sim1
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, I know its still a few months off but anyone else going on the Iceland

trip for new year. Just trying to see who maybe my fellow travelling companions.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi sadly I'm not doing this trip,but I would love to! Perhaps JY could look into running it at another time as well as New Year? Hope you have a great time, I've seen lots of programmes on TV about Iceland and it looks spectacular, enjoy!

All the best,

Bob

LeeLee
  • (Member)
(Member)
Trying to save up in time for this one. It looks ace but having just paid off Thailand, I have no spare funds to pay now!
EdwinaYates
(Member)
'sim1' wrote:

Hi, I know its still a few months off but anyone else going on the Iceland

trip for new year. Just trying to see who maybe my fellow travelling companions.

Hi, I'm on this trip too so I'm glad to hear from someone else.

Edwina

sim1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just a few of us so far, not long now. Anyone else out there for iceland,

See you all soon

Debzie
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sim1' wrote:

See you all soon

Yes,me! First JY holiday but took the plunge and booked last week.

Where are you both travelling from?

EdwinaYates
(Member)
'Debzie' wrote:

'sim1' wrote:

See you all soon

I'm travelling from Manchester. The return journey is a bit of a pain as the Iceland flight arrives after the last flight back to Manchester so I'm having to stay in an airport hotel before a very early flight next morning. Looking forward to the trip though.

Edwina

Debzie
  • (Member)
(Member)
Yes, that does sound a pain. I'm not too far from Heathrow - so am lucky- just need to decide how to get there!

Mossie12
(Member)
Hi - I am thinking of booking - can't make up my mind what shoes to take - is it thick with snow or just cold? Any ideas anyone?
EdwinaYates
(Member)
'Mossie12' wrote:

Hi - I am thinking of booking - can't make up my mind what shoes to take - is it thick with snow or just cold? Any ideas anyone?

Looking on the internet, not surprisingly January appears to be the coldest month. A colleague went in January and said that the pavements in Reykjavik are heated by geothermal energy so they are completely clear while all around is covered with snow! He said it was extremely cold outside but no problem inside the buildings because of heating. He went in the Blue Lagoon and described it being like going in blue soup - cool round the outside but very, very hot towards the middle. Apart from my swimsuit I am taking my walking boots, thick socks and lots of layers so will probably look quite round when togged up, but hopefully a bit better indoors minus the layers!

JanBeth
(Member)
Iceland is another place I have always wanted to visit, but very disappointed to see that it is not included in JY's brochure for 2013

Jan :(

Debzie
  • (Member)
(Member)
I'm lucky it is at New Year as my holidays are fixed and unfortunately apart from Iceland I think there are only two other holidays in the brochure that I can do, one of which doesn't appeal as I have visited there before. Hope you find somewhere that suits you, Jan.
sim1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Debzie' wrote:

'sim1' wrote:

See you all soon

Leatherhead surrey, not far really, well to heathrow anyway

SylviaJ
(Member)
'Mossie12' wrote:

Hi Mossie

I've been to Iceland twice - new year in 2010 and March 2011. It can be very cold with a biting wind so I suggest you take thermals and layers and a good pair of waterproof/warm boots and of course thermal socks! The New Year fireworks are spectacular.

If you've booked by now, enjoy. Happy to answer any questions about this trip.

Regards

Sylvia

skaylong
(Guest)
Hi there

Yes! I'm going. First trip with JY so quite nervous...

sim1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'skaylong' wrote:

Hi there

Don't be nervous just enjoy, this is only my second JY trip, I am sure we will all have a good holiday, so see you in iceland.

skaylong
(Guest)
Still a bit worried but also getting quite excited now. Have been on various holidays as a solo traveller but I've never been part of a group like this before. Always wanted to go to Iceland but never felt up to tackling it on my own. I think New Year will make it all the more special :)

'sim1' wrote:

'skaylong' wrote:

Hi there

Don't be nervous just enjoy, this is only my second JY trip, I am sure we will all have a good holiday, so see you in iceland.

Debzie
  • (Member)
(Member)
Have you all booked the excursions? Can anyone tell me if there will be more details coming about them??

Thanks

sim1
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Debzie' wrote:

Have you all booked the excursions? Can anyone tell me if there will be more details coming about them??

Thanks

From my last JY trip the only way to get more information of the excursions, other than on the web site or brochure, is to ring them.

I booked the lot, a slight saving but it saves having to pay when you get there and if places are set you know you are on the trip.

skaylong
(Guest)
'Debzie' wrote:

Thanks

I've booked Golden Circle and Northern Lights. There didn't seem to be much info available about them... do you know whether we get given info on what to pack, how much currency to take, etc?