Suzanne65
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Any one going on this trip on 24 June? Looks good and am looking forward to the opera!
janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Went on this trip 3 years ago and had a great time. The opera was Aida, have wanted to see this for so long. On my bucket list was, Italy, Venice, gondola, Aida- all ticked.

You will have so much fun, enjoy :thumbup:

Jan.

Joan Smith
(Member)
'Suzanne65' wrote:

Any one going on this trip on 24 June? Looks good and am looking forward to the opera!

Yes, I,m going, it,s getting close now,nearly packed, but oh, what to wear at the opera?

Joan Smith
(Member)
Yes, really looking forward to the trip.

Joan

Joan Smith
(Member)
It was me not knowing what to wear, have to get used to webb site forum.

Are you staying the night before near airport.

Joan

rosehoward
(Member)
Lucky you - I went last year and had a great time, although I see it is a different hotel this season.

It was very hot during our visit and although most of the ladies dressed up somewhat for the opera, I didnt. Comfort was the way to go for me.

I would say dress as you would if you were going to a sports event.

I didnt upgrade and sat on the steps. They were boiling hot! Wore my coolest trousers and top. For what it is worth, if you are sitting on the steps I would suggest that when you go up the stairs to the arena, dont go to the rows behind you. There are about two rows in front of the walkway that you are standing on. If you sit on the nearest row, you have somewhere to rest your back without anyone;s legs in your way. I had bought a camping type blow up seat cushion which was good for my back.

I looked up a lot online report s and instead of buying the cheap blow up cushions on sale outside the arena, I hired one of the more solid ones that were on hire inside. They are much more comfortable (in my view) and you dont slide off them like the others.

I noticed that many of the Italian(older) ladies took off their shoes and put on mules or slippers. If you have binoculars, take them as it is fun watching the smarter people arriving later with some gorgeous clothes because you have a long time beforehand just sitting there. I honestly didnt think it worth the money to upgrade - a matter of choice of course. If you do, you have a numbered seat so you can go and have a meal beforehand which we couldnt. Anything else, let me know, although of course all these things are a matter of opinion.

Suzanne65
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Joan wrote:

'Suzanne65' wrote:

Yes, I,m going, it,s getting close now,nearly packed, but oh, what to wear at the opera?

I am not packed yet but have made a list and made a few necessary purchases - especially the insect repellent and a hat! From what I have read smartish but comfortable is the best for the opera as it lasts a while, does not start until late (finishing after midnight) and there is quite a climb up to the steps/seats. I hope we will be given more advice on this! Am excited but nervous about the trip; just the second trip with JY, which I did enjoy very much! See you there on 24th!!

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Joan,

We wore smart dresses, no heels as the steps are old stone and very worn. Late at night be careful as there are no lights and can be dangerous. Also lost one lady who got on the wrong tour bus and wondered why she didn't recognise anyone 😛 Take note of bus number. Cushion for your bottom is a must. They gave us a little pack with a candle which I still have, no smokers among us with a lighter :thumbup:

Jan.

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Suzanne/Joan- im going on this trip on 22nd July- cannot wait! Dont forget to write a review upon your return!

Mark