nixon
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Those that have done Niagra Falls, I might not have time to do both the helo and boat excursion,:@ so if anybody has done them what's you choice.:D

people talk about the boat tour saying how good that is, I am not a lover of water but would go out of my comfort zone, but then again I think the helo would give spectacular views? :thumbup:

Any advice from you all would be much appreciated.:dodgy:

Cindy:angel:

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Cindy

I did the boat trip last year. It is worth doing as you get very close to the Falls. Only two or three people on our tour did the helicopter flight and loved it. We had the opportunity to have dinner at the Sheraton. Dining room is at the top and the viewing area gave spectacular views above the Falls. Not sure if this helps but enjoy whichever option you choose.

Lesley

nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'lesley07' wrote:

Hi Cindy

I did the boat trip last year. It is worth doing as you get very close to the Falls. Only two or three people on our tour did the helicopter flight and loved it. We had the opportunity to have dinner at the Sheraton. Dining room is at the top and the viewing area gave spectacular views above the Falls. Not sure if this helps but enjoy whichever option you choose.

Lesley

Thanks Lesley....

Cindy

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy

I was lucky and we were able to do both on the same day on my trip, but if you have to choose, I would recommend the helicopter. It's a brilliant adventure - especially if you are travelling alone because they tend to put the couples in the back and the singles get to ride up with the pilot and have a superb clear view for photos. (It also helped that our pilot was the spitting image of Adam Levine from Maroon 5 but....moving swiftly on....)

The Maid of the Mist is fun but ironically, because of the mist, you won't see much when you are up close to the falls. You get to wear the famous blue ponchos but trust me, you will still get really wet (I suggest taking one of those disposable waterproof camaras rather than risk getting your normal camara wet - that's what I did)

I hope they manage to fix it so that you can do both but either way, you'll have a great day out (don't forget to try the Ice Wine while you are there).

My tour covered most of the places you are going (except Boston) so, if you've got any other questions, happy to help.

Have a super time

Mandy

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Cindy

I did the boat a few years ago very spectacular you really do get close and get very wet but they give you pocho's to wear which you keep nice souvenir with maid of the mist on which I still have, it's over very quickly as the boat turns round but you can always stand back from the spray, we were going to do the helicopter also but it wasn't running that morning due to low cloud, maybe you'll have time to do both, we were on the Canadian side but walked across the bridge to the American side much more to see over there but the town on Niagara is worth seeing if you did it in reverse time permitting of course, in my view you can do helicopter flights anywhere in the world and could even get similar views from the tower, funny enough that afternoon when the choppers were back out we watched them and thought they don't seem to be getting that close and were soon turning round and heading back, the choppers are expensive whilst the boat was around the £15 - £20 mark from my memory

whichever i'm sure you'll enjoy

Dave

ElsieT
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy.

Several years ago I visited Niagara Falls and did both the boat and the helicopter.

If I had to choose I would pick the heli ride I found the views fantastic.

Hope this helps.

Elsie

SarahS
  • (Member)
(Member)
I will have the same decision to make on the 29 September departure. I think it will very much depend on the weather on the day. I was lucky enough to do a heli flight over Victoria falls earlier this year on a very clear day. SPECTACULAR. Before I finally decide, I shall need to know the chances of getting a window seat. Some helicopters have a middle back seat. I have never had to sit there, but views would be restricted when window passengers are using cameras , I don't want some very expensive pictures of other peoples' heads.
JimS
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy,

I did both the helicopter ride and the Maid of the Mist. I was slightly disappointed with the helicopter ride as the pilot seemed to favour those sitting on the left side and I was seated on the right and don't think I got as good a view. It was still a good trip but I think the Maid of the Mist trip was better. We got up quite close to the falls and when the boat disappeared into the water spray it was quite an experience. As mentioned previously you do get a plastic poncho to wear but you still get wet! If you don't have a waterproof camera you can always put your camera in a clear plastic bag.

Regds

Jim

rosehoward
(Member)
Another point of view - I did a similar visit to Niagara with JU some years ago and there was time to do the boat trip in the morning ,huge buffet lunch at the Sheraton (with loads of creamy desserts) and the heli in the afternoon.All three were optional. I personally dont like scary rides and was in fact the only person who didnt do the rides, everyone else did them both. I enjoy just taking in the views with my feet on terra firma clutching a cuppa - but that is me! My friend did both, as well as the lunch, and didnt enjoy the heli as she was on the wrong side or sitting facing the rear or something like that. My advice is not to have the lunch if you are then doing the heli - she looked green! Whatever you do, enjoy!
nixon
(Member) (Topic Starter)
To you all,

thank you so much for all your replays and I shall take onboard all that has been said, I have done a few helo flights now, and as you can't choose where you sit (we all want a window seat) I do know you can end up spending good money and not getting THE SHOT that you want, also some flight are a very short time in the air. I do feel that if there is the time I would most probably end up doing them both as I am not going to be passing this way again, if not I think the boat ride will win in the end as it's the memory I have always heard people go on about.

Thank you

Cindy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy

I have done the 'Maid of the Mist' ride and it was lovely despite getting a bit wet. Ice Wine is lovely. I am not a wine drinker, but give me Ice Wine anytime! I did not get a chance to try in while we were in Toronto, but one of the Canadian managers working for a company I used to work for, brought me a bottle and it was delicious. The wine is not cheap, but worth the price.

Jaya