stevmag
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Bit of help please. Route 66 Tour. On day12 we visit the Grand Canyon then on day 13, whilst in Las Vegas there are various excursions to the Grand Canyon. Can anyone tell me how long is spent at 'The Canyon' on day 12. I visited it while on the JY Canyons tour a few years back and my first view of the Canyon was from a helicopter. We then spent a couple of hours on the rim, Does the same thing happen on the Route 66 tour or is it a quick visit to the canyon itself. What I mean is does one have the choice of doing the helicopter flight first? Then on day 13 is it worth missing most of the day in Las Vegas to go back to the same place you were at the day before? Last time, in Las Vegas, I spent the spare day wandering the 'strip' and popping in and out of hotels etc. Really loved that and would like to do it again. Think that makes sense. Just need to make my mind up as to excursions

Steve

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Steve,

I'm sure past travellers will share their thoughts on this but I've just had the team clarify the itinerary for Day 12:

Day 12 is spent travelling between Flagstaff and Las Vegas via the South Rim of the Canyon and a stop at Bright Angel Lodge. You will depart from your Flagstaff hotel at 8am taking in views and photo stops of the Canyon. Lunch stop in the Canyon at Bright Angel Lodge and then off to Vegas with a late afternoon arrival.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
'stevmag' wrote:

Bit of help please. Route 66 Tour. On day12 we visit the Grand Canyon then on day 13, whilst in Las Vegas there are various excursions to the Grand Canyon. Can anyone tell me how long is spent at 'The Canyon' on day 12. I visited it while on the JY Canyons tour a few years back and my first view of the Canyon was from a helicopter. We then spent a couple of hours on the rim, Does the same thing happen on the Route 66 tour or is it a quick visit to the canyon itself. What I mean is does one have the choice of doing the helicopter flight first? Then on day 13 is it worth missing most of the day in Las Vegas to go back to the same place you were at the day before? Last time, in Las Vegas, I spent the spare day wandering the 'strip' and popping in and out of hotels etc. Really loved that and would like to do it again. Think that makes sense. Just need to make my mind up as to excursions

Steve

Steve,

I did the holiday two years ago and they have tweaked the holiday since as we didn't stay in Vegas.

We did however drive around the South Rim and it involves stopping at various view points including a lunch stop.

Mick

SteveW
  • (Member)
(Member)
I did the Route 66 tour 2 years ago and the itinerary has changed a bit, we stopped in Kingman instead of Las Vegas and never went into Vegas. On our tour we left Flagstaff and travelled up to Cameron (about 50 miles) and stopped at a Navajo? Souvenir Shop and Cafe this is at an area called the little grand canyon as I remember. From there we went in to the grand canyon park and stopped at various points along the southern rim, the watchtower and at grand canyon village for lunch. We then travelled on to Kingman stopping off at Seligman on the way, Kingman looks to be about a hours drive from Vegas.

Having been to Vegas a few times I guess the trips to the canyon will be to the western rim with the skywalk. You can fly there from Boulder City airport about half a hour away from Vegas and the flight on a small prop plane takes about half a hour. Also done it on a coach and the drive takes about 4 hours with about 10 miles of it off road. The plane lands on an airstrip at the side of the canyon and the local native indians Hualapi? have set up some facilities there a wild west town, indian settlement, the skywalk, and the wreck of an old bird guano mining facility. The canyon itself in this area is not as scenic as the southern rim in my opinion but eagle point is good.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve