mtdavis
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am thinking about booking the Peru Holiday but I am worried that I may have problems with the altitude as I have a chronic lung condition which normally does not affect me too much apart from when going up steep slopes etc when i can get out of breathe more easily than others. Will the high altitude affect me much?
SylviaJ
(Member)
'mtdavis' wrote:

I am thinking about booking the Peru Holiday but I am worried that I may have problems with the altitude as I have a chronic lung condition which normally does not affect me too much apart from when going up steep slopes etc when i can get out of breathe more easily than others. Will the high altitude affect me much?

Hi mtdavis

Don't mean to appear rude, but I would have thought your GP or practice nurse would be the best persons to give you advice on altitude affecting your condition.

Regards

Sylvia

mtdavis
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SylviaJ' wrote:

'mtdavis' wrote:

Hi mtdavis

Don't mean to appear rude, but I would have thought your GP or practice nurse would be the best persons to give you advice on altitude affecting your condition.

Regards

Sylvia

I did ask my GP but she was unable to give me any helpful advice so I wondered if anyone who had been on the trip could let me know if they had any problems.

Maureen

maglynn
(Member)
'mtdavis' wrote:

'SylviaJ' wrote:

'mtdavis' wrote:

Hi mtdavis

Regards

Sylvia

I did ask my GP but she was unable to give me any helpful advice so I wondered if anyone who had been on the trip could let me know if they had any problems.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I did that trip last September and lost a day through altitude sickness when we arrived in Cusco - never had any problems previously and a man on the trip who had asthma was fine.......our guide told us that it is pretty random who is affected. In any case, I was very well treated - a doctor was called and I received medication and advice and was okay within 24 hours - all covered by the company insurance. I would check with your GP, though, to be on the safe side, as it is a long, expensive trip and you want to enjoy it!

Regards

Marie

SylviaJ
(Member)

Maureen

Hi Maureen

Sorry your GP was unhelpful. Does your surgery offer a travel clinic? You might have to seek a private appointment which you will have to pay for. Alternatively, discuss with your insurer. (I paid under £48 to my GP recently for a yellow fever vaccination which included a 20 minute consultation for my trip to South Africa.)

Also, try googling "altitude sickness" there is lots of advice which suggests you take it easy, acclimatise and drink plenty of water.

Sylvia

JustAndy103
(Member)
Hi All

I have a friend in Peru At this present time, With Just You And managed to send me a message via Facebook at 3am This morning. Informing me it is probably the best trip she has ever had. And it is far better than she could have imagined.

And despite most of the group experiencing Altitude sickness at some point. Was still well worth the fabulous experience. And the slight discomfort is well worth it on this occasion.

Drink plenty or water and don't rush around is my advice

Regards Andy