Bosuncat
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi folks. I havent travelled from Stansted before and reluctantly may have to book a hotel for overnight for this next trip, albeit that it is only for a few hours.

I have looked at the new Premier Inn and it looks fine, but unfortunately the shuttle bus does not run early enough as I have (unless flight times change) to be at the terminal shortly after4am. So that would mean factoring in the cost of a taxi to the terminal. I know from experience that this can be costly.

I have looked also at the Radisson Blu which is actually attached to the terminal, so no shuttle bus or taxi needed. Has anyone on here actually used it, and if so what were your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Read your other post and I'm totally amazed the Stanstead flight is a full 9 hours before the Gatwick flight (3pm).

Holiday extras usually have some good deals especially if you go through the voucher code website to get a extra discount.

http://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/ 

Just type holiday extras and it will show you their, offers enter their site via this one, put the discount code it gives you (10% off hotels at present i think), plus your details. every little helps, lol.

Mick

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bosuncat

I have not used Radisson Blu but can assure you that it is a good hotel chain as my boss usually prefers to stay at Radisson Blu hotels whilst travelling on business, He has not stayed at Stansted though, but I guess all Radisson Blu hotels should have the same standards.

Regards

Jaya

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Bosuncat

I have not used Radisson Blu but can assure you that it is a good hotel chain as my boss usually prefers to stay at Radisson Blu hotels whilst travelling on business, He has not stayed at Stansted though, but I guess all Radisson Blu hotels should have the same standards.

Regards

Jaya

Thanks Jaya. I queried the cost of a taxi from where I live to Stansted today, and to be honest it may run cheaper (believe it or not!) for me to do it that way instead of shelling out for overnight hotel and travel, food in the hotel, transfers etc. I'm not sure which way I will do it yet. In any case I shall be using the train (via Ely) for the airport.

In answer to Mick re the flight departure differences between Stansted and Gatwick, I know! I queried on booking, mainly because when I went to Cilento in 2011 the flights from Gatwick and Stansted arrived into Naples about the same time. I too was shocked when I was told that the Gatwick flight would be leaving so much later.

I know I get boring on the subject but Gatwick (much as I like the airport) is a major pain to get to and from for me. I'm trying Stanstead this time to see how I get on.

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Yes I've got the same problem with Gatwick as I live in Yorkshire it is a pain, I tend to go down south a couple of days early and tie it in with visiting (and staying with) friends.

I'm relucant to pay the massive surcharges to fly from regional airports as i've still to travel there and often pay for hotels anyway.

Mick

jc6030
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I flew from Stanstead last year and did one of those "surprise hotel" things, they usually flag up when you search airport parking, as it transpired, it was the Hilton, they lay on a very good shuttle service every 30 minutes all night and it included the car parking for the weeks holiday, cant remember the exact price but it was less than £100. So that was overnight stay, and the weeks carpark, I have a feeling I paid £79.

Had a lovely swim, steam and sauna etc at the hotel too, all in the price.

Not much locally food wise so drove about 15 minutes to the local town and got a Chinese, yummy.

ps we had to pay a whole £1 for the shuttle lol

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Bosuncat

Regards

Jaya

Thanks Jaya. I queried the cost of a taxi from where I live to Stansted today, and to be honest it may run cheaper (believe it or not!) for me to do it that way instead of shelling out for overnight hotel and travel, food in the hotel, transfers etc. I'm not sure which way I will do it yet. In any case I shall be using the train (via Ely) for the airport.

In answer to Mick re the flight departure differences between Stansted and Gatwick, I know! I queried on booking, mainly because when I went to Cilento in 2011 the flights from Gatwick and Stansted arrived into Naples about the same time. I too was shocked when I was told that the Gatwick flight would be leaving so much later.

I know I get boring on the subject but Gatwick (much as I like the airport) is a major pain to get to and from for me. I'm trying Stanstead this time to see how I get on.

I meant using the train for the return journey. :blush:

And forgot to add thanks Mick for the heads up on the holiday codes. If we had been going on the same date I would have purchased you a lemonade. :thumbup:

Mel P
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

Hi folks. I havent travelled from Stansted before and reluctantly may have to book a hotel for overnight for this next trip, albeit that it is only for a few hours.

I have looked at the new Premier Inn and it looks fine, but unfortunately the shuttle bus does not run early enough as I have (unless flight times change) to be at the terminal shortly after4am. So that would mean factoring in the cost of a taxi to the terminal. I know from experience that this can be costly.

I have looked also at the Radisson Blu which is actually attached to the terminal, so no shuttle bus or taxi needed. Has anyone on here actually used it, and if so what were your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Hello there.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last year. It's only five minutes by shuttle to the airport. Hotel v good. Mel

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
'jc6030' wrote:

Hi

I flew from Stanstead last year and did one of those "surprise hotel" things, they usually flag up when you search airport parking, as it transpired, it was the Hilton, they lay on a very good shuttle service every 30 minutes all night and it included the car parking for the weeks holiday, cant remember the exact price but it was less than £100. So that was overnight stay, and the weeks carpark, I have a feeling I paid £79.

Had a lovely swim, steam and sauna etc at the hotel too, all in the price.

Not much locally food wise so drove about 15 minutes to the local town and got a Chinese, yummy.

ps we had to pay a whole £1 for the shuttle lol

I often go for the "undecover (surprise option)" and you can get some great deals. Recently (christmas) got the Radisson Blu at heathrow with 2 weeks parking for £69, also at heathrow on various trips had the Park inn (£72) & Renaisance(£85) both good deals as parking was included.

Also got decent deals at Gatwick in the past.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bosuncat

Sometimes a taxi works out much cheaper that staying at the hotel. For me it is much easier to get to Gatwick than Stansted and Heathrow. I can get a train direct to Gatwick from Luton but have to get a coach if flying out from Heathrow or Stansted as do not fancy using the underground or Heathrow Express from London as this means dragging your suitcase for God only knows how long for and Piccadilly line from St Pancras is always very busy! I am sure everything will work out well for you and you will have a wonderful holiday.

Jaya

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for all the advice folks. Good to know that someone else feels the same way about the Underground as me Jaya!! :thumbup: