Kezzer46
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a prepaid card for when I go to the states in September and wondered if anyone who uses one of these cards, could give me advice on the pros/cons, or could recommend a good supplier? I'm doing the national parks, so want to make sure that I get a card thats widely accepted.

Any advise would be welcome.

Kind Regards

Kezzer

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
I've used a Travelex Cash card in many countries, including the US. They are a very safe way to take money as they are not attached to your bank account. You can top them up online if needed, use them to withdraw cash and even pay direct with it as you would a credit card.

Have a great holiday - it's one on my list.

sjm533
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I have used a FairFX Mastercard for years and have never had any trouble. I have even used the euro card to buy from Amazon Germany. They give a better rate than some. They have dollar, euro or anywhere cards. They work exactly the same as your debit/credit card. There are no charges for purchases, but there is a $2 or €1.50 ATM charge.

Hope this helps

Sylvia

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
I've not used one of these cards myself but many people do, I tend to take local currency or use my credit/debit card if required.

If you are a member of the AA (automobile association) they have a new one out that is multi-currency so you can use in many different countries (America, Europe, etc).

Also heard Post Office do a good one, but their exchange rates never convince me nowadays.

I will say take some cash aswell, you'll need it for tips in the States.

Mick

Julie L
(Member)
'Mick wrote:

I've not used one of these cards myself but many people do, I tend to take local currency or use my credit/debit card if required.

If you are a member of the AA (automobile association) they have a new one out that is multi-currency so you can use in many different countries (America, Europe, etc).

Also heard Post Office do a good one, but their exchange rates never convince me nowadays.

Mick

Hi, is it safe to use bank cards and MasterCard in Canada & America?

JustMargaret
(Member)
'Kezzer46' wrote:

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a prepaid card for when I go to the states in September and wondered if anyone who uses one of these cards, could give me advice on the pros/cons, or could recommend a good supplier? I'm doing the national parks, so want to make sure that I get a card thats widely accepted.

Any advise would be welcome.

Kind Regards

Kezzer

Hi Kezzer, I have a Thomas Cook prepaid card for Canadian Dollas and one for Euros. They can be topped up on line or over the counter. Very safe and very convenient.

Mr C
  • (Member)
(Member)
Not quite the answer to your question, but have you considered a Halifax clarity credit card?

Take the money out of the local ATM in cash, no charges and a good exchange rate.

You do pay a small interest but more than covers the better exchange rate.

You cannot pre load the card, and need to tell them where your going in advance so the card doesn't get blocked.

I haven't used in in US but have used in Europe. I went on my last holiday with virtually no local currency, bit scary but it was fine.

Oh and if you do decide to use this, apply in branch there are benefits for doing so.

I don't work for, or have no reason to "plug" this card. It's just an alternative to consider and please don't blame me if you end up borrowing off others on the tour if the card gets swallowed!

I heard about it via the moneysavingsexpert site, plus a relative recommended.

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Julie wrote:

'Mick wrote:

Mick

Hi, is it safe to use bank cards and MasterCard in Canada & America?

I've never had a problem but tend to stick to hotels, good restaurants and large stores when i use them. Smaller places such as cafe and bars i use cash.

Americans seem to use cards all the time which suggest its fine, at least as safe as here.

Kezzer46
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks everyone, lots of useful ideas for me to look into.

Kind Regards

Kezzer