SteveT
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

Off to Vietnam on 20th August and was wondering what currency to take. Some say American dollars rather that the Dong. Or should I take a combination of both??

Any advice from seasoned travelers would be appreciated.

JMCC
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi SteveT

I went to Vietnam just over a year ago.

My Vietnam tips are :-

Money – US Dollars are accepted everywhere that you go. Try to get small denomination US dollars, especially $1 bills. I pre-ordered my spending money from my local Post Office and asked them to include 100 x $1 bills - this was a good move because haggling in the local markets is part of the fun, but if you just have $20 notes (say) the local traders will just look blank.

Prices are generally shown in Vietnamese Dong and US dollars but remember there is about 20,000 Dong to $1- try getting your head round that!. The Dong price is usually slightly lower than the Dollar price (they round-up the Dollar price) but if you buy something priced as $3 with a $5 note, you will probably get change in Dong. This way you naturally collect Dong which can be spent during your holiday or used up as tips.

Hoi An – this town oozes with silk/material shops which will make bespoke clothes with something like a 24 hour turn-around, and yes they do men's shirts, suits etc as well. If this is something that interests you, get yourself measured up there, or bring a favourite shirt/top (or whatever) and get it reproduced. Prepare to haggle, but this is a chance to buy something special to remember your holiday by.

Best regards

Joyce

SteveT
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Joyce

Thank you very much indeed for the expansive and valuable info - just what I needed to see.

Thanks

Steve.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Joyce, thanks for the tips, I'm off to Vietnam next Feb! Could you repost this in the "share your travel tips" section and more people might see it and feel free to add any further tips that might be of use!

best wishes,

Bob

Eileen L
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Joyce, thanks for the tips, I'm off to Vietnam next Feb! Could you repost this in the "share your travel tips" section and more people might see it and feel free to add any further tips that might be of use!

best wishes,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I am off to Vietnam and Cambodia 13th Feb next year. Are you on same trip? I agree that all tips and advice are invaluable. I did Wonders of China in April --a marvellous experience and found info on website most helpful.Hope people who have been to Vietnam come up with help. Cannot wait for February --Have always wanted to visit Vietnam

Eileen L

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Eileen,

Yes that's the trip I'm on, doing the Cambodia add-on as well. I can't wait! I've googled all the places we are going to, to see some pictures of them and it looks like being a wonderful holiday! I love beautiful scenery and everyone says that Vietnam is stunning, so it should be great. I've just bought a camcorder so hopefully will capture some good video of the tour. Looking forward to meeting you then, take care,

Bob

HelenJ
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi All, I went to Vietnam & Cambodia with another singles company in May a couple of years ago.. It was SO sweltering hot. I bought in Boots an aerosol called MAGICOOL COOLSPRAY for travellers. Everyone on the trip kept asking me for a Squirt! You can just close your eyes & spray, it works instantly, never travel to hot places without it. I think Superdrug might do their own as well, as do Boots.

HelenJ

pat534
  • (Member)
(Member)
many thanks Joyce and Helen for your tips.

I am also on the Feb 13 trip so look forward to meeting you Bob and Eileen.I am travelling down from Manchester the day before and am planning to stay at a Heathrow hotel.Not decided which yet.

Eileen L
(Member)
'pat534' wrote:

I am also on the Feb 13 trip so look forward to meeting you Bob and Eileen.I am travelling down from Manchester the day before and am planning to stay at a Heathrow hotel.Not decided which yet.

Hi Pat,

I am travelling down from Glasgow the day before too.Just You have booked Novotel Hotel for me as return hopper drops at terminal 4 from that hotel where as other hotel hoppers drop at terminal 5 and early in the morning I do not want to have to negotiate the heathrow express to get to 4 Really excited about the holiday. look forward to meeting you and Bob

Regards,

Eileen

HelenJ
  • (Member)
(Member)
'pat534' wrote:

Stay at The Travelodge, only £25 for a double room to yourself & hotel bus runs to & from the airport, also about 4 other hotels too, £3 each way. Perfectly clean & adequate.

HelenJ

DENVAL
  • (Member)
(Member)
'pat534' wrote:

Re a hotel at Heathrow, there is a Holliday Inn just off junction 4 on m4 about two miles from the terminal, Buses run to and from the hotel for a small charge, this is used by airline cruise. Next door is a nice pub with good food at reasonable prices cheaper than the hotel.