DavidG
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I had booked a holiday to SA next year but am now thinking of changing to NZ. Two reasons: recent fellow travelers have raved about NZ, plus SA Airlines do not offer a premium economy upgrade, only a VERY expensive business class.

I would welcome any views.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
David

I am sure you have read postings from me regarding NZ, I did this tour January 2012 it was is a stunningly beautiful country, breathtaking in fact in places it's a long tour and many hotels and many hours on coaches but so worth it, if I can help you with anything more just ask.

Cindy

angelides
(Member)
I'm planning to go to NZ within next 12 months - friends out there - can't wait - stunning, beautiful and amazing country - gets my vote every time!

Lina

the_baron1
(Member)
Did New Zealand in November. Loved every bit of it. Pity not 30years younger otherwise I would be out there now!!!

Milford sound and Franz Joseph Glacier to die for. Queenstown excellent to spend 3 days there with lots to do. Beware when ordering meals in Restaurants / pubs. They are massive and even for me. Ideal to share one main course between 2.

Have a fantastic time when you go.

Eric

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Eric

I so agree with you. Milford Sound I thought it was breath taking and even shed a tear!!! and Franz Joseph what an experience !

Cindy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi David, I'd say stick with South Africa! I did this tour in Sept 11 and it was the best holiday I've ever had - beautiful scenery around Cape Town and the Cape peninsula, along the Garden Route. Visiting an ostrich farm and the Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn, the game drive were absolutely fantastic and finally the scenery at Blyde River canyon was breathtaking. I hope you've booked the add-on to Zambia as well, because this was actually better again! The Victoria Falls were brilliant, especially if you take the helicopter trip. The dinner on the Royal Livingstone Express was a great experience, as was the day trip to Botswana (Chobe National Park). If you haven't booked the add-on I'd say you should ring to inquire about it. I originally only booked the S Africa tour, but after reading great reviews about Zambia, I rang JY and re-booked to include the add-on - best decision I ever made! I do hope you do this tour and have as amazing time as I did.

Best wishes,

Bob

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi David (again!), just re-read your post and don't worry about the flight, it was fine in economy and the food was very good. I wouldn't bother about the upgrade unless you have medical reasons for doing so.

Cheers,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi David

If I were you I would stick with South Africa and book New Zealand for some other time. I have heard both destinations are worth visiting - they both are on my long list of places to visit and I am sure that I will be able to do so one day.

Jaya

DavidG
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Bob,

The problem is that I have never been able to sleep on planes and thus arrive very jet-lagged from which it takes days to recover. Therefore when I went to Australia last year with JY I upgraded to premium economy. I slept well and arrived rareing to go!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
DavidG

I looked into the upgrade when I went to NZ...but the price was just to much, I would say if you can stretch to the expense then perhaps it's worthwhile.

I travel the world but I am not a happy flyer,I tend to plug into the iPod or the iPad and I just tend to cat nap along the way, if you have done Oz then you know the journey is long but it does end eventually!!!

Have fun

Cindy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi again David, I sympathise as I don't sleep properly on long flights either, and yet I seem to have no problems dropping off on short ones?!! On my last long flight I think I watched four films and read my kindle, probably got an hour or two's kip at most. Funnily enough I don't seem to suffer badly from jet lag, just general tiredness. But once you're on the coach and the sightseeing begins I just forget all about it and the thrill of being somewhere new and exciting just takes over!

All the best,

Bob

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi David

I went to South Africa last year and was dreading the flight. I can never sleep on planes and particularly hate night flights so I usually upgrade to Premium Economy to make it a bit more pleasant. I can't say that I enjoyed the flight to South Africa but I found it well worth it for the holiday once you get there. Like the other posters I take plenty to keep me occupied and spend a lot of the flight standing near the galleys although some crew can get a bit annoyed at this.

It would be a shame to miss such a brilliant holiday because of the flight. I would say do South Africa this year and look to do New Zealand next.

Sally

SylviaJ
(Member)
'DavidG' wrote:

I had booked a holiday to SA next year but am now thinking of changing to NZ. Two reasons: recent fellow travelers have raved about NZ, plus SA Airlines do not offer a premium economy upgrade, only a VERY expensive business class.

I would welcome any views.

Hi David

I've been to NZ and SA (with Zambia add on - superb) and both are special in different ways. I never upgrade as would rather spend the money on the actual holiday. I cannot sleep to order on flights so watch lots of films, docus etc and tend to doze off and miss them!! I think we have to tolerate the long boring journeys and jet lag if we want to see the world. Like others I suggest you do one this year and then do the other country next.

Happy holidays

Sylvia