photoman
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Never been to the US!

Never been anywhere with Just You!!

Any tips or advice would be gratefully received!!!

Thanks, Photoman

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Well a warm welcome to you Photoman

I have been on many USA tours with JY but not the one your going on. The ones I have been on are full on can be early starts and out for most of the day, to come back to hotel quick wash and brush up have a meal out and then relax for an hour or two. You do see and do so much along the way that's why I like them, great opportunity for taking pictures as well. If there are any extra excursions if your bank balance allows try and do them, also the tour manager sometimes has other things planned so there could be more on offer than in the brochure. Put your JY labels kn your hand luggage as that quite often is the ice breaker people seeing the labels, if you have the use of a lounge from JY in the terminal most people meet in there, if not don't worry you will meet up with people along the way.

if you have any other questions just ask.

Cindy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I did this tour last Sept and put up a review in the Reviews section - have a look at it and hopefully it will answer most of your questions! This is a hectic but fantastic tour and I enjoyed it so much I may very well do it again one day!

Enjoy,

Bob

photoman
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Many thanks to both Nixon and Travel Junkie for making contact!

I will certainly read reviews in the near future and I am sure I will have plenty of questions soon!!

Thanks, Photoman

MissBookay
(Member)
Hi Photoman

I'm booked on the October trip myself and am very much looking forward to it - I've started several threads about but only got views and no replies - so it's nice to see I may not be the only person now going???

The reviews I read before booking sealed the deal for me.

MissBookay
(Member)
Sorry; just seen your other thread and you're booked on a different date to me.. Sorry to gate crash this one 🙂
geoffreyrivett
(Member)
I am going on the Manchester departure on 7 October, because it is old territory for me. For a dozen years I had a second home in Arizona and just loved it. Half the tour will be old territory for me, half new. But the scenery is stunning, and the weather should be lovely. Ideally I would have gone from Heathrow but that tour is full. It would be good to know if any others (and thirty are so far booked) are on this trip. As an old AZ person I could probably answer a lot of questions if people were unsure of how it might be

Geoffrey Rivett

DaveT1946
(Member)
I am also on this Manchester departure. I've now paid and started the countdown.

Dave.

photoman
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'geoffreyrivett' wrote:

I am going on the Manchester departure on 7 October, because it is old territory for me. For a dozen years I had a second home in Arizona and just loved it. Half the tour will be old territory for me, half new. But the scenery is stunning, and the weather should be lovely. Ideally I would have gone from Heathrow but that tour is full. It would be good to know if any others (and thirty are so far booked) are on this trip. As an old AZ person I could probably answer a lot of questions if people were unsure of how it might be

Geoffrey Rivett

Sorry about the late reply Geoffrey!

You sound like a great bloke to get to know!!

From what I have seen in a number of posts about this holiday, not all in this thread either, some are suggesting warm clothes for visiting the more northern states. Being a raw beginner to the US I find this hard to believe given that they are much further south than Britain! What do you think?

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
'photoman' wrote:

'geoffreyrivett' wrote:

Geoffrey Rivett

From what I have seen in a number of posts about this holiday, not all in this thread either, some are suggesting warm clothes for visiting the more northern states. Being a raw beginner to the US I find this hard to believe given that they are much further south than Britain! What do you think?

Definately be cold in the northern part of your trip. Did this holiday late september/early October and we just got through Yellowstone before the early snows started (believe a travelsphere group a couple of days behind us got held up with the snow).

Monument Valley apparently was in the 80's day either side of our visit but was down at almost freezing when we got there. We got a few laughs off the local indians when a couple of us turned up in shorts.

Suggest you prepare for everything,you will get the full range of tempretures on your trip.

Free Bird
(Member)
I am going on the Manchester departure on the 7th October and am really looking forward to it. It'll be my first with JY.

I've been to the USA several times including some spots on this trip - Las Vegas, Salt Lake City and the Grand Canyon but I have no problem seeing them again.

Ian

geoffreyrivett
(Member)
'photoman' wrote:

'geoffreyrivett' wrote:

Geoffrey Rivett

The amazing thing about this area is that the altitude can go from 300 feet to 1100! So you can be so high that it is hard to walk briskly and it is cold, or so hot that a short sleeved shirt and chinos is too much. Casual is the scheme, comfortable shoes an absolute must, layered clothing a good idea - e.g. Grand Canyon is high and it can show (though it won't at this time) and you will boil a few hours later. The US is made for travelers so expect long drives to get from one place to another - 5 or 6 hours. Breakfasts are very early, the motels at which we stay seldom have a restaurant but in some instances there will be possibilities for dinner at an easy walk, but in other places it will be burgers although there are often Italian or Mexican restaurants. But you are going for scenery in Spades, and not fine dining. Credit cards of course work in most places but always have 3 ways of paying a bill! I reckon we will spend $40-50 a day on expenses. This is the south west, and if you have a US drivers license Walmart will sell you a gun. Don't fool with the law; they do not have a sense of humour. Exploring is fun but there are often no-go areas. Violence is American as Blueberry Pie. (J E Cleaver).

But it will be great great fun.

Geoffrey

photoman
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'geoffreyrivett' wrote:

'photoman' wrote:

'geoffreyrivett' wrote:

Geoffrey Rivett

The amazing thing about this area is that the altitude can go from 300 feet to 1100! So you can be so high that it is hard to walk briskly and it is cold, or so hot that a short sleeved shirt and chinos is too much. Casual is the scheme, comfortable shoes an absolute must, layered clothing a good idea - e.g. Grand Canyon is high and it can show (though it won't at this time) and you will boil a few hours later. The US is made for travelers so expect long drives to get from one place to another - 5 or 6 hours. Breakfasts are very early, the motels at which we stay seldom have a restaurant but in some instances there will be possibilities for dinner at an easy walk, but in other places it will be burgers although there are often Italian or Mexican restaurants. But you are going for scenery in Spades, and not fine dining. Credit cards of course work in most places but always have 3 ways of paying a bill! I reckon we will spend $40-50 a day on expenses. This is the south west, and if you have a US drivers license Walmart will sell you a gun. Don't fool with the law; they do not have a sense of humour. Exploring is fun but there are often no-go areas. Violence is American as Blueberry Pie. (J E Cleaver).

But it will be great great fun.

Geoffrey

I very much appreciate your detailed reply Geoffrey! Being a raw beginner to the US I was surprised at your expenses predictions!! If the scenery is as good as you say I will not be that worried about not indulging in fine dining as it was the prospect of majestic and magnificent scenery that attracted me to this holiday. Ready now bar the packing, look forward to meeting you!

Photoman