of my things!!

41 days to go according to my app :cool:

DebbieWs
(Member)
'Emmard' wrote:

Pleased to announce that my jabs didn't hurt a bit!! You were right, Bob, thanks. That's a thing ticked off my list which I was truly dreading!!

Double dipping really doesn't worry me Debbie, hadn't entered my mind either. Chop sticks are ok depending on how much I've had to drink 😉 However, I will be bringing enough toilet paper to service the lot of us...that's one of my things!!

41 days to go according to my app :cool:

Hi Emma,

vive la difference as they say :thumbup: but I honestly do not want to be swallowing a strangers saliva. The Chinese use the same chopsticks but if you watch them they actually turn them around so they aren't using the same end that has been in their mouth. I am certainly not going to make a song and dance about it though 😃 41 days? goodness time flies:exclamation:

Debbie

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Debbie,

You are worrying about nothing! At all restaurants, the dishes on the lazy susan came with serving spoons, so there was no "double dipping!" If by chance one dish didn't have a spoon, it was easy to ask the waiter for one. No big deal!! I hope you have a great holiday.

Best wishes,

Bob

DebbieWs
(Member)
Hi Bob,

Like I said, I am not going to make a song & dance about it, but we all have different concerns and that is/was mine.

Debbie