Bosuncat
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
After tossing various holidays around in my head all week I have finally decided on this. 😛 No going down to Gatwick, and I can have a big birthday in Slovenia again. I was last there in 1991 so technically it will be my 3rd birthday there and I am really looking forward to it.

For those thinking about doing the trip I can only say that the area around Bled is amazing and I am glad that we will see something of the Julian Alps which are SO beautiful. I just hope that the weather is okay as the first time I went way back I had a foot of snow overnight for a birthday present. 😃 That was a lot higher in the mountains than this hotel near Bled though.

I've never been on the coast so that will be something new to me.

So 6 months to go I know but looking forward to hearing from anyone who is contemplating going on the 3rd May departure or has already booked. :thumbup:

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bosuncat,

Must agree Heathrow is a far better option than Gatwick (although wouldn't let it put me off somewhere i really wanted to go). Only downside is the flight is early saturday so would mean getting down to heathrow friday which isn't the best travelling day especially with it been a bank holiday weekend.

I am looking at doing something in May though so does fit my plans.

This holiday does look good so you may yet be seeing me, its a country I've yet to visit so thats another attraction.

Mick

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bosuncat

I have been looking at this holiday and if I do decide then I was thinking of going in June as hopefully the weather will be warmer. I have not made up my mind yet about what to do as am still recovering from my treatment and want to make sure I will be fit enough to travel. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Jaya

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Bosuncat

I have been looking at this holiday and if I do decide then I was thinking of going in June as hopefully the weather will be warmer. I have not made up my mind yet about what to do as am still recovering from my treatment and want to make sure I will be fit enough to travel. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Jaya

I totally appreciate your situation Jaya and hope your recovery continues to go well. :thumbup:

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick wrote:

Bosuncat,

Must agree Heathrow is a far better option than Gatwick (although wouldn't let it put me off somewhere i really wanted to go). Only downside is the flight is early saturday so would mean getting down to heathrow friday which isn't the best travelling day especially with it been a bank holiday weekend.

I am looking at doing something in May though so does fit my plans.

This holiday does look good so you may yet be seeing me, its a country I've yet to visit so thats another attraction.

Mick

I would have to go down to Heathrow on the Friday too Mick, but it's easier than the extra miles down to Gatwick. I will keep my fingers crossed. Let me know! :thumbup:

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bosuncat,

Will be making a decision in the next week but this holiday is a strong possibility so good chance you'll catch me this year. As you say heathrow is far better than Gatwick so thats one plus.

Couple of things to check first but the fact its a early flight is also appealing sort of gets us another day there, hate arriving late at night.

Mick

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick wrote:

Bosuncat,

Will be making a decision in the next week but this holiday is a strong possibility so good chance you'll catch me this year. As you say heathrow is far better than Gatwick so thats one plus.

Couple of things to check first but the fact its a early flight is also appealing sort of gets us another day there, hate arriving late at night.

Mick

That's good news Mick! :)

And I know what you mean. I had been going through the brochure pre booking marking up the specific date (which was important to me for next year), places I was REALLY interested in (a lot), and just as important whether I would probably have to factor in 2 nights at an airport hotel (which I must admit discounted some). Heathrow or Gatwick departure was the last item on the list to be honest, but when you don't drive and the trains are so expensive it does count an awful lot.

gailtravels
(Member)
I want to do this trip too and would be nice to meet up with Mick again but I was looking at early October to get the autumn colours.
Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Gail (or L), Nice to hear from you, I'm 95% sure I'll be on the May 3rd trip (watch this space), perhaps you should rethink your dates be good to be on same trip again think we all enjoyed Cilento. Can always do another hol later in the year if you book an early one.

Mick

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick wrote:

Hi Gail (or L), Nice to hear from you, I'm 95% sure I'll be on the May 3rd trip (watch this space), perhaps you should rethink your dates be good to be on same trip again think we all enjoyed Cilento. Can always do another hol later in the year if you book an early one.

Mick

Watching and waiting.

:thumbup:

gailtravels
(Member)
There are some really lovely things to see in Lake Bled and surrounding areas that Just You do not include in any of the tours which is disappointing, apparently there is a beautiful waterfall not far away but uphill to find and a cable car to go on and other lovely things to do, if I went at the same time as you would you be adventurous and go with me.
gailtravels
(Member)
Forgot to say I went to the caves when I went this year to Croatia with Just You, they really are amazing.
Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
'gailtravels' wrote:

There are some really lovely things to see in Lake Bled and surrounding areas that Just You do not include in any of the tours which is disappointing, apparently there is a beautiful waterfall not far away but uphill to find and a cable car to go on and other lovely things to do, if I went at the same time as you would you be adventurous and go with me.

Yes, be up for that sounds good to me.

gailtravels
(Member)
I won't know if I can go that date until probably sometime in January so you make your arrangements and if I can join the group I will otherwise I will go a later date.
Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bosuncat,

Decision made I'm now booked on 3rd May departure so you cant avoid me this year, lol.

Where you staying at Heathrow night , have you sorted anything ?

I'll be looking for a hotel/parking deal because will be in the car.

Mick

Gail (L),

Over to you, get booked on this one.

Mick

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bosuncat,

Have just booked my heathrow hotel, got Park Inn 4 star night before plus parking for the full week for £62, can often cost more than that parking only.

Stayed there before its very handy for bus stop to catch one of the free service buses to the terminal instead of paying for the hoppa bus. Also just across the road from the Three Magpies pub for evening meal, usually good and decent price in there.

Mick

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick wrote:

Bosuncat,

Have just booked my heathrow hotel, got Park Inn 4 star night before plus parking for the full week for £62, can often cost more than that parking only.

Stayed there before its very handy for bus stop to catch one of the free service buses to the terminal instead of paying for the hoppa bus. Also just across the road from the Three Magpies pub for evening meal, usually good and decent price in there.

Mick

Thanks Mick. Will check it out. I know the Three Magpies. Good grub place. :P

Julia I am happy for Mick to have my email addy if he wants it so that we can sort any arrangements out.

Mick and Gail I have some info on the local waterfalls to Bled. I can post a link on here if you wish and if that is okay Julia? I sure hope there are more bookings.

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Mick wrote:

Bosuncat,

Mick

I've just checked and it would be £60 a night for me, don't need the parking as I would be coming down on the bus. I think I shall book. That's pretty reasonable by Heathrow standards.

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'gailtravels' wrote:

This is a waterfalls link.

http://www.slovenia-walking.com/waterfalls-slovenia.html 

The Savika one is the one near to Lake Bohinji. I have been to it and it is beautiful. I have also been to Number 10 on the list. I always stayed in Kransjka Gora and some people I met and I caught the local bus (which ends up in Bled, or did then) and walked to those waterfalls. It was a bit of a hike but well worth the trip.

I feel like you that more could have been made of the time in the mountains. Bled is beautiful but I think that a full day there is plenty. I would have liked to have seen a Julian Alps trip on the second day, to include stops at Bohinji and Bovec. Still I shouldn't complain I am just looking forward to seeing the mountains again.

Oh I've been to the caves too. :thumbup:

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

'Mick wrote:

Bosuncat,

Mick

I've just checked and it would be £60 a night for me, don't need the parking as I would be coming down on the bus. I think I shall book. That's pretty reasonable by Heathrow standards.

Bosuncat,

Well if you get that one great its really handy but any of the hotels along Bath road are good because plenty of buses.

Don't book the Hoppa as I say the service bus is free to and from the terminals (including term 5).

Where does the national express bus arrive ?

Is it the central bus station near terms 1,2 & 3 or is it term 5. Can tell you which bus to get to the hotel if its either of them (and which bus stop).

Will prob be down south visiting friends the day we go before going to hotel or would have been able to give you lift own, but you welcome to one back if you can arrange transport from somewhere near the M1.

Mick