kerry262
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I've recently booked to go to South Africa next September, October next year and was wondering if any one can give me a few tips on the sort of clothes to take, ie do you need to take something smart for evening meals or is it all fairly casual. Thanks, Kerry
sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Kerry

I did this holiday this Sept/Oct just gone and had an amazing time. There is no need to be too dressy - I think we went a bit smarter twice - once on our last night in South Africa and then for the dinner on the Royal Livingstone Express in Zambia. When I say smart, the ladies either wore trousers with a nice top or dresses. Other than that the dress was very informal. The dinners are included during the main tour and the majority are taken in the hotel where you stay. The days are very busy so at night you tend to eat and go to bed early ready for the next busy day.

I hope you are able to do the Zambia extension as this truly was the highlight of the trip. If not, you will still have a brilliant time I'm sure.

Take a jacket and a fleece/cardigan with you - the days in Cape Town were quite chilly and we had a bit of rain.

Comfortable shoes are a good idea. They don't need to be proper walking shoes, trainers will do but make sure they are comfy.

Have a look through past posts - there are lots giving really good advice.

Sally

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Kerry

Welcome to you, I have not been on this holiday but I have been on 8 JY tours, smart casual is the way I go and most people seem to be of the same opinion, you will always get some one who dresses more down and maybe one or two who go for more dressier style.

It can depend on the style of tour, sometimes you are out for long days and you get back to the hotel and just stay in same clothes grab a quick tea and off to bed!!! Other times you have time to smarten up a little more. I hope someone that has done this tour can help you more...

Have you looked at the other message boards as there are holiday tips etc that people have posted.

Cindy

Worldtraveller
(Member)
'kerry262' wrote:

I've recently booked to go to South Africa next September, October next year and was wondering if any one can give me a few tips on the sort of clothes to take, ie do you need to take something smart for evening meals or is it all fairly casual. Thanks, Kerry

Tricia

Thanks Kerry for letting me know you are on the same trip I am thinking of doing have you booked the add on. It seems a lot of money, almost another holiday, but people seem to recommend it but I am not sure. I am still trying to decide about the add on. I will have to book over Christmas time as I am away again in January for a while. Tricia

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Tricia

The Zambia add on is a lot of money but worth every penny. We packed so much into just a few days but everyone of them was amazing. On arrival we had an included tour to a local village - a chance to see their way of life. This was probably my least favourite activity but we had arrived late due to storms at Jo'burg so probably would have enjoyed it more had we arrived earlier.

The next day started with a guided tour around the Zambian side of Victoria Falls - truly stunning and just at the bottom of the hotel garden! Later in the morning we took a helicopter flight over the falls - a definite must to see the whole Falls in all their glory. That evening we boarded a steam train for a delicious luxury meal while passing giraffe and local villages.

The following day was the Chobe day trip - you go across the Zambezi in to Botswana for a morning river safari and an afternoon game drive. This was totally different from what we saw in South Africa. I will never forget the sight of hundreds of elephants on the plains and watching them take mud baths up close.

Day Four started with an elephant back ride through the bush (and a river) followed by a chance to feed them. We then had lunch on Livingstone Island and stood on the very edge of the falls (or do what I did and ask the guide to take your camera to the edge!). We then had a relaxing sunset cruise on the Zambezi with drinks and snacks.

The last day prior to leaving for the airport we managed to squeeze in a walk with cheetahs or lions - an experience I will never forget.

It actually did feel like a separate holiday but contained the highlights of the trip. Don't get me wrong - the South Africa part on its own is pretty amazing but I would hate to think people missed out on the extension because they didn't realise what they would be missing as was the case on my trip.

Sally

DavidG
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Kerry,

I am also booked for this trip and have included the Zambia add-on. Having read the posts, I am very glad I did!

Look forward to meeting you.

David.

kerry262
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for your reply, I should have said that I have booked the Zambia add, I have seen Niagara Falls so wanted to see Victoria Falls I know it was a lot of money but if you're going that far you might as well do the works. I've booked to go on the 30th September and now can't wait !!

:shy:

Kerry

I did this holiday this Sept/Oct just gone and had an amazing time. There is no need to be too dressy - I think we went a bit smarter twice - once on our last night in South Africa and then for the dinner on the Royal Livingstone Express in Zambia. When I say smart, the ladies either wore trousers with a nice top or dresses. Other than that the dress was very informal. The dinners are included during the main tour and the majority are taken in the hotel where you stay. The days are very busy so at night you tend to eat and go to bed early ready for the next busy day.

I hope you are able to do the Zambia extension as this truly was the highlight of the trip. If not, you will still have a brilliant time I'm sure.

Take a jacket and a fleece/cardigan with you - the days in Cape Town were quite chilly and we had a bit of rain.

Comfortable shoes are a good idea. They don't need to be proper walking shoes, trainers will do but make sure they are comfy.

Have a look through past posts - there are lots giving really good advice.

Sally

kerry262
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Kerry,

I am also booked for this trip and have included the Zambia add-on. Having read the posts, I am very glad I did!

Look forward to meeting you.

David.

Hi David, look forward to meeting you to. I can't wait for the holiday after reading the posts on here it looks asolutely amazing.

Kerry 🙂