Elaine 123
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello My Name is Elaine

I have not long lost my husband, we travelled a lot, now I am finding it difficult to travel on my own,

I am a keen photographer, love to take photos in fact I may bore people at times,

I am looking to ask people how they coped on their first time alone on a holiday,

Elaine x:shy:

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Elaine

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I hope those that have been in your situation can reply to you about how they found things...

I to love taking photos and have some great pictures from my travels. I have my 10th JY tour booked so if I can help with anything please just ask.

Cindy

Elaine 123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Elaine

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I hope those that have been in your situation can reply to you about how they found things...

I to love taking photos and have some great pictures from my travels. I have my 10th JY tour booked so if I can help with anything please just ask.

Cindy

Hello Cindy,

Thank you for replying to me, I have asked others now waiting for a reply.

How did you find going on your own, as a Photographer, was there plenty of time to take photos, as I do it on a pro level, I always need time to take them, I am looking to go next year if all my plans work out, need as much advise asI can, I am not scared of travelling on my own, nor meeting different people, My Husband and I alway, well mostly did fly drive, so living out a suit case is not a problem, it is being there with out him

Elaine

kittycat
(Member)
'Elaine wrote:

Hello My Name is Elaine

I have not long lost my husband, we travelled a lot, now I am finding it difficult to travel on my own,

I am a keen photographer, love to take photos in fact I may bore people at times,

I am looking to ask people how they coped on their first time alone on a holiday,

Hi Elaine,

After spending a week in Tenerife on my own in 2012 (not recommended - alone that is), I booked my first holiday with JY last September to Costa de la Luz. I was so nervous I almost cancelled the day before departure but told myself it was only a week. What a fabulous time I had. Everyone is there on their own for whatever reason, therefore all in the same boat. You are free to have as much or a little company as you want. The tour manager is with you everyday from am to pm.

I have now booked two holidays with JY this year - Lake Como in June and Heart and Soul of America in October.

Take the plunge and book a holiday that you have always wanted to do and I am sure you will have a wonderfull time. You can also read the reveiws to give you encouragement.

Regards

Val

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Elaine,

I was in exactly the same position as you a year ago. Travelling on my own was something I hadn't done for many, many years and I didn't have the courage to do that. It was just by chance that I found the JY website and kept looking at the holidays for months. The forum played a big part in helping me to make up my mind because so many people had the same apprehensions which disappeared once the holiday began. My first holiday was last September and I had such a great time and made some good friends. What made a difference was meeting up with someone for lunch at the airport before the flight and discovering that she felt as terrified as I did! We were not alone as many in the group were taking their first holiday on their own for different reasons.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Rae

DaveT1946
(Member)
Just book a holiday you like, when you get there you will wonder why you worried.
janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Elaine,

Choose a holiday where you want to go and have a great time. I have had 4 trips and many photos which I post on Facebook for my family and friends to share. I always go on trips which are on my bucket list. I am a widow of nearly 3 years and find this is the only way of seeing the world.

Jan.

sookie222
(Member)
'Elaine wrote:

'nixon' wrote:

Elaine

Cindy

Hello Cindy,

How did you find going on your own, as a Photographer, was there plenty of time to take photos, as I do it on a pro level, I always need time to take them, I am looking to go next year if all my plans work out, need as much advise asI can, I am not scared of travelling on my own, nor meeting different people, My Husband and I alway, well mostly did fly drive, so living out a suit case is not a problem, it is being there with out him

Elaine

Hi Elaine, I had my first JY tour last year (Americas Golden West) and had such a great time that I'm trying hard to save up for my next holiday. It was hard, after 30 years of marriage, to find the courage to go mix with so many strangers but the whole JY experience has given me so much more confidence in myself. I like to take photos too and, although not pro standard, I need time to experiment with camera settings etc. I suppose time allowed for set-up may depend on the holiday you choose. On my American tour I found we were taken to a place of interest and given plenty of free time to wander on our own, knowing the group were close-by which was reassuring. I stood for ages on the rim of the Grand Canyon trying to get the right angle and lighting! There were also some places where we had to stick closely with a local guide, so only quick camera shots were possible. There was one lady on our tour who seemed to do her own thing with her camera for most of the holiday, was quite happy opting out of included tours to spend more time with her camera. I would suggest that you book somewhere you'd really like to see and stay flexible re. your camera - I'd be surprised if you don't return home with some great shots! Sue

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Elaine wrote:

'nixon' wrote:

Elaine

Cindy

Hello Cindy,

Elaine

Elaine

I hope the answers you have obtained from others in the same position have helped you, I have met so many people along the way that although it is not the same going away without their loved one, they are so glad that they can still go on adventures,

In terms of photography it does depend on which style of holiday you choose, I go for on the go types here there and everywhere. Full on tours, but I have some great shots my favs would have to be...

Milford Sound in NZ breathtaking ..plenty if time to really get the right shots

Elephants on safari in Kenya...just clicked away and just stunning

Austria great shots of mountains and area

Poland Auschwitz....haunting pictures

I would say in some places you will have plenty of time to get THE SHOT other times you will just have to click away and hope for the best....

I have enjoyed all the tours I have been on, for many different reasons! but I have always rubbed shoulders with a like minded bunch of people, great laughs along the way, and even occasionally the odd tear... It really is a great way to see this world of ours safely ..

Cindy

RosieMo
(Member)
Hi Elaine,

I went to Moscow & St Petersburg last year. There was a lady on the trip who was a very keen photographer, she used one of those tripods that folds up to be very small. We were a group of around 25, I guess, and there didn't seem to be any problem with the time available for photos. Can I suggest that you read the holiday descriptions very carefully and maybe talk to the people in the office - some holidays cram a tremendous lot of travelling in and I think the schedule may be a bit "rush, rush" for decent photography. As Sue says, above, the time available for photos will likely depend on the holiday itself.

I have also read some holiday reports that some people had problems with their cameras in humid conditions (I think it was the Far East) which could be very frustrating.

Good luck with your choice!

RM

Elaine 123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'sookie222' wrote:

'Elaine wrote:

'nixon' wrote:

Elaine

Cindy

Hello Cindy,

Elaine

Hi Elaine, I had my first JY tour last year (Americas Golden West) and had such a great time that I'm trying hard to save up for my next holiday. It was hard, after 30 years of marriage, to find the courage to go mix with so many strangers but the whole JY experience has given me so much more confidence in myself. I like to take photos too and, although not pro standard, I need time to experiment with camera settings etc. I suppose time allowed for set-up may depend on the holiday you choose. On my American tour I found we were taken to a place of interest and given plenty of free time to wander on our own, knowing the group were close-by which was reassuring. I stood for ages on the rim of the Grand Canyon trying to get the right angle and lighting! There were also some places where we had to stick closely with a local guide, so only quick camera shots were possible. There was one lady on our tour who seemed to do her own thing with her camera for most of the holiday, was quite happy opting out of included tours to spend more time with her camera. I would suggest that you book somewhere you'd really like to see and stay flexible re. your camera - I'd be surprised if you don't return home with some great shots! Sue

HI sue

Thank you for your reply, I do feel a lot better, I am looking at Vietnam or Auss depends on what I can save, I feel much better after reading all of these comments

bhavy
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Elaine wrote:

Hello My Name is Elaine

Hi Elaine

My name is Bhavna and I know exactly how you feel. I lost my husband 3 years ago and want to take the plunge to travel on my own, but don't know how I would cope. Look forward to hearing others experiences too.

Regards

Bhavna

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Bhavna

So sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately life has to go on for those left behind. Why don't you take the plunge and book a holiday through Just You? Choose a destination you would like to visit and go ahead and book it. Taking the first step is always hard but, believe me once you have booked the holiday, despite being nervous you will also be excited about what lies ahead. Travelling with Just You is safe, you are looked after from start to finish and you are travelling with other like minded people. You will have an opportunity to meet people of all ages and experiences. Start with a short trip first if you do not feel you will be able to cope with a longer one. I can guarantee that you will want to book another holiday once you are back from the first one.

All the best

Jaya

Elaine 123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'RosieMo' wrote:

Hi Elaine,

I went to Moscow & St Petersburg last year. There was a lady on the trip who was a very keen photographer, she used one of those tripods that folds up to be very small. We were a group of around 25, I guess, and there didn't seem to be any problem with the time available for photos. Can I suggest that you read the holiday descriptions very carefully and maybe talk to the people in the office - some holidays cram a tremendous lot of travelling in and I think the schedule may be a bit "rush, rush" for decent photography. As Sue says, above, the time available for photos will likely depend on the holiday itself.

I have also read some holiday reports that some people had problems with their cameras in humid conditions (I think it was the Far East) which could be very frustrating.

Good luck with your choice!

RM

Thank you so much for all your help, this as really got me looking, I do hopefully intended to book a holiday next year, two places grab me, are, Vietnam or Auss and New Zealand

Elaine