Mike21
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)

Hi everyone:

I’ve just recently become a member but have been receiving JY’s brochures for over a year. From the start, I have been looking at the “Inspirational China” trip, maybe with the Yangtze add-on.

I have often understood from a variety of sources that because of the country’s vastness, most operators cram in as much as possible with early starts most/every day/s.

As a newbie in his early 70s, my question is really directed to any others of that vintage who have been on this trip or similar and, on reflection, might say that had they known how exhausting it turned out to be, they’d probably not have booked a trip quite so ambitious and distant.

I really don’t mean my first thread to appear to be quite so negative! ­­– rather just seeking reassurance that China tours are not too overtaxing for those of, erm, advanced years! I’m in reasonably good health though moderate arthritis in my spine has yet to hinder my mobility too seriously, thanks to prescribed pain-killers. I managed a fabulous trip to the Canadian Rockies on the Rocky Mountaineer two years ago before embarking on a week-long cruise up into Alaska without any problem. But I was the only single person in the whole group of 40 or more.

Like so many others who suddenly see time rushing past them at an alarming speed, and after putting off travelling anywhere really as a singleton, JustYou has provided an opportunity to join similar folk and jolted me into doing so “while I can”.

And like they say, I “can’t take it with me.....!” I would appreciate all comments and thank you in anticipation.

Michael – or ‘Mike’ to my friends!

greyperu
(Member)
hi michael ive just returned from the 22 day aussie trip it was a great holiday with a lot of travelling but travel was essential to see most of the places oh by the way im 73 only you can tell if you have it in you to travel a lot graham
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Welcome Mike...we are all friends on here,

I have not been on this tour but have my 9th JY tour booked, I am sure someone will be able to answer your posting, have you red up on this tour in the review section you might be able to find an answer there.

Good Luck, on your travels.

Cindy

Mike21
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Many thanks, greyperu and nixon for my first replies. Love your opening line, nixon, rendering my last superfluous!

greyperu: of course I expect “a lot of travelling”; it was the cramming-in of so much that causes me some concern. This is answered pretty well by this opening comment in a review (you directed me to, nixon):

“What a fabulous holiday.....Make no mistake, this holiday is full on from morning till dusk and then some.....”

Well that’s fine as long as it’s not all walking. I managed some pretty strenuous, rocky climbs in the, erm, Rockies two years ago but Lake Louise was worth any effort. So I don’t think I’d have any problems with, for example, the Great Wall – one of the biggest draws to China for me.

It does sound like the Yangtze extension is worth the extra, just to unwind again.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike, I hesitate to comment as I haven't done this tour (yet) - I'm hoping to do it next year. By all accounts, it is a very full on tour with lots of early starts. But in my experience with JY, it is often the older travellers who have the most energy! I've done a few long haul tours with JY, with lots of early starts - getting up at 6am (or earlier on one or two occasions - usually to catch a sunrise somewhere or get a flight). But these tours are very well organised and balanced, so if you do have an early start, there is usually some free time before dinner to recover. Having said that, I usually go to bed shortly after dinner, so I'm well rested for the next day. The cruise sounds like a great way for a relaxing end to the holiday. I hope you book the tour and have a great time!

All the best,

Bob

Mike21
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Bob:

It’s OK for you – an “early bird”! I’m a night-owl!! I did experience one 6am start on a week-long Nile Cruise with SAGA in 2006 in order to get to the Valley of the Kings before the crowds arrived. Of course I was a whole seven years younger then!

Your memory confirms what I suspected in my original thread. I think I can face a few of them if I psyche myself up for them and despite the above, do find it easier to get to bed earlier on holiday. And as you say, such early starts are generally for a very good and worthwhile reason. Even a spectacular sunrise can be good enough reason. Thank you for your useful comments.

gillcris
(Member)
'greyperu' wrote:

hi michael ive just returned from the 22 day aussie trip it was a great holiday with a lot of travelling but travel was essential to see most of the places oh by the way im 73 only you can tell if you have it in you to travel a lot graham

We went to China last year with travelsphere and although there were some early starts we thought it was worth it, on our trip we had a few people in their 80's and and man with dreadful arthritis but he climbed part of the Great Wall, it was a wonderful holiday.

Mike21
(Member) (Topic Starter)
"We went to China last year with travelsphere and although there were some early starts we thought it was worth it, on our trip we had a few people in their 80's and and man with dreadful arthritis but he climbed part of the Great Wall, it was a wonderful holiday."

Thanks for that, gillcris... – most reassuring.

sontab
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike,

Did the China trip last September, very hectic, all early morning starts but well worth it. Did the add on Yangtze cruise. Again, not very relaxing as lots of trips off the boat and breakfast at a set time. I came back, as did most of us, wanting a holiday but it was so worth it!

Book it and go and enjoy, life is too short to keep putting things off.

Sonia

Mike21
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'sontab' wrote:

"...Book it and go and enjoy, life is too short to keep putting things off."

I'll drink to that, Sonia. Thanks.

Michael

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Well said Sonia!

Cheers,

Bob

greyperu
(Member)
hi there your never to old if you want to holiday anywhere im 73 and just returned from a three week trip in australia 10 days ago i had a fab time out there lots of travelling and many places to see and a lovely lot of people on the trip im about to book a trip to cambodia & the mekong delta starting in bangkok hope you make another trip and good luck with your arthritis graham
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Mike

As long as you are fit and healthy, age does not matter as it is just a number. If you really fancy the China trip, then go ahead and book it. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. China is one of the destinations on my long wish list and hopefully I will be able to do this trip within the next couple of years.

Happy travelling.

Jaya

Mike21
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for your posts, greyperu and Jaya:

greyperu: I quite agree but one is surely wise to consider something as long walks and hilly, uneven ground v arthritis. But apart from that, I just wanted reassurance from others of my age that this particular long-haul jaunt didn’t make too taxing demands on older folks’ energy. You and others have succeeded in providing that, for which I thank you.

Jaya:

Well see above! It was the “as long as you are fit and healthy” bit that you begin your post with that concerned me. I’m not 100% so but neither am I decrepit! But I’m accepting the challenge and am that close to booking. Unfortunately having dithered a bit, I’ve lost the favoured 9 October date which is now fully-booked. So it’s most likely to be 23 Oct.

jan.clark
(Member)
Hi, been on two Just You hols and thoroughly enjoyed them and have also done Canada, Rockies and Alaska.

Yes tiring but well worth it and have book for Inspiration China June 12th. Hope knees make it but will take the

pain killers life is too short to worry!! Just book it - sure you will be fine.

JemmaJuly
(Member)
I did the China trip in 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed it, but be prepared to be on the go the whole time. We got off the plane after 11 hours and were taken immediately to visit a temple, then an acrobatic show, then dinner and eventually to our hotel only to be told we had an early start and to pack an overnight bag! We were there during the Chinese national holiday week in October and I would advise against going at that time, it is far too busy. Check this out before booking.

The Yangse add on is worth doing. I didn't join any of the optional tours, just relaxed and watched the world go by. Had some massages (excellent). I saw everything I wanted to see in China - quite an experience. Go for it!

DavidG
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Mike,

Yes it is a very busy schedule but you really want to be able to see as much as possible of a truly fascinating country and having travelled all that far. Please remember you in a completely different time zone so early or late riser is not relevant.

The only really strenuous part was if you opt to tackle the Great Wall. The trip is worth it but you are free to admire from the bottom whilst eating ice creams!

Mike21
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Jemma: I can’t believe what you write!! Straight off the plane, ready for the bus to your hotel to unwind after the 12-hour flight, a drink and perhaps crash out? But no!! straight off to a temple, a show and then dinner. Plus some rearranging of some packing ready for an early start the next day! How do I cancel this trip quick?!! Anyway, good to be so forewarned.

And David: I am surprised at your opinion that the Great Wall was the most strenuous part. In my ignorance, and just based on photographs and documentary footage, it looked a doddle to me! A few steps up on to the wall and a leisurely stroll along a stretch for as long as the visit permits!

I can see I’m in for a few more surprises. Ah well, I shall have to be fully prepared to forego the odd excursion if I sense that it’s all getting a bit too much like hard work. I’ll sit that one out and just “watch all the girls go by” as I sip a favourite cocktail.

So many of you have written of it being on the go all the time but though I appreciate the days will be long, one must spend a lot of that time travelling from one centre to the next by plane, or the long distance by coach to one of the sights? It is standing around for long periods without the opportunity to sit down for five minutes now and again which has concerned me rather than the seemingly non-stop activities. I guess those will just make the time fly by even quicker?

Anyway, I am pleased I have booked the Yangtse cruise extension and was interested in your take on that, Jemma. Nice to know that the excursions weren’t that appealing.

Mike21
(Member) (Topic Starter)
(Further to my post #18 above, I see that my original opening few lines failed to get pasted across. [My fault entirely, not JY’s!] And whilst nothing essential, they did contain the usual courtesy and a couple of other comments I did wish to express) . . . . . .

Hello Jan, Jemma and David, whose posts I’ve just discovered after a casual check of my old thread, having just returned from an (independent) trip to Poland. Thank you for your contributions.

Well I have now booked the China trip, Jan and am pleased to say that I got a place on my preferred date after all: 9 October (see post #14), which I hope won’t clash after all with the not-recommended period that includes their National Holiday Week. (Just Googled and see that that runs from 1­–7 Oct. Phew! So that’s a relief.)

Yes, I too, shall be taking pain-killers and have a generous “unused allowance” of 75% of my dosage, using only two a day when I am allowed up to eight. So plenty in hand if I need a quick boost during an arduous tour and my back kicks in.