SteveS
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi! Just thought I would say hello to anyone else planning on Peru on the above date. Steve.
ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Steve,

I have also booked this, I started a thread for this a month ago but only got one response. I was told there were 13 people on the main tour and 8 going on the Amazon add on and that it is definitely going ahead. I'm flying from Manston via Amsterdam so arrive in Lima the night before.

I just trying to work out what sort of clothing we are going to need

Keith

SteveS
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'ksf1' wrote:

Hi Steve,

I have also booked this, I started a thread for this a month ago but only got one response. I was told there were 13 people on the main tour and 8 going on the Amazon add on and that it is definitely going ahead. I'm flying from Manston via Amsterdam so arrive in Lima the night before.

I just trying to work out what sort of clothing we are going to need

Keith

Hello Keith, thanks for getting in touch. I am flying from Bristol so we will meet up in Amsterdam. That's good, a bit of teamwork from the airport to Hotel in Lima. We will have to find a way to identify ourselves in amongst another 400 on a 747.

Sorry I did look for earlier threads re this trip, but did not find yours.

I will do a bit more work on clothing but I think by day it will be quite summery but a fleece for the evenings and light walking boots. It is technically the start of the rainy season, but I think year on year the start moves quite a bit, so we could have anywhere from light showers to heavy rain. I will take a light weight waterproof. If you decide I have got any of this wrong, please let me know.

I decided against the Amazon trip, but I am sure you will have great fun and when I have to return will be kicking myself.

I signed up a few days ago, but in fact the numbers I was told are very similar to what you quoted.

I have never been on a group holiday like this before so will be interested to see how the dynamics work. I very much want to see Machu Picchu though so this looks like a fun way to do it.

Best wishes, Steve.

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Steve,

I think you are right about the clothing. From what I can see there is a huge range of temperatures so I was going to work on layers with a fleece and a waterproof top. The only thing I'm not sure about is the lightweight walking boots as we may only need something like a walking trainer particularly as we are not doing a great amount of hiking. (need to check this)

I think a lot of the Regional flights go via Amsterdam which means there may be a few of us there. Perhaps nearer the time the company may offer some advice such as a meeting point. Hopefully a few more may pick up this thread, and we get an extra night in the hotel

I have never been on a JY holiday but I have been many times with one of their competitors and never had a bad one. In fact many of them have been great fun.

I have been looking at the currency and it seems that apart from the local currency US dollars are widely accepted. Apparently I read somewhere that ATM's become scarcer as the tour goes on.

Hopefully anyone who has done this trip before will see this thread and offer some advice

Regards

Keith

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ps, just read that someone who has been said walking boots are a must at Machu Picchu as it can be slippery so that answers that one
jemimakate
(Member)
Hi,

I am booked onto this Peru and the Amazon trip too ( from Heathrow). Just got together the final money I need to pay today and can't get through to the payment site so thought to go on the forum then try again.

I am excited already!

Wondering what the weather will be like: hot, cold, humid or all of these in turn.

Mima x.

SteveS
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Mima! Yes, I am really looking forward to this trip also. In order to pay I had to call them on Monday. (Their system does not believe my postcode.) I look forward to meeting you in Lima.

Hello again Keith. Thanks for the other comments.

What advice have you both had re Peruvian currency. Buy it here or there? I suspect that the best idea is to buy US$ here and then change to Peruvian there in small amounts, but that is just a guess. Do you have any idea how much we need for meals drinks etc. Blankets/ ponchos being extra!

Keith, sorry I stamped on your thread.

Best wishes,.Steve.

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mima and Steve,

I have been thinking about clothing and for day time will probably go for tee shirts, a sweat shirt and a "soft shell" jacket which will act as waterproof (assuming we don't have a monsoon) and warm layer. Otherwise I think we could be packing too much particularly with 23kg limit on KLM.

Being a bit sad I have added the towns we are visiting to the weather app on my iPad and there is a big variation already but at least it will give us an idea a few days before packing

As for currency I will try take a small quantity of local currency and the rest in US dollars, changing up as we go.

Really looking forward to it now and Steve don't worry none of us own a thread, I'm just glad we have got at least 3 of us on this thread

Keith

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
A few thoughts,

Just been into Mountain Warehouse who have branches everywhere and they have a sale on with a lot of gear that could be used including travel shirts which have been impregnated with anti mosi stuff.

I am working on taking the following for daytime

3 x travel shirts (anti mosi, quick drying, non iron)

3 breathable tee shirts

2 pairs trek convertible trousers (unzip and convert to shorts

This way I can wash and dry without too much hassle.

I am also going to take a soft shell jacket to use for warmth and waterproof.

Im not sure about footwear as I don't want to take my walking boots as they are too heavy so may go for walking trainers as we will definitely need a good footwear sole at Machu Picchu.

I haven't thought about evening wear but a few smart casual I guess

I will need to check on baggage allowance as KLM allow 23Kg out and back but need to check on the internal flights. When I went to China we were allowed 32Kg but going straight out again on an internal flight was a strictly controlled 20 Kg and some people hadn't realised so they had to dump 12 Kg there and then.

A good source of info is

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/peru 

If you want to see some fab pics someone called carol King who did this trip uploaded her photos on google and the link is

https://picasaweb.google.com/108100517186681990974/Peru?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPxmdi1xeb_rgE 

Re the Amazon add on..

You can see from the photos that they are wearing wellingtons which are supplied but Carol recommended taking a pair of socks to wear with them.

Also in that thread it mentioned taking a small holdall if doing that trip so the main luggage can be left at the hotel

another thing to ask the editor when I have a list together

Keith

jemimakate
(Member)
Hi Steve and Keith,

Need to think about clothes. Since I see it as both a city holiday and walking/ boating holiday I am going to go for different styles. Interesting about anti mosi tshirts, I shall look into that. Only taking walking shoes/trainers as we are not doing the big trek.I may get a insect head net for night times in the Amazon.

Oh will look at the photos, thanks for the link Keith.

Do we need a soft holdall sort of case or will a standard suitcase be ok?

Mima

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mima,

what I listed there was day time stuff and will probably do the chinos/polo shirts in the evening. I found some walking trainers as that is all we should need at MP. A previous post said normal suitcase was ok but another said for the Amazon add on you need only take a few things and leave the suitcase and everything else at the hotel. I have a fold up holdall that I used on a safari but I will ask the editor about that and also about baggage allowance for internal flights.

I have got some 100% deet from Amazon (the store) for the mosquitoes but its nasty stuff if you get it in the wrong place as it will melt floor varnish and plastic so I will try and avoid it. I also got some wrist and ankle bands from them which apparently work quite well and last for 100 hours. Having said that I tend to use Boots own wipes which contain 50% deet and should do the job.

When you see the photos Mima most people seem to be in normal clothes so wont need anything too special. I will be interested if you find the mosi net

Keith

Keith

SteveS
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello, I received a bunch of bumph from JustYou today. It did not add much to what I have already but it did prompt me to think about the Larco Herrera Museum trip. Are either of you goinng? I am a bit puzzled, its a museum but they indicate moderate walking. I have no info. about it except what arrived today. Perhaps I need to read evthing more thoroughly. I have been a bit busy. Is it a half or whole day?

On the clothes front I am afraid I will be my normal scruffy self, but perhaps I am less concerned since I live in the Alps much of the year and have plenty of layers which is possibly the answer. I would think we definatly need something with a good grip at MP on our feet. I have some light walking boots and will probably wear them for travelling.

Anyone know where I can get a good money belt? Perhaps Amazon is the answer. I think that probably is essential. Business trips in the past to other parts of S America indicate that, though I never lost anything.

Mima, I will go with a standard suitcase, but then I am not going to the Amazon. I think there you might need a small rucksack and leave most of your luggage behind from what I read. It is somewhat easier to lock a suitcase and know if it has been tampered with.

Best wishes, Steve.

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

A lot of the posts said you need a good walking shoe or boot at MPand as I have a lightweight pair Iwill take those. A money belt is essential. I got one on amazon which is more of a wallet on a belt and buckle as you can get more in it. I was in Argentina a couple of years ago and at least 3 in our group got robbed in various ways so apart from cards and money and camera, don't take any valuables,

Keith

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Just checked with Ask the editor and she has said that baggage allowance on all LAN flights is 23kg which is good. Those doing the Amazon will need a small holdall as the main case will be left at the hotel and we take only what we need

Keith

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
just wondering what info you recently received Steve, as i have had none since I booked

Have seen my travel nurse and she has recommended rabies jabs and Malaria tabs if going to the Amazon, but nothing special if you are not

K

SteveS
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Keith, I am just sitting waiting for the channel tunnel train to go so no access to my papers from just you. From memory it recon firmed the flights, baggage allowance and padded out the itinary. Nothing particularly important. I just wondered why they had not sent that first time. On the jabs front they suggested Typhoid, Hep A and Tetanus. They might ALL be boosters, certainly the last two. For the Amazon I think you need to do something about Malaria and Yellow Fever..... But I am not going there.

Hope that helps, Steve.

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Steve, I certainly haven't had the type of info that you seem to have had and according to my bumph I get all that in October, fairly relaxed now I know the baggage allowance etc. I thought I was ok on jabs as I have yellow fever etc but my local travel nurse recommended rabies as well. Having looked at the photos there seem to be a lot of animals where we are in the Amazon. Thanks anyway Keith
cathygarnz
(Member)
Hello!

I've been reading your messages about the Nov Peru trip with great interest as I am also booked on it but not doing the Amazon add on. This is my first solo holiday abroad and getting very excited! I will be flying from Heathrow even though I'm coming from Devon. Getting a bus straight to the airport is so easy!!

I have also received the extra information-seems strange that not everyone has had it.

Not sure whether I'll do the Museum trip. More info would be good.

Just been looking at meal prices-seems pretty cheap.

My only question [ for now!! ] is will a European adaptor work over there?

Hope this post gets to the right place cause it all looked a bit confusing!!!

Also hope you three dont mind me joining in!!!!

Cathy

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cathy, glad you are joining us. I have done a lot of these solo holidays abroad although not with JY, and I can honestly say they have all been good fun and I have never had a bad one.

I'm going from Manston as I am only 20 mins away and the terminal is so small there is none of the hassle, I also like the idea of arriving in Lima the night before.

There are one or two web sites that will show you the electrical plugs in use in Peru. It seems there could be three.

1) small round 2 pin, looks like the one used in Europe, 2) flat two pin and sometimes 3) one I have never seen before so best look at pictures. I have a worldwide adaptor made by Scross which has all the pins plus 2 USB sockets for phones and cameras. It was quite reasonable on Amazon.

Reading the previous posts on here from other groups that have been before and they all said how cheap Peru is which is good.

Have you had a look at the photos on the link from someone who has been before I put in a previous post.

Keith

jemimakate
(Member)
Hi Keith, Steve and Cathy, I am booked to fly from Heathrow as I live in Reading. I have booked the museum trip as am interested in Peru and the Incas.

I read about Peru in a National Geographic and there seem to be new villages and mummies discovered fairly recently ( altho the article was 3 years old).

Not sure what the extra information is, don't think I have it

Also I thought that no vaccinations were required. Not sure about malaria tablets, was thinking the altitude will make me ill so dont want to take any unless essential.

Hope I get the information soonish so I can decide about what and how much currency, which case/cases are best and so on. I assume the adapter would be a US style one.

Mima