Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have been on about 13 JustYou holidays and have recently booked a trip to New Zealand. It is a bit daunting because I have never been that far before! is there anyone else out there who has booked on the same trip?
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Angelina

I did this tour in Jauary 2012 so if there is anything you need to know just ask.....good tour and stunning scenery...

Cindy

SHELLY 1
(Member)
'Angelina123' wrote:

I have been on about 13 JustYou holidays and have recently booked a trip to New Zealand. It is a bit daunting because I have never been that far before! is there anyone else out there who has booked on the same trip?

Hi Angelina, Just wonder are you doing this with the Australia trip??? As i'm am doing this(Australia) in Nov 2013. Done USA a few times but never a long flight. What to do with all that time????ENJOY YOUR TRIP. from Shelly 1

Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Angelina

I did this tour in Jauary 2012 so if there is anything you need to know just ask.....good tour and stunning scenery...

Cindy

Hi Cindy

I am wondering what to do about currency because I normally take cash in the local currency! Did you take enough clothes for 3 weeks or did you as some have suggested get the opportunity to wash clothes during the holiday due to weight limitations?

Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SHELLY wrote:

'Angelina123' wrote:

Hi Angelina, Just wonder are you doing this with the Australia trip??? As i'm am doing this(Australia) in Nov 2013. Done USA a few times but never a long flight. What to do with all that time????ENJOY YOUR TRIP. from Shelly 1

Hi Shelly

No I am not doing NZ with Australia, it's a bit expensive for me and a long trip away. I have been to China and Japan so have been on 13 hour flights but NZ is something else!! Angelina123

AbbaDave
(Member)
would have loved to have done the New Zealand add on with Australia but with taking almost a month off work as it was this may have pushed the boat a bit, maybe do NZ separately one day
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Angelina

I did take all money in local currency I must say it was a lot of money to take that way, but I was never sure if getting money would be easy due to the amount of travelling and hotels etc. Most room have safes just remember to take the money when you leave. I did come back with approx £1000 as I only achieved I helicopter flight, this was due to the weather conditions ...

Only take enough clothes for 10-14 days, there are chances to wash stuff out, just bare in mind others will be thinking the same, I made sure the dirty clothes were in a bag and got in quick before others had a chance !!!, might be worth taking some washing powder, as sometimes this has to be bought from receptions and they didn't always have it.

I had a great time and the scenery is breath taking...

Cindy

DavidG
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Angelina,

I am booked on this trip, my 12th with JY. I went on the Australia holiday last year and most hotels had laundry facilities. I took some local currency plus a pre-loaded cash card. Last year I paid for a flight upgrade to premium economy and was able to sleep on the flight for this forst time ever - no jet lag! Have managed to arrange for this year. A bit expensive,but worth every penny.

Reading the various reviews looks to be another excellent JY holiday. See you!

David.

Janries
(Member)
Hi Angelina

I am booked on this trip; first time I have been away for so long and far, also very nervous. I am hoping that once I make the numerous decisions about clothes, what money and how much etc will be more excited than nervous. See you at the airport!!

Janice

Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SHELLY wrote:

'Angelina123' wrote:

Hi. No I am not doing Australia as it's too expensive to combine with New Zealand. Angela

Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Angelina

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I suspect Chinese food will be served on Cathay Pacific. I always like to know what I am eating!!! Last time I went to HK I was with my Mandarin-speaking daughter. I know Hong Kong will be very warm and humid so it's difficult going from cold UK to HK. Will I need many HK dollars for HK i.e food? Angelina

Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Angelina

I did take all money in local currency I must say it was a lot of money to take that way, but I was never sure if getting money would be easy due to the amount of travelling and hotels etc. Most room have safes just remember to take the money when you leave. I did come back with approx £1000 as I only achieved I helicopter flight, this was due to the weather conditions ...

Only take enough clothes for 10-14 days, there are chances to wash stuff out, just bare in mind others will be thinking the same, I made sure the dirty clothes were in a bag and got in quick before others had a chance !!!, might be worth taking some washing powder, as sometimes this has to be bought from receptions and they didn't always have it.

I had a great time and the scenery is breath taking...

Cindy

Hi Cindy. Which trips did you go on becaue I want to pay for as many as possible here in UK otherwise it's a lot of extra money to take. Angelina

Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Angelina

Cindy

Hi Cindy

I was reading the Cathay Pacific website and it said how fussy New Zealand is about contents of ones suitcase. They say one cannot take sweets to NZ and if you do you are taken aside and it delays the arrival process. Are there kettles in the hotels because if so I will take my sachets of coffee/creamer with me. I am taking travel wash tubes with me as I am afraid the washing powder might mean my case being searched because they think it is suspicious?? :

I have booked on all the trips offered to me to pre-book in UK. It's going to be warm in HK so I'm taking FitFlops. For NZ I am taking about 5 dresses and about 3 trousers and T shirts, will that be suitable. Oh yes, I pair of trendy laceups and socks. Angela

Auntie D
(Member)
'Angelina123' wrote:

'nixon' wrote:

Angelina

Cindy

Hi Cindy

I was reading the Cathay Pacific website and it said how fussy New Zealand is about contents of ones suitcase. They say one cannot take sweets to NZ and if you do you are taken aside and it delays the arrival process. Are there kettles in the hotels because if so I will take my sachets of coffee/creamer with me. I am taking travel wash tubes with me as I am afraid the washing powder might mean my case being searched because they think it is suspicious?? :

I have booked on all the trips offered to me to pre-book in UK. It's going to be warm in HK so I'm taking FitFlops. For NZ I am taking about 5 dresses and about 3 trousers and T shirts, will that be suitable. Oh yes, I pair of trendy laceups and socks. Angela

Morning Angelina,

Last time I travelled to New Zealand (via a stop over at Dubai to visit family), I took sweets and chocolates in my hold luggage.

As long as you declare food on the card you will need to fill in (forget what it's called) and declare you have sweets/chocolates, on arrival in New Zealand you should be OK.

That was November 2011, so I don't know if the laws have been changed. Perhaps check on the NZ Customs & Excise website?

You'll have a great time in NZ.

Good luck and happy travelling.

Denise

:D:D

DAFFIEGIRL
(Member)
I did this tour in February 2013, and had an amazing time. I took a large amount of currency, some sterling and credit cards. I paid for the all excursions I could in the UK. That only left flights, which I was able by credit cards. The first night in Hong Kong on the tourvmanagers advice, most of us opted for a "Chinese banquet" in the cosmopolitan hotel. At nearly fifty pounds I felt rather ripped off. The intreped few who went out to local restaurants seemed to eat better at a fraction of the cost. As we were in HK over the Chinese new year, no optional excursions were available, but we did manage the Star Ferry independantly. The included half day tour was very comprehensive. New Zealand is incredible. From volcanoes in the north, to fiords in the south, the scenery is stunning. All NZ hotels provided kettles, tea,, coffee and milk or creamer. Most also had irons and ironing boards in the rooms. Hope you have as great a time as I did.
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Angela

There is quite a lot of walking involved so as long as your ok with the flip flops that should be fine. At the beach part it was extremeley HOT when I was there so I even had to get the shorts on ..so not a good look these days..I did wear short a fair bit as the heat was hot..lots of people took part in swimming a long the way so a costume? perhaps. Clothes that are comfy there is lots of sitting on the coach or your out walking.If your going on the Franz Joseph helo flight and getting off then when I went it was mega snow so something warm for that and safe shoes..

I have been pulled over on a OZ flight re pasta meals etc in my main case embarressing!! so now I dont pack anything no tea suger nothing..I just gather it up from the hotel rooms or at breakfast there is plenty of STUFF to grab along the way. Not so much a kettle but the american style coffee perculators I call them that you put water in and it boils up. I am sure they were in all my rooms as I cant live with out a drink. Most rooms had a iron and ironing board.

You cant have long to wait now,,have a great time ...

Do you know who your tour manager is yet?

Cindy

Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

Hi Angela

There is quite a lot of walking involved so as long as your ok with the flip flops that should be fine. At the beach part it was extremeley HOT when I was there so I even had to get the shorts on ..so not a good look these days..I did wear short a fair bit as the heat was hot..lots of people took part in swimming a long the way so a costume? perhaps. Clothes that are comfy there is lots of sitting on the coach or your out walking.If your going on the Franz Joseph helo flight and getting off then when I went it was mega snow so something warm for that and safe shoes..

I have been pulled over on a OZ flight re pasta meals etc in my main case embarressing!! so now I dont pack anything no tea suger nothing..I just gather it up from the hotel rooms or at breakfast there is plenty of STUFF to grab along the way. Not so much a kettle but the american style coffee perculators I call them that you put water in and it boils up. I am sure they were in all my rooms as I cant live with out a drink. Most rooms had a iron and ironing board.

You cant have long to wait now,,have a great time ...

Do you know who your tour manager is yet?

Cindy

Hi Cindy

Thanks for the helpful comments. I must find out who my tour manager is going to be. Angela

Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Janries' wrote:

Hi Angelina

I am booked on this trip; first time I have been away for so long and far, also very nervous. I am hoping that once I make the numerous decisions about clothes, what money and how much etc will be more excited than nervous. See you at the airport!!

Janice

Hi Janice, I read on one of the threads that the Chinese banquet in Hong Kong costs £60!! that sounds horrendous, I think I will make a few enquiries about that! Look forward to meeting you SOON at Heathrow. Angela

DavidG
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello,

I have just returned from this trip. Great holiday, complete with earthquake! I took £1000 with me to cover excursions, plus a pre-loaded card. Only had to use card once for relatively small amount. Lunch snacks were reasonably cheap and main course evening meals averaged 30-35$ (although wine would increase this). Hong Kong is cheap.

Have a good holiday.

Angelina123
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'DavidG' wrote:

Hello,

I have just returned from this trip. Great holiday, complete with earthquake! I took £1000 with me to cover excursions, plus a pre-loaded card. Only had to use card once for relatively small amount. Lunch snacks were reasonably cheap and main course evening meals averaged 30-35$ (although wine would increase this). Hong Kong is cheap.

Have a good holiday.

Hi David

Thank you for the useful tips. It's only six days away now, I have started putting things ready to pack on the bed. Angela